[Let's Talk] What's the best life advice you've ever gotten?

1. B1529510788074 Eclair Jun 21, 2018

2. Daisy K. North America Marketing Staff Member Jun 22, 2018

Daisy K., Jun 22, 2018 :
    "You know you're making the right decision if it makes you nervous"

This wasn't the most accurate piece of advice - I can think of a lot of things that make me nervous that probably wouldn't be a good decision (jumping out of a plane with no parachute, putting my face near really aggressive dogs' mouths, eating sushi (shout out to all my sushi-haters) etc). But the spirit of the advice is more to not let your anxieties get in the way of leading an exciting and adventurous life. I like to think I'm an adventurous person, I'm sure we all do to some extent. But sometimes I'm very happy having an adventure in familiar surroundings, with people I know and am comfortable with, and that I've prepared for years in advance. However, I've realized even in my young years that life is never like that. You always have the option to stay put. No one has the power to make you take a risk. But stepping into situations that make you nervous willingly and with the confidence in yourself that regardless of what happens, you will come out the other side relatively unscathed (worst case scenario) or feeling like you can take on anything (best case scenario!)

Ruby G., meatandy and Cheetosdust like this.
  3. Clotilde R. North America Team Staff Member Jun 22, 2018

4. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 22, 2018

Cheetosdust, Jun 22, 2018 :
    That's actually a great advice :)

I think that if you are comfortable with every decision you make, you are making the easiest ones. And usually the easiest ones lead to a shortest roads ahead.

With no parachute? Yeah, I that one will make anyone nervous - even the skydiving instructor. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:

Clotilde R. and meatandy like this.
  5. Vaibhav_Bhatade Honeycomb Jun 25, 2018

Ruby G. and meatandy like this.
  6. Clotilde R. North America Team Staff Member Jun 25, 2018

Clotilde R., Jun 25, 2018 :

I actually feel like some of the best decisions I made made me very nervous and/or umcomfortable! Sometimes it is about putting yourself out of your comfort zone! It may work out... or not :'D

7. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Jun 25, 2018

8. Daisy K. North America Marketing Staff Member Jun 25, 2018

Hydra Bob likes this.
  9. marcusskyfall Jelly Bean Jun 28, 2018

marcusskyfall, Jun 28, 2018 :
    "Never get a smart meter installed in your home..."

"Don't consume gmo food..."

"Cannabis oil is a good thing and a gift to humanity...'

"research flat earth..."

"Don't believe what they tell you, do your own research..."

"keep an open mind..."

"always be grateful..."

"namaste..."

10. Never Subtle Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 19, 2018

Never Subtle, Jul 19, 2018 :
    That depends on how close to the ground you are. On a plane with overhead wings it could be less than a metre.

11. Dynamic_Double Eclair Jul 28, 2018

Dynamic_Double, Jul 28, 2018 :
    I know this thread is quite old but I really would like to share one of mine.

The best life advice I got is from my experience with my disability, specifically in regards dealing with progressive muscle wasting. Much of what kept me going with stayinf as mobile as possible was the phrase "if you don't use it you will lose it".

It might not sound great to some but for anyone with a progressive disability (or genetic disorder to be specific) it can mean everything as the saying is the reality of it all - you can give up and get worse fast or you can choose to do all you can to stop it taking over your life.

In a now general sense it could be like using a service that is offered to you to help you achieve or help you with something but you refuse to use it. Eventually this service could be no longer offered to you putting you at a disadvantage in some way.

Without this sort of saying being introduced into my life I feel that I would be worse off and very/fully reliant on others by now. Even to this day when I'm not as physically strong as I was a couple/ a few years back I am still looking at ways to maintain the muscle I have left even if it means doing things differently or taking the time to try doing some things myself.

Thank-you for taking your time to read this. :)

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. Varun Kandepu Gingerbread Jul 28, 2018

13. chelonids Gingerbread Aug 20, 2018

chelonids, Aug 20, 2018 :
    I think the best life advice I got was: "Be kind to yourself and to others".

As someone super-critical and demanding of myself in the past, I used to transfer this feeling to others, expecting them to live up to my (sometimes hypocritical) standards. It was a very draining way to live. :sweatsmile:

After I learned to be less critical of myself and others, life is much easier and I get along much better with others. :D

It's not a bad way to live. We are all struggling with different problems in our lives, more kindness goes a long way!

meatandy and Ruby G. like this.
  14. SirJester Donut Sep 13, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  15. WolfDemon Cupcake Oct 2, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  16. F_Spencer_Lail_WiZm Cupcake Oct 2, 2018

F_Spencer_Lail_WiZm, Oct 2, 2018 :
    When you look at the grand scheme of things, we are a cosmic anomaly, that somehow created something beyond comprehension. Start living your life every day like the miracle it truly is.

meatandy likes this.
  17. Kytharsis Lollipop Oct 2, 2018

Kytharsis, Oct 2, 2018 :
    A wise, old bully once told me: "Sweetie, speak up. I can't hear you with that pity d*ck in your mouth."

Okay, that was from Deadpool 2 but it's still advice!

meatandy likes this.
  18. Ray_ofLight Honeycomb Oct 3, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  19. G_Boss_Man_pfJv Cupcake Oct 3, 2018

G_Boss_Man_pfJv, Oct 3, 2018 :
    For me, I always say to my kids, do on to others as what you expect in return. Although this is not an original statement, it is a message that my mum has always instilled to me. Always try to do good. Help others, offer help to all that will take it. If you do a good deed then hopefully that person will do a good deed to someone else and hence the chain will continue.
    An example, I was leaving the gym with my lad. In the car park I saw 3 young teenage girls trying to change their tyre. I decided to stop and help. One of the girls did not want my help. Maybe because I am an oldish bloke from a minority group with a certain stereotype. I have offered 3 times before they agreed in small steps. They had never changed a tyre and did not know what to do. I helped and guided them. We managed change the tyre after a good 30mins. I was really happy that I had help someone that needed it. It was late evening and they had a 15 mile journey home. I had a warm fuzzy feeling and hoped that the girls appreciated the help. They defo were grateful.
    Also important was to give my shy teenage son an example of where and how to help those in need. We form judgement very quickly and believe what we see on TV, Internet without any real experiences. Hope this is a small example of what we all should consider. It will make the world a better place. I am no hippy but I do see a lot of hatred in life and on the news. We all should do our bit where the circumstances are right. I still need to do more as that is just one small action.

Ruby G. likes this.
  20. Anubis 33 KitKat Oct 4, 2018

Anubis 33, Oct 4, 2018 :
    Treat others the way you
    would want to be treated.
    And never give up.
    Oh - yeah that famous
    OP logo..never settle!

buntycubal likes this.