[Let's Talk] What's your creative process when shooting photos on mobile?

1. AcmE85 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 22, 2018

AcmE85, Mar 22, 2018 :
    OnePlus 3

I used to shoot raw whenever I felt I was getting an opportunity for a "great" shot I want to keep and show to friends and family. Since the HDR+ mod, I never touched the stock camera again.
    Quicker shutterspeeds and often even lower ISO compared to stock, with the benefit of not having to do heavy editing because the dynamic range is that good with HDR+. This basically results in sharper shots, especially with moving subjects. Of course I have already taken many great shots with my OP3 prior to the HDR+ mod, but I must say that it makes it much easier to get a good shot, so I don't have to worry that much about the technicalities and can concentrate more on the subjects. It also still offers HDR+ raw, which has an even better dynamic range than stock raw files and the benefit of a quicker shutterspeed you get with HDR+.

This aside, about my process:

To me, composition is key and I always try to anticipate "special moments" whenever I'm actively taking photos.
    Especially with human subjects or animals you have to be quick, ready to snap with your finger on the shutter.
    Waiting is sometimes better than taking the shot too quickly though. Adjust the viewfinder so you get the right composition and wait a bit. Once you see that special look a person is expressing -> snap!

Scenery and architecture are good motives too, but you have to take time exploring and finding the right angles and perspective, always keeping the light and shadows in mind to make the photos more appealing.

Sometimes I don't have time for all of them, then it's just being as quick as possible to open the camera and take a shot. I always try to avoid being in this situations, but you never know right!?!

What's most important probably is to know how your camera behaves in certain situations (lowlight, backlight, shadows, shutterspeed, iso, moving subjects...). What I constantly do and probably always will is to just keep shooting in various situations throughout the day. This can be boring things, streets, halls, you name it... Once you will be in a similar situation wanting to take a shot, you will just know how to adjust to the situation, based on your previous experiences.
    -> diminish trial and error!

Here are some of the more recent shots I took with HDR+. Older shots are not included.
    I wouldn't really consider all of them good, bear in mind that some were just taken to get used to certain situations.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/fjB9IGB11zqOIyNA2

I fully agree! If I have to take time for a shot to play around in pro mode, the moment is mostly gone. That's exactly why I stopped using the stock camera app and fully rely on HDR+.

sharadkatti, Ruby G., Punk_69 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jasperdgr Cupcake Mar 22, 2018

Jasperdgr, Mar 22, 2018 :
    on my phone i usually dont take much time looking at the composition and stuff. but on my dslr i do

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  3. smith.pranjul Honeycomb Mar 22, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT and AcmE85 like this.
  4. alexander4444 Eclair Mar 22, 2018

alexander4444, Mar 22, 2018 :
    I’ve enjoyed digital photography ever since I got my first camera enabled device. It wasn’t a smartphone, but I was so happy with the opportunity to be able to take and delete photos on demand without having to hassle with my family’s film camera (which also cost money to buy film for). Years later I had my first real camera, then the second, then the third. While my phones had cameras, I used them to take casual photos and nothing serious due to the fact that they were simply not up to the quality of a dedicated digital camera. However, this has started to shift once I got my OnePlus 3T. I noticed that in a lot of the situations, I could take great looking photos on the phone itself. OnePlus’s HQ mode coupled with 16mp brings out so much detail and low levels of noise in most lighting conditions that I started to bring my camera on lesser occasions.

[​IMG]

And now to the topic’s question: Whenever I spot something interesting, I imagine the way it would look on a camera and then decide whether I would take the shot or not. Once I go for the actual photo, I would look for interesting angle to give the best rendition of the situation according to my view. I would then select HQ mode since I find that in most of the situations it would often bring out the best possible picture (compared to the rest of the modes). I would then lock the focus and would manually dial the exposure (down most of the times). Then I would take several shots with different perspectives. Sometimes when I shoot landscape photos I would also use the photo grid to help me keep the device perfectly horizontal. Once I have the photos themselves, I would look for the one I like the best. I would then edit it on the phone itself since OnePlus has a great display calibration under the sRGB mode (which helps with accurately choosing the right color values so that it looks the best on multitude of screens). I would usually use a light curve to bring back the details in the shadows (for the pictures in which I’ve manually dialed the exposure down). This leads to a better perceived dynamic range and more pleasant picture overall without blowing the highlights. I would then work a bit with the color curves and settings in order to really make the image pop and if I really like the final result I would publish it and share it with my friends.

[​IMG]

I hope that you liked my short story and I also hope that it qualifies for the OnePlus challenge. You could check some of my best OnePlus photos on my Flickr page:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/103051413@N02/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

5. Ravi BINAVAT Jelly Bean Mar 22, 2018

6. meatandy Nougat Mar 22, 2018

meatandy, Mar 22, 2018 :
    I just whip my camera out and start clicking , no need for 300 words about that.:D
    Does the word "300 words" count?

Punk_69, script and AcmE85 like this.
  7. JOHN SOKUNG Donut Mar 22, 2018

walidt98oneplus likes this.
  8. The1Lion Lollipop Mar 22, 2018

The1Lion, Mar 22, 2018 :
    It really depends, I need a point & shoot which honestly isn’t very creative but absolutely needed when you have young ones in one of their moments- a moment you want to cherish forever and one slip up with the camera will lose it forever :oops: For these moments I try to be steady as possible and will take as many pics before the moment is over to hopefully capture that “just right” picture and the numerous blurred ones will be removed :D

When walking/hiking, I typically look for an interesting subject, waterfall, fountain, creature, or something with contrasting colors that may play a trick on the eyes. Even interesting patterns. To get it right, I’ll again take multiple pictures but do so from different angles - this helps and sometimes you get more than one good shot to use.;)

Bouncer71, script and Ruby G. like this.
  9. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 22, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mar 22, 2018 :
    Bro, quick question. The last macro shot of the flower may you tell me what exact settings you used and also what exact lens you had? :) I'm curious ;)

walidt98oneplus likes this.
  10. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 23, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 23, 2018 :
    I used a 10x macro lens, and the Gcam app....
    No editing done :)

AcmE85, pinto123 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  11. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Marvelous

Punk_69 likes this.
  12. Erlanttz Gingerbread Mar 23, 2018

Erlanttz, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Can you give me the link to download GCam HDR+ on a OnePlus 5t..? I can´t find any reliable link...

13. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 23, 2018

14. Felipe Ribas Dos Santo87 Cupcake Mar 23, 2018

Felipe Ribas Dos Santo87, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Olá vocês são muito bom muito satisfeito mesmo olha que aqui no Brasil eu paguei o dobro mais não me arrependo nota dez. muito bom simplesmente de mais.

15. srinivas_somayajula Froyo Mar 23, 2018

srinivas_somayajula, Mar 23, 2018 :
    when it comes to me. i usually prefer perfect lighting conditions. although OnePlus 5 performs well in low light conditions with its f 1.7 aperture. next ro that i will concentrate on focusing the subject where i needed. actually op5 does not have optical image stabilization. it have electronic image stabilization. but it will not work for photographs. it works only for videos. so later i concentrate holding camera stable. i prefer tripod or gimbal for stabilization.. next i will check white balance. after that using pro mode i will set iso manually. actually there is a lot to discuss about photography. so i my opinion light is most important factor. after that we need a good camera phone. obviously i am having OnePlus 5. but in my opinion OnePlus should implement optical image stabilization in near future for its coming devices. next is portrait mode. it is much eminent technology every manufacturer is implementing in their mobile devices and other tech.

Today I want to continue on the same train of thought with 10 more tips for adding a little spice to your portraits.
    Framing is a technique where by you draw attention to one element of an image by framing it with another element of the image

Framing gives an image depth and draws the eye to a point of interest in the image.

You could do it by placing your subject in a window or doorway, have them look through a small gap or even use their hands around their face. See more examples of framing in photography here.

Shooting with a wide angle lens attached to your camera can help create some memorable shots when you’re doing portrait photography.

At very wide focal lengths you can create some wonderful distortion. It might not be the type of shot you take of your wife or girlfriend (unless she’s in a playful mood) but using these focal lengths will enlarge parts of the face or body that are on the edge of the frame more than what is in the centre.

It can also give a wide open and dramatic impact when your subject is in an impressive settings

The person in your portrait is the main point of interest – however sometimes when you place them into different contexts with different backgrounds you can dramatically alter the mood in a shot.

Sometimes you want your background to be as minimalistic as possible.

While other times a dramatic or colorful background can help your subject really stand out.

Many photographers get stuck in a rut of only ever shooting either in ‘landscape’ (when the camera is held horizontally) or ‘portrait’ (when the camera is held vertically) modes. Look back through your images and see which one you use predominantly.

Just because a vertical framing is called ‘portrait’ mode doesn’t mean you always need to use it when shooting portraits. Mix your framing up in each shoot that you do and you’ll add variety to the type of shots you take.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

Bouncer71 likes this.
  16. Akrthakran Eclair Mar 23, 2018

17. GuitarHero0179 Jelly Bean Mar 23, 2018

GuitarHero0179, Mar 23, 2018 :
    No way I can write about 300+ words about it (since I'm not really a photographer), but there are some great photos already in this thread. Great what you can do with such a small camera. I've just recently tried the pro mode with way better results in low light :)

18. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 23, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 23, 2018 :
    You can't just copy paste stuff in a competition!

19. G_Sumiet_Sahi_pOgJ Donut Mar 23, 2018

G_Sumiet_Sahi_pOgJ, Mar 23, 2018 :
    which third party lens do u use

20. skt_9 Honeycomb Mar 23, 2018

skt_9, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Mobile photography is something that very few people have mastered. Suggestions in this post are very important for common users like me. Thank you!

Bouncer71 and BobbyV8_ like this.