[Let's Talk] What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

1. Matt 80
    Lollipop Apr 27, 2018

Matt 80 , Apr 27, 2018 :
    If a woman is upset, hold her and tell her how beautiful she is.
    If she starts to growl, retreat to a safe distance and throw chocolate at her.

2. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Apr 27, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Apr 27, 2018 :
    @Sharinnn grrrrrr
    Lmao :tearsofjoy:

3. Matt 80
    Lollipop Apr 27, 2018

Shivang Joshi and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  4. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Apr 27, 2018

Shivang Joshi and Matt 80 like this.
  5. Enduser1992
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2018

6. Vignesh_chandz
    Honeycomb Apr 29, 2018

Vignesh_chandz , Apr 29, 2018 :
    Like many sons, my Dad was a extraudinary influence on me. A tough, strict no game playing dad who loved me and my family always came up with no say attitude.
    My dad is a small time entrepreneur who always says , “Yes! Life is full of surprises.” You will not know what's parting or narrowing your ways down., It just happens.
    I learned a lot from my Dad. There are two pieces of advice he always gave me that have guided me through my career, and I think they’ll prove as valuable to you as they still are to me :

"Take your chances when you’re young , don't wait and regret"

Take your chances when you’re young.It’s such an obvious thing to take chances when you are young. Why? It’s very simple. If you fail or the company fails, you have plenty of time to bounce back. You will have plenty of choice and may take as many chances feeling the urge to make it big.

When young you have less to worry and be more focused rather than the usual mid career guy takes a lot of thinking taking chances, who tends to focus more about the living expenses. This piece of advice kind of relates to ONEPLUS as, a group of young product engineers decides to change the way we think about quality smartphone technology with affordable pricing. Being a very young successful company they stand near the likes of Apple and Samsung. If the chance pays off, you can jumpstart your career and, perhaps, become a very senior executive or even a CEO at a young age. Hence starting Young is the most important advice to anyone wishing to make it big.

"Don’t worry about wallets, worry about the opportunity, and money will follow"

Don’t worry about money, worry about the opportunity, and money will follow.Let me start with what I am not saying: I am not suggesting you should take a job that doesn’t pay a reasonable wage. I am saying that making money the be-all of your decision making process, especially at the beginning of your career, is a mistake.

As Steve Jobs said , It’s a very small, connected world, so don’t burn bridges.
    "Connect the dots from behind"
    People have long memories when you piss them off. Learn at an early age to handle yourself with class and grace.

It’s amazing who knows who in today’s social LinkedIn worl or maybe Twitter Spend a day in a industry and you will understand why people say, “industries are just a comma ” with all the engaging entrepreneurs scratching every part to make it wholesome making it big with an another industry.
    Network, network, and then network some more. I didn’t think about it until recently, but every contact I have ever had, has come as the result of my network. From the day joined out of college, to the company i am fond of, my network was critical.
    Do you want to start a company one day? Do you dream of raising venture capital? Well, you better have a good network because VCs rarely take meetings based on blind emails.
    Do you want to move from the technology industry to a career in Management? Your network is the key to making that change.The tools available to you today make it really easy to build a strong network. Considering that wherever you end up working, it’ll be in a small valley, use those tools – and your personality – to build relationships that will help you fulfill your career goals.
    My dad always said , Get to know people everyday , atleast two people a day cuz
    " the world is small but hearts are huge "

Remember ,

" If not Now When ? , If not You Who ? " @Ruby G.

This thing will drive us forever urging us to make it big until never !.

7. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Apr 29, 2018

8. BrigitteM
    Cupcake Apr 29, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  9. jaybopinwar
    Eclair Apr 29, 2018

jaybopinwar , Apr 29, 2018 :
    Money can't buy happiness...
    But i believe it can.
    Not for yourself, but for others.
    Try buying a coke and drinking it all by yourself....
    Does this make you happy??
    Yes, only in thier ads.
    Now, do a favour on yourself and give a coke to a stranger.. Maybe the one sitting next to you in a restaurant.
    Got a hint of smile on his face???
    Believe me, It will make you satisfied more than a coke ever will.... (except in summer!! Lol)

10. anismail2001
    Gingerbread Apr 29, 2018

anismail2001 , Apr 29, 2018 :
    My dad told me "It doesn't matter whether the sun shines today or not. What matters most is you shine from within. So, shine out and make this day a bright and special one... Like every other day."

11. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Apr 29, 2018

brian.sedore , Apr 29, 2018 :
    There a few things that I have been lucky to have discovered over the years. A few things that I would like to share follow.
    1. If at all possible, try the “Live and learn” approach backwards. Sometimes, the living part of this saying has provided lots of regrets. Think through the consequences thoroughly for the big decisions. When you learn first, the living comes a lot easier.

2. Relationships shouldn’t be “work”. While times can be difficult while in a relationship (job isn’t going well, short on money, don’t spend enough time with loved ones, etc.), the relationship shouldn’t be work. If you have found the right person, the other stuff will just work out.

3. Take a minute before getting worked up. A teacher I once knew was playing golf with a friend who had a terrible ailment that had no cure. At one point, this teacher hit a terrible shot into a sandtrap. Shortly after, the rain started falling. The teacher got a bit angry and complained to his friend. The friend simply said, “Relax. It’s not that bad.” When you take a step back and look at your situation, the majority of the time it is not worth getting worked up.

4. Think before you speak. I realize this is a tough one. A lot of the time, it is much easier to not have a filter. Whatever you think, let it fly. When you’re with friends or family or someone you know who is not exactly “politically correct”, let it fly. If there’s the possibility that you might say something offensive around somebody you don’t quite know or something you might regret later, take a second before you speak.

5. Live the life you want to live. Don’t be taken in by social media. The lifestyle people portray on social media are generally screenshots of the best of somebody’s life. If you are not happy doing something, do what makes you happy. If you would prefer to live a solitary lifestyle travelling on your own, do it. If you want to be the outgoing social butterfly people love at parties, do it. As long as it is a healthy desire for you and others, do it.

6. Be considerate. Enough said.

12. _Akshay_Ms_
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. Black Forest Ham
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Apr 30, 2018

Black Forest Ham , Apr 30, 2018 :
    "Always take the time to think about something from the other party's perspective." It's these words that have really helped shape me into who I am today, imparted to me by none other than my mother.

Considering an alternate viewpoint can be frightening, for it causes you to question your own convictions. However, it's through this cross-analysis that you can gain a thorough and open-minded understanding on a topic that you may have possibly been one-sided and blinded on. This also develops empathy for fellow people, and more importantly, the capacity for effective and lasting conflict resolution. It's also through the understanding of the perspective of the other party that one can also consider and adjust their own actions, seek to improve their image, and subsequently better themselves.

This consideration of the “other side” is a big part of why I believe in OnePlus as a company, and is what I believe is a great part of their widespread success. The continued consideration of the user, especially the community they’ve garnered is a huge step in setting themselves apart from the larger brands with closed or totalitarian attitudes, and really resonates with me as positive change in the industry.
    Even with little events like the “Let’s Talk” questions, OnePlus establishes that they listen to and interact with their customers. However, it's also true that there have been a few mishaps in transparency in the past, and I understand that some users may have been left feeling burnt. That being said, I feel that OnePlus is definitely maturing, and though there’s room for improvement, I’m very excited to see them continue considering us, the users.

Coming in at a close second for some of the best advice I've received though, was that one time a mysterious, possibly inebriated, stranger at a bus stop reminded me to "always look out for #1." Maybe with OnePlus, that has a double meaning? :p

Thanks again to @Ruby G. for hosting this Let's Talk challenge! It's been a fun ride and it's great to see all the community's different perspectives!

Ruby G., idkwhoiam322 and Mjo like this.
  14. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Apr 30, 2018

Bouncer71 , Apr 30, 2018 :
    hmmm...
    Another really good question...!

Thinking about it, I can't recall anyone actually giving me that one advise that change my life or pushed me in a certain direction...

Not even my father...
    He was a man of a lot of words and storys but never of any direct advices...

It's more like that I followed his way of life and thinking and the role model of people I met through out the years ...

I guess the first things I learned was to stay true to yourself and try to have fun whatever you do..
    The second always give the best you can, even if you fail at the end...
    And if so, never take your self too seriously.
    If you can't laugh about yourself you'll be laughed at.
    Always feel empathy for others or you don't deserve theirs but stand strong to your own believes..

Sometimes not to care at all.

Never look back in remorse cause everything you did made you the person you are..!
    Can't change it anyways, change only happens today...

Don't think too much about the future, things gonna happen you can't control and death is inevitable...

I could go on and on with this almost universal wisdoms and tell about how it happened that I evolved to the person I am today...

But that all is meaningless without LOVE...

The love for family, kids, friends and humanity...

If you look at the infinte Universe we live in we are nothing but a grain of sand and I'm sure glad I found the LOVE of my life in this sandbox...

My wife...!

15. kanaancollins
    Froyo May 1, 2018

kanaancollins , May 1, 2018 :
    every time you fall, every time you break, that is you being prepared for something much better

16. hotsauce
    Lollipop May 1, 2018

hotsauce , May 1, 2018 :
    There is a song for that :)

meatandy likes this.
  17. MobileTechMatters
    Gingerbread May 2, 2018

MobileTechMatters , May 2, 2018 :
    The best life experience I've ever received was a conversation I had with my Uncle Al when I was very young. I don't remember it exactly as it was told to me because I was so young but I remember having a conversation about studying hard and doing good in school and how it was important get good grades.....yadda yadda yadda. I was felt very discouraged as school did not come easy for me and I wasn't sure what I wanted to be when I grew up or how exactly I was going to get there.

My uncle Al said kiddo, you can be anything you want to be if you set your mind to it. I replied something along the lines of what does that mean exactly? My Uncle Al said, if you decide you want to be a doctor, research what it takes to be a doctor and start making those plans and decisions that will get you there. Study hard, get good grades, educate yourself. Enroll in a good University for Medical School. If you want to be a a famous actor, that takes work too. You have to practice telling stories, building up your confidence talking in front of others, try out for school plays. Enroll in drama classes etc.

The moral basically was that you have to do the research, put in the time and lay the ground work to build a strong foundation for what ever goal you want to achieve in life. Then you have to follow through with continuing to build on top of that foundation and never give up. Often times I feel people are jealous at successful people and talk down about some of them thinking that everything was handed to them. But I doubt most of them would have the drive to put in the countless hours of study, dedication, and drive it took those people to get there........

18. Never Subtle
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 7, 2018

19. ravijain87
    Gingerbread May 7, 2018

ravijain87 , May 7, 2018 :
    Hey all,

I know the competition has already finished but this is a topic I didn't get to respond to at the time but is still an area I wanted to share on so I'm going to post my reply anyway.

Life Advice to me is often not about what's said but about how you hear it, what you think about it and ultimately how you choose to react over it. I have been receiving Life Coaching for the last year and so this has been an area of real interest to me.

There has been one piece of advice I have heard over and over again but in many different forms: two ways of describing it is that "You are feeling your thinking in the moment to moment" and that "Thought is not reality, yet it is through thought that reality exists". Now that can be quite something to take in and I will try and explain what it means to me. It's all around "The 3 Principles" by a guy called Sydney Banks and is the basis of some forms of psychology and for many life coaches.

The way we usually perceive reality is that something happens externally, then we respond to that, and that is what causes our feelings. A prime example of this is thinking that you're getting angry because another driver wasn't driving correctly and cut you up. What I've come to realise is that it's nothing to do with that other driver but all to do with how I thinking about that situation.

When you take that situation with the bad driver, you see the world as being outside in, something happened "out there" that causes me to act in a certain way. This seems logical what I've been learning is that this isn't true. It's actually based on our thinking around that situation.

Our brain is a very complex thing able to process thoughts at an incredible rate, there are too many thoughts for us to keep track of. These thoughts are not the definitive reality but they are how we perceive reality. We all have had times when we thought something to be absolutely true but later realised we had it wrong.

We don't need to start managing our thinking, it would be fruitless anyway as there would be just too much to manage. When we realise that we are just feeling our thinking in the moment, it can be a very calming effect. We don't have to do anything about it, but knowing when you're not seeing things clearly is enough. We rarely have to made a decision in that moment, and usually taking time when you're not seeing things clearly is the best thing to do until you're wisdom comes through. How do you know if you're seeing something from wisdom? "True wisdom is never accompanied by a bad feeling".

Coming back to the bad driver scenario (and every scenario you could ever think of).... it's not outside in, it's actually inside out, you just had a thought that that driver was a (insert expletives here). You felt a certain way based on that thought, nothing more, nothing less and that doesn't mean anything as that's just how you perceived reality in that moment. When you start seeing this, you find that things drop away like a weight off your shoulders. I hope some of this does land with you and you're curious to find out more.

Regards,

Ravi

Last edited: May 8, 2018

Ruby G. and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  20. fosterwilla
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

fosterwilla , May 8, 2018 :
    “ Do not believe in something just because you want to believe it” , the words that I always keep in my mind.