[Let's Talk] What will be the design of the next OnePlus Flagship device?

1. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Aug 1, 2018

cdnfarmer , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Great question @2020amlog.

OnePlus was created to provide a flagship killer phone with proven technologies at low costs. I think that this philosophy will remain. Interestingly, the price has gone up so they may limit the upgrades to keep the price similar to the OnePlus6. Therefore, the OP6T may have the current (845) or the next generation of Snapdragon processor, improved camera and/or sensor or a third camera, dual / stereo speakers, and a large (4000-5000 mAh) battery.

Furthermore, the following items may be plausible based previous models and on comments seen throughout the forums:
    • The phone will probably be a similar size to the OnePlus 6; however, the screen realty may be enhanced.
    • The notched may disappear or be blended into a thin top bezel that includes the camera and sensor.
    • An equal size bezel on the top and bottom of the phone.
    • AMOLED display.
    • Fingerprint scanner in the back. However, there are many people who suggested having it on the front.
    • Camera aligned in the middle like the OP6.
    • The headphone jack is present.
    • Improvement to enhance water and dust resistance (whether or not it is IP certified).
    • Glass will probably be the material however aluminum, plastic or ceramic may be interesting too.
    • Available in multiple colours such as a flashy black, matte, white, sandstone (if its built without a glass back), Red, and a hybrid gradient that displays various colours based on how the phone reflects the light.
    • Bigger battery somewhere around 3800 – 4000mAh. However, an even larger battery of 5000 mAh would be interesting and a feature that would make the OP6T standout.
    • Dual SIM card slot. Perhaps include a microSD slot with it.
    What would be nice to have (and in some cases it may be unlikely) are:

1. A microSD slot.
    • Perhaps it could be added to the SIM tray slot or used in the place of a second SIM card (if only one SIM card is used). This way there would be the same amount of moving parts limiting its negative impact on water and dust resistance. Yes, I know with cloud storage etc that this option may not ever come to a OnePlus device however it is a good backup in case their is every a hardware or software issue.
    2. Wireless charging.
    • Yes, the technologies are not quite there and Fast charge is far superior. However, there have been lots of comments provided by various people ranging from users to reviewers that perhaps it may be included within the next 2-3 models.
    3. Telephoto lens.
    • This may be a long ways away but it would be interesting and provide more options to capture those life moments. Moreover, if there is a larger battery and the phone is a bit bigger, then there could be room to put such a lens.
    4. Make the camera flat with the phone.

What the phone should not have: The retractable camera. It is highly likely to fail or need to be replaced under warranty due to the wear and tear on many moving parts. It may also negatively affects the user experience if it takes longer than built-in camera to open the camera and take pictures. Again OnePlus usually goes with proven technologies and I think that the retractable camera has not yet proven its effectiveness and durability to warrant its inclusion in OnePlus products. It should never be included.

Therefore, the phone will probably be similar to the OP6 with some improvements including a large battery, camera, and dual or stereo speakers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

TibiTibi, 2020amolg and Fidda like this.
  2. The Scarlet Speedster
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

The Scarlet Speedster , Aug 1, 2018 :
    What I wish for:
    - A bigger battery. Around 3600+ would be really great. 3300mAh simply isn't sufficient, no matter how efficient the processor is. The rest of the hardware including display eats up battery big time.
    - Preferably smaller notch. It's clear that the notch is here to stay. Pop-up cameras aren't really going to cut it.
    - Fingerprint scanner moving back to the front. If it in-display, that's awesome.
    - A memory card slot, even if it just supports 32gb, that's fine.
    - I really don't mind NOT having extensive waterproofing or wireless charging or stereo speakers.
    - Since OP sources Samsung displays, I would really hope and wish for Samsung's newly announced UNBREAKABLE display instead of Corning's Gorilla Glass 6

With OP throwing up a lot of surprises lately on the software front (Treble , Android P for 3/3T, etc.), one could keep their expectations high, but I think it will be a more conservative list of changes.

Most likely to happen
    • A minor bump in the battery
    • In-display Fingerprint sensor (50/50 probability only)
    • Slight tweaks to the camera
    • a switch over to Gorilla Glass 6
    • A couple of enhancements to the display.
    Or with many NEW technologies not still available till end of year, maybe OP may even decide to skip the T and jump to an earlier launch of 7 next year.

3. Fidda
    Gingerbread Aug 1, 2018

Fidda , Aug 1, 2018 :
    The Oneplus is 6 is one of the thinnest (if not the thinnest) flagship devices right now. I don't think people will mind a slightly thicker phone if the battery is bigger. It would be nice if the cameras are incide the back.

4. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 2, 2018

luigimario , Aug 2, 2018 :
    As the T iterations have done so far, I think the 6T will be mostly the same while upgrading a few features. The 3T upgraded the SoC and the camera, and the battery. The 5T was a little more drastic with a form factor change.

I think the OP6 will keep the same internal specs. I don't see a new SoC coming in or a new camera. Storage and RAM options will likely stay the same too. The most likely changes I would guess would be maximizing screen real estate and possibly an in-glass FP sensor. Like the opening post said, OnePlus may choose to follow its sister companies and go for a pop-up camera. They may not though because I'm sure many people are worried about it breaking down. OP could alleviate that fear by providing an extended warranty on the camera mechanism from 1 year to 2 years or something like that.

The trend now is to go as close to bezeless as possible. They already moved the FP sensor to the back so why not move the camera too. They may add a FP sensor in glass if a reliable one can be found.

Wireless charging may be added as well if they stick with the glass back design. Otherwise, they might go back to a metal design, but considering the huge sales of the OP6, OP might choose to stick with the glass design. It would cut down on costs of changing too much about the 6T.

I suppose how much is/isn't changed will affect/depend on the price of the 6T. If the changes cost a lot more, then the price would rise. If it isn't much difference we may see the same price with better specs/features.

Either way, even though I don't intend to buy it, I will be looking forward to the OP6T launch and everything that comes with it.

meatandy, cdnfarmer and Fidda like this.
  5. Sathil
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2018

6. Viperoo
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2018

7. kesh_k9
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2018

kesh_k9 , Nov 22, 2018 :
    I want 1440p display and phone size of OP6 (bit more width). Please don't make it more taller. Also, a wide angle lens instead of depth sensing lens as second camera.

8. Tanweer07
    Cupcake May 16, 2019

Tanweer07 , May 16, 2019 :
    Still can't afford it but a big fan of the product and journey of oneplus....
    whatever device one plus launches somewhat perfect,still few suggestions for upcoming...Oneplus

--under display camera
    --wireless charging
    --automatically adjusting screen refresh rate(depending on battery percentage and activity)
    --more advanced face recognition technique

9. B1540463997376
    Cupcake May 23, 2019

B1540463997376 , May 23, 2019 :
    - Full Display almost 96% screen to body ratio
    - more faster way of unlocking the device
    - more better front camera positioning.
    - quad camera at the back
    - dual front camera
    - more better and faster warp charge

10. Steps Parku (DJ STEPS)
    Gingerbread May 23, 2019

Steps Parku (DJ STEPS) , May 23, 2019 :
    the camera has always been a big disappointment, even the 7 Pro is not good. it still lags far behind iPhone X, P30 pro, S10+ and even Pixel 3a. since OnePlus is on flagship level. at Least an entry camera performance as pixel should do.

and try to include Irda. infrared senso gets us a portable remote with our Device.

11. Gurudutt Adke
    Froyo May 26, 2019