[Let's Talk] What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

1. Ruby G. Creative Copywriter Staff Member Apr 23, 2018

Ruby G., Apr 23, 2018 :
    Congratulations! You've stumbled upon one of our stickied question forum posts. Take a look at the question below and write a response if it interests you. Feel free to post your response on this thread or start a new thread if your response is over 500 words (be sure to copy & paste the question into a new thread and tag me so I notice).

What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

Posts of 300 – 1000 words will be automatically entered in to our ongoing rewards program and potentially be chosen to move to the next level. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

Update:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

2. Liehjan KitKat Apr 23, 2018

Liehjan, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Not 300 words but this message is really deep...
    Fall down seven times, stand up eight

3. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Some people tend to say “Yes” in almost every situation without thinking about the obstacles they might face. This has happened to me a ton of times. So, my parents gave me this advice “Learn to say no

I didn’t understand that earlier, but I do understand that now. And after going through a few years of my life, I have learned the importance of saying NO. There would be several situations where it would be much better to say no. I am going to give a few examples here.

Drugs/Illegal Activities: I hope this is not the case with anyone here. But in case you are offered drugs even by your friends, then just say no. Also, ask them to stop and not to take them either. Also, inform them about the disadvantages of those things. This small word “No” would save both of your lives.

Prioritizing your work: Suppose you have your exams next week and you’re invited for a party. Many would say just yes but telling no would help here. You have a meeting tomorrow morning, tell no to the booze party at night.

Prioritize your opportunities: Considering that you have several opportunities, you can’t just say yes for every single one of them. You have to say no, even if it hurts.

Prioritize people: Consider that you’ve to go and meet two or more groups of people at the same time, you are not a superhuman who would be able to pull that off. You need to prioritize them and say no to the less prior ones.

No to something you don’t want to do: Maybe, you’re a student or maybe you’re an employee or maybe you’re a CEO of some company, but there’s this specific something which you personally don’t want to do. Just say no to it. You might be saying no to the higher authorities which might hurt them, but your soul is going to feel good.

Saving embarrassment: You take up some job by saying yes to everything the employer asked for, even though you weren’t aware about some things. This puts you in a critical condition where the employer expects those things from you, but you won’t be able to deliver. Saying no would save you from this embarrassment.

Okay, these were just some of the examples where saying a simple word “No” would help you. But remember that these are not the only conditions. There might be many more circumstances where saying No would be helpful and better than saying Yes. Just learn to say it.

Thanks for reading this. And that’s all I had to write here.

@Ruby G. Would you like to add anything to this? :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

4. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Apr 23, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Well, not really the longest, but probably one of the strongest 3 words someone has said to me^^
    "You do you".

5. Punk_69 Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

Mjo, agoinfly, NeVeR_SeTTLe and 5 others like this.
  6. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

BobbyV8_, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Advice of 300 words! That'd be a lecture. I'll try to explain the advice along with the scenario.
    The best advice of my life - Never run for it, make it come to you

I’m not an experienced leader but been combating school & college to establish an impression. When I started my professional course, the challenge has stepped up from standing out in the crowd to setting an expert vision and success. This started my debacle, and I failed in my exam for the first time and further failed in life.

A vivid light of faith, a gift of God entered my world and won my heart in no time. I was worried when she said ‘we need to talk’ but that session cleared the clouds and paved path for a better and wonderful life.

She fired questions at me
    Heidi: Have you studied for grades in school or college?
    Me: No
    Heidi: You succeeded.

Heidi: Did you ever go in search of love?
    Me: Nope
    Heidi: You won my soul.

Heidi: Did you struggle to be the best candidate or force our team to be the best?
    Me: No
    Heidi: You made it happen.

I was confused, why she was asking such childish things keeping the war I had to win aside. As she advanced to solve the riddle, I was left in tears not understanding why I’ve committed such mistake and what else would’ve been accomplished if I never tried to win but just did the job ought to be performed.

The lesson taught:
    Yes, she doesn’t want me to ride for success but serve to lay the winning road so that victory comes to me.

Life has become peaceful and happy, I was not winning every battle but I never lost hope to triumph. All I had to do is set my target and fight the war like a warrior.

The process of capturing, developing, sharing, and effectively using it, a multi-disciplined approach to achieve the goal is when it becomes the best advice of our life. She didn’t stop at throwing a free advice but stood with me giving energy to stick with the plan.

I’ve trekked biggest of obstacles with ease and now another task stands to be vanquished. She held my hand and said with a smile on her face “Never run for it, make it come to you

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

PhFS, Multi8ball, Praty_28 and 13 others like this.
  7. theshinybeast Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

toastytoast1234, pa5t1s, Mjo and 5 others like this.
  8. Pramod5 Eclair Apr 23, 2018

Pramod5, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Not 300 words but it's deep

don’t believe in taking right decisions, take decisions and make them right.”

edink515, Mjo, Ruby G. and 6 others like this.
  9. viking_vp3 Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

viking_vp3, Apr 23, 2018 :
    The best life advice for me is
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    Oscar Wilde
    no matter what happen in my life, my best achievement were when i was myself. acting or pretending harm human and his/her way of life. and even others do not trust you anymore. every being is special in his/her way so why be others?! we can conquer our world in our specific way.
    and by the way it is hard to write 300 words for this matter. o_O

10. Dresa91 Oreo Apr 23, 2018

Dresa91, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Next one: What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

I don't think there is THE best life advice.

In the course of my almost 26.5 year old life there is a lot of advice that is and was good.

I think you really have to divide life into phases here.

And also the question arises for me: at what age can a person consciously understand, interpret and then follow advice?

As a child you get quite a lot of advice, be it the advice of your parents or grandparents. Whereby here one followed rather the advice of the grandparents, because the time, which one spent with the grandparents, was substantially rarer than the time with the parents - and anyway: as a child the parents were anyway most stupid.

As a child, I think you've often heard: "Stay curious". One should be open to new things and inquisitive. Discover the world and form unbiased opinions. "Remaining curious" may be the motto for my childhood, but it is also good advice that can be applied to adulthood.

Without curiosity you can't evolve and evolve in a time that is rapidly changing extremely important.

"Listen to your heart" is also one of the most important advice in life. The heart can lead you well through life. Because with the heart, we see every person regardless of their origin, skin colour, gender or age.

Finally, the advice "you learn from your mistakes" is very important. This advice is accompanied by "Stay curious". Only if you can and are allowed to make mistakes as a human being can you learn and develop from them. Because this is the only way to make every person unique. And uniqueness and love characterize the human being.

Therefore, it is difficult to say that there must be THE best advice. I think advice must be appropriate to a person and to the situation a person is in at the moment. This is the only way to get a toolbox of wisdom and experience.

11. Bobbie63 Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

12. The1Lion Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

The1Lion, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Be yourself. You cannot please everyone so don't get caught up trying to do it. Don't change to be accepted by others (unless it's for the best of course). Sometimes you just have to say No.

Unless you're @meatandy then you say "yes dear" or "sure sweety" ;):D:p

puccellino, pa5t1s, Praty_28 and 11 others like this.
  13. GopalB. Marshmallow Apr 23, 2018

GopalB., Apr 23, 2018 :
    So best advice!
    This is a good one, Let me think...
    I think advice is something that depends on time/age/situation...
    Let's start with few stories...

1. Don't Trust Strangers: So yeah, I guess either my parents forgot to tell me this one or I forgot about it... :p My school was far from my home, so my parents opted for pickup/drop van service. And one day the van driver was late and at the usual spot (inside school) some other van was parked. So me being an overexcited kid, jumped aboard that van (which was not going anywhere near my home area). Fortunately the driver checked all the kids before leaving and saw me, and he knew that I was from another van.
    That was the time when he took me to my van and asked me, "Do you know this guy (pointing at my usual driver)?"
    I said, yes.
    Then he asked me, "Do you know me?"
    I said, no.
    And then he advised, not to trust any stranger or sit in unknown vehicle.
    So how I remember this incident??? Because after this, my driver told that story to my mom and she still reminds that to me from time to time!!! :oops:

2. Own Your Mistakes: So this happened when I was in 5th or 6th grade. We were playing a friendly cricket game in school and our team lost. After which our sports coach asked our team on what went wrong. And everyone started blaming each other. After few minutes coach told us something that I'll never forget.
    He said, "Its too easy to blame each other and too hard to find your own mistakes". He continued, "And if you wanna win in life, own your mistakes!".
    After this he told us few stories from his life and basically spoiled out sports period... :rolleyes:

3. There are no Shortcuts in Life: I was preparing for competitive exams, so that I could get into better colleges after school. And at that time I learned about various sources, that used to help you secure a seat in those colleges for a hefty fee. And me being me, asked about those sources to my math teacher. He gave me straight and simple reply, "There is no shortcuts in Life"...
    He said, "Don't waste your time in looking for shortcuts and put some work into it. He can secure a place for you in that college but then what? Who has to do all the work after that? What about semester exams? What about placements? Would you look for shortcuts there as well?"
    And since then, I stopped looking for shortcuts...

4. Confidence is the Key: So it was my first external lab exam in college and during that, even when I knew the answers, I was not that confident while answering the questions my external examiner was asking.
    After the exam was over, the internal examiner (who knew me) called me and said, "You know, you should be confident. Sometimes even if you don't know the answers, your confidence is enough to put the other person in doubt. And that' when you can call yourself a winner!"

5. You don't Lose Until You Quit Trying: This is something my first manager always used to say. I have many stories for this one, but I think this is something which everyone should experience for themselves and not just read or listen about.
    Its just about trusting yourself.
    I know these are just a small fraction of things to learn from life and I'm hoping I'll learn much more in future... :)

And lastly, something that I tell others...

Don't Expect too much from Anyone
    As too much expectations can end up in you getting hurt emotionally. And you can't even blame others for that, as it was your fault for expecting too much. I'll just end this with:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

14. Dresa91 Oreo Apr 23, 2018

Dresa91, Apr 23, 2018 :
    this is a good advice :D

BrigitteM, Mjo, agoinfly and 5 others like this.
  15. GopalB. Marshmallow Apr 23, 2018

Mjo, agoinfly, viking_vp3 and 4 others like this.
  16. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Anticipation. Anxiousness. Adorable. Giggles. Babble. Walk. Words associated with babies! From the moment they open their eyes, to the moment they make their first poop – parents want to protect and give as much care as needed. Heck! We were babies once too. We googoo gaagaa’d all over. Parents have a tough job raising us. When we were babies, parents had to keep their eyes all the time on us not for us to wander off. When we were adolescents, they kept us fed, gave us a home, clothed us and punished us when we did something wrong. As life progressed further on, we became teenagers and that is where life became a little tricky. Parents did realize this as we brought home our troubles and even happiness sometimes (but mostly the troubles) :D

I remember when I was 15 years old bringing home bad grades and saw my Mom’s face. She was so pissed that I didn’t know whether to run away or hide?! I deserved on whatever I got that day but the next day my Mom sat down with me and gave me some advice on life. Are you ready to hear what is was? Of course you do! So here it is: “You can have friends. You can party. You can have free time but remember, your first priority is YOU. You are the one responsible for where your life will go – to the right, to the left, to the bottom or to the top. If you go right, you choose a life of pity and self-regret. If you go to the left, you choose a life where everything else will be more important than YOU. If you go to the bottom, you will go down with the narcotics, drunk, criminals and will end up in prison. If you go to the top, you will choose a life where you will make something out of yourself and know your rights from wrongs. You will help others and your family and friends. You will be the person in control and in charge of you, yourself and your life. So, choose your path.”

When I had the chat with my Mom, I saw on my Mom’s face pain and sorrow. I think it was a time where my Mom realized that she could do only so much with me and the only way she could make me realize what am I doing is by having this chat with her. After that, I took life by its horns and pulled those horns in what direction I wanted them to be pulled. This life advice I will remember forever in my heart. It made me the man I am today. The man that I was supposed to be. The man that realized his own self-destruction. The man that stood up tall to all these things and conquered.

@Ruby G. Thanks for yet another opportunity to give my writing skills a chance :)

17. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Apr 23, 2018

Cheetosdust, Apr 23, 2018 :
    During my life, a few people have told me even fewer words that still echo inside of me. Not only the words, but the moment and the feelings attached to them. I can lie and dance around the figure of being impune to periods less than ideal; I can pretend I lived my life without my knee touching the ground.

But when my knee was on the ground when the sun was nothing but a warm coat to the shoulders of the others, when someone was all the humanity to me and looked me in the eyes. The expression of a helping ladder, all the books in the world with that look, that’s still a snapshot of a friendship. And she said:

- Always search between the rubble.

And left me with my thoughts. She was still there by my side, but she knew all it was needed was silence. There’s always a sense of an organized bookshelf when an advice clicks with you, at least for me. In the next ten minutes, it was like I could actually feel all those cloudy and gray feelings being rearranged. Two humans frozen and just feeling, side by side, like a warmth celestial hug was hugging them, was hugging us, was immortalizing a friendship beyond two beating hearts - because these are the moments that can live even with a beating heart and a memory.

And then, then she looked at me again and added:

- Even when you are under it.

That was the whole advice that still is the best life advice I ever gotten. “Always search between the rubble, even when you are under it”.

At the time, it was clinical. The best words chosen to be delivered with the best timing. I never asked her if she came up with that and never asked what she actually meant. It’s not needed. Like with the great books and the great poems and the great art, it’s also about what you get from something, not only what the writer or the artist meant.

For me those words still give me hope, still make me feel that the sun can be a warm coat for my shoulders as well. When you look between the rubble, you have hope; and when you are under the rubble, you have hope for yourself. Even if you are all the way down there, look for the people who are looking for you, feed the hope with the faces and the love and the care of the people you have in your life.

If you feel like you have all the rubble in the world over your shoulders and even if that rubble is so thick that the sunlight is nothing but a distant light shining on other's faces, just search and search and search; push the knee you have on the ground to lift the whole body until you are stepping on that same rubble.

Mark that place and dance on top of it, eat your way out of the rubble if you have to. There’s a friend for you, you just have to look for her/his eyes. If it eludes you, look closer, look harder. Lose yourself in those words, because sometimes words can make you stronger, can make you take the bite and the first bite of something sour is always the hardest.

I searched between the rubble to find myself under it. And sometimes that’s the first bite you have to take. Find your way and open a window, until that window is a door, until that door is just there to be kicked down. Because sometimes, what you need is someone’s eyes telling you “hello, it’s time to get out of here”. Sometimes, a sunny day is the rest of your life waiting for you.

Hope this makes any sense @Ruby G. And thanks for the opportunity to give my friend and her advice a voice.

buntycubal, RJBoss, GopalB. and 15 others like this.
  18. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Apr 23, 2018 :
    I'll note this down :) Thanks for sharing such a good advice :D *Thanks to your friend as well*

Mjo, Ruby G., agoinfly and 6 others like this.
  19. Bobbie63 Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

Bobbie63, Apr 23, 2018 :
    At first, reading @Ruby G. post, my thoughts were:

"300 - 1000 words"? That's not an advice, that's a lecture!

Reading your post, made me realize opposite.

Great read again.

Mjo, Ruby G., agoinfly and 4 others like this.
  20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Apr 23, 2018 :
    There are some amazing, time-proven advices I have got and there are a few that can be listed here. But for the sake of this thread that asks us to list only one, I'll choose the one that is applicable to success in life.

"Follow your PASSION and strive for EXCELLENCE. Success will follow."

Striving for excellence is not only necessary for our own success, but also to make a measurable and meaningful difference to the world.

What is success?

Success in life is anything that gives us inner peace, satisfaction and an overall sense of well-being and happiness. That is the ultimate objective of being successful in life and money is just one of the means to get there (in part).

Often, success is directly correlated with the amount of wealth a person has, assuming that wealth was earned by the person and not inherited. But that is a very small and limited definition/ understanding of success.

Sure, we all work to make money, to give ourselves a comfortable lifestyle, increase our access and reach to various luxuries in life. But that isn't the focus/ end objective of everyone. They are just a result of something else that we pursue. Often, the richest and most successful have confirmed that they never set out with money as the primary objective.

Want to 'live' or just survive?

While I was taught during my childhood days that one must be a 'jack of all trades' so it is easier to survive under different circumstances, I had to unlearn that teaching as I grew up because we need to 'live', not just 'survive'. Being a jack of all trades may help us survive in difficult and unforseen circumstances, but such situations are few and far between.

In a connected world, that we live in today, where there is competition in every aspect of life, we already need to do a lot just to survive with dignity. But that isn't enough to keep anyone happy. To live life on our own terms, there has to be something about ourselves that sets us apart from the rest. That can be anything. But whatever that is, we should excel in it. The key is to be a master in one, than jack of all.

What is excellence?

Excellence is the quality/ ability to do whatever we do, really well. So well that it makes a significantly positive difference to the world around us, and makes us stand out in the crowd. For excellence, it is almost a necessity that we follow our passion.

What is passion?

A very strong, natural instinct and love for something. We are human beings and no robots. To be able to excel in anything we do, there has to be consistent, persistent and unfettered efforts. This kind of an approach to what we do has to come from within. That is what we define as 'passion'.

Where lies our passion?

That is something every individual has to find out. No one is born with that knowledge. Each one of us need to identify where our interests lie, what our strengths and weaknesses are, and what we want to do in life. This self-identification isn't something that will happen overnight. It is a process that can take years of thinking, observation, guidance, counselling and experience.

Here is a wonderful illustration (Source: Bing):

39F62088-E6B7-4E41-8BB4-31E6E198ED8C.jpeg

As depicted in the picture, magic happens when we move out of our comfort zone. Inside the comfort zone, we are usually just surviving. To have a great life, we need to be in the Magic Zone. In order to 'live' our lives, we need to follow our passion, which eventually pushes us out of our comfort zone, making us excel in what we do and suddenly we find ourselves in the Magic Zone, which is much larger and where we find all we want, and where success just follows.

In the Comfort Zone, we do all the work.
    In the Magic Zone, our skills & talents, our investments, reputation, etc. work for us.

Advice for OnePlus

In the highly competitive smartphone industry, where you have to keep up with the latest technologies and the features that competition has to offer, do not lose focus on the basics. One of the best things of OnePlus smartphones is the software - Oxygen OS. The simplicity, along with some additional customisations are the most appreciated aspect of your phones.

In pursuit of keeping up with latest developments, do not forget that your best bet in staying ahead of competition is still to excel in basics (remember Google Pixel 2? They did with one camera what others couldn't do with two. They excelled in basics.). Keeping the software lightweight, improving and excelling in existing features like the Camera, Battery, Memory Management, etc. will always remain the most important path to success.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

buntycubal, jaybopinwar, aris and 8 others like this.