[Let's Talk] What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

1. Paschfire Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2018

Paschfire, Apr 23, 2018 :
    Never eat yellow snow.

Unfortunately not 300~1000 words of advice, but still a very important life lesson imho.

2. agoinfly Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

3. Mjo Lollipop Apr 24, 2018

Mjo, Apr 24, 2018 :
    If there is a will, there is a way.

Nine words. Simple. Ordinary.

But this is the first, commonly used and last advice given to me by a special someone who raised and helped mold the person I am today.

It’s not that hard to understand. You don’t need a dictionary to translate every word. If your determination is strong enough, you can conquer anything no matter how difficult it is – and that’s it.

School, work, friends and family – there will always be problems that will arise. Sometimes it’s easy, sometimes it’s hard. But no matter what, we strive to solve it.

When I was in high school, we were having a Physics exam (my weakness) one Tuesday morning. I studied hard all night memorizing all those formulas and terminologies, but when I woke up the next day all information was erased. It’s like my mind had a factory reset overnight. I was panicking, crying and nervous because I’m afraid of failing (I’m too sensitive I know). Then my grandma approached me. She just hugged me and told me those nine words – “if there is a will, there is a way”. It’s not the best of advice but I knew at that time, it was meaningful because it came from her. It gave me enough boost to think of a plan. So, I got up, wiped my tears, went back to my room and pretended that I was sick. Not that good, but hey at least I was excused and was permitted to take the exam the next day (and I passed!)

Advises are composed of words written constructively to mean something. It can be interpreted in many ways to make an impact in your life or be used in a situation.

But for me, no matter what (good) advice, if coming from a very special person it will be meaningful – and possibly become the greatest in life (
    Those nine words did, it became the greatest and I can still hear her saying it every time I struggle in life. :>)

Thanks @Ruby G. for this topic. Quite an emotional post for me in memory of her.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

4. 2020amolg Honeycomb Apr 24, 2018

2020amolg, Apr 24, 2018 :
    The best life advice I have ever received was given to me when I was in Karate going for my novice black belt test (belt before black belt). Before this test, I have always done remarkably well in class. I never had to retest, I always got everything on the first try, and I was always the top of the class.

All of that changed the day I took my novice black belt test.
    When I started the test, I was getting weird looks from the judges when I was doing my kicks and punches, so I thought I had to give myself more power. Later, I kept trying to increase my power and speed, but the judges still weren't looking at me nicely.
    I was trying as best I could, and when it got time for my final part, the sparring test, I was making sure I was pushing myself to the max. In the end, I didn't have that usual sense of confidence I always had when I took. I was actually scared that I may not be able to pass.
    The judges came back and told me I had to retest for the belt again.

I was heartbroken, and in that instant, I wanted to take my current belt off and throw it at them saying they were wrong and I was doing everything correctly, but I just took their words, and went back home, crying. I didn't go to karate for a whole week because I was devasted and hung up on the failure I received from the test.

My dad came into my room and told me he was going to karate today to cancel my membership, and at that moment, I said no. He asked me why and I said I was going to continue, but later. He told me that he was waiting for that response and told me my best life advice ever. You may fall down in times where you least expect, but it doesn't matter about the fall, it matters about how quickly and efficiently I get up.

I went back to karate the next day and kept waiting patiently for six months for the next novice test.

When the time finally came, I was automatic. I was crushing the competition and destroying the test, always having my dad's words in my mind... Later, the judges told me I got a perfect score, and that the next black belt test was in May. Today, I currently have my black belt and teaching a sparring class every Saturday, and it was all because of my dad's words resonating with me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

cdnfarmer, Mjo, NeVeR_SeTTLe and 6 others like this.
  5. 2020amolg Honeycomb Apr 24, 2018

2020amolg, Apr 24, 2018 :
    I love that quote from three idiots.

6. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 24, 2018

BobbyV8_ likes this.
  7. rw0584 Froyo Apr 26, 2018

8. PJayy Froyo Apr 26, 2018

PJayy, Apr 26, 2018 :
    Loved the post above, I think it's very true for people as well.

If you improve and excel at the most basic parts of being human then everything else is additional bonuses

rw0584 likes this.
  9. Radeon962 KitKat Apr 26, 2018

Radeon962, Apr 26, 2018 :
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet especially if it is followed by #HYPE or #NeverSettle

10. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Apr 26, 2018

BobbyV8_, Apr 26, 2018 :
    Oh Bobbie, you've copied me!? Now don't you prove we both are Bobby/ie :p:tearsofjoy:

puccellino, PhFS and Bobbie63 like this.
  11. Bobbie63 Lollipop Apr 26, 2018

Bobbie63, Apr 26, 2018 :
    Oh wow, sorry......, I really should start reading properly before posting. I just feel like aan idiot now.

(Oh well, I guess it just official now. Or...)

puccellino likes this.
  12. aris Jelly Bean Apr 26, 2018

13. CrownedSusanoo Honeycomb Apr 26, 2018

CrownedSusanoo, Apr 26, 2018 :
    I've gotten a lot. Especially from my dad.
    I can't really remember every single advice he gave me but one sure stuck. "When following the crowd. Would it make sense to follow them to your death?" I think i reworded it but it meant the same thing. He basically told me I shouldn't copy everything people do. Trying to fit in, doing stupid things, smoking, drinking, all of that. Eventually I got the picture he gave after trying those things myself and was like, "What am I even getting from this? This isn't doing anything for me."
    I love and respect my dad the most of anyone I've come in contact with.

14. Lancelot_69 Lollipop Apr 26, 2018

Lancelot_69, Apr 26, 2018 :
    You can eat your gambling money but you can't gamble your eating money.
    Never grab the wrong end of the stick.

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  15. the_o2 Lollipop Apr 27, 2018

the_o2, Apr 27, 2018 :
    Too lazy to write 300 word that too using colorful fonts.
    Generally no one gives life advice in 300 word that's become boring.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

buntycubal likes this.
  16. yukeshyk Eclair Apr 27, 2018

17. yukeshyk Eclair Apr 27, 2018

18. O1511348374175 Cupcake Apr 27, 2018

O1511348374175, Apr 27, 2018 :
    Don't think of final Success Outcomes while working

This is my personal experience,I had to clear Math's M-1 Exam,In My midsem I got 3/40 I haven't studied well so I need to score 27 to pass, Instead of focusing on studying the subject I was always thinking of outcome whether I will pass or fail.What will happen to my life if I fail , Always thinking of final Outcome which eventually led to tension I got 10 marks and eventually failed.If I would have spent my time instead of worrying about my final Success Outcome I think I would have passed

Time and Life Are great Teachers
    There Was M-2 Course in Same Year,As usual I studied at last moment and in M-2 midsem I got 5/50 to pass I need 25/50 before that I haven't scored double digits in my exams.So I started studying 1month before exams and strategically focused what teacher asks for exam point and Stopped giving bullshit thoughts about my failure .I got exact 25 marks class highest was 35.
    I thought of running away somewhere because I couldn't accept my failure I worked hard and now getting good grades.Friends this is my advice
    Don't worry about past or future focus on present.Accept Failure, Failure is just byproduct of Future Success

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  19. Adam_balloon Gingerbread Apr 27, 2018

Adam_balloon, Apr 27, 2018 :
    Failure is the key to success. There is only resolve after both question and unease.
    Sometimes the only way to get better is to fail, question and keep pushing harder.

Ruby G. likes this.
  20. Akhshay Srinivasan Marshmallow Apr 27, 2018