[Let's Talk] What's your creative process when shooting photos on mobile?

1. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 23, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 23, 2018 :
    We'd like to see the results of our suggestions. Take time to share how these tips transformed your photography.

Punk_69 likes this.
  2. Naveenkumar BS Honeycomb Mar 23, 2018

Naveenkumar BS, Mar 23, 2018 :
    1. Clean The Lens

Your Phone spends a lot of time in your pocket, a bag or in your hand, and as a result it will get dirty. Dirt, dust, grease and fingerprints on your lens will have a big effect on the quality of your photos.

There’s no point trying to take great photos if the glass of the lens is dirty. It will block light from entering the camera’s sensor and will leave smudges, blurs or dust spots on your images. A clean lens will ensure you get sharp, clear images with your

2. Set The Focus

The most important thing to look out for when taking a photo is to make sure that your subject is in sharp focus. To set the focus on the Phone camera you simply tap the screen where your subject is in the frame. A small yellow square will appear to confirm the focus point.

If your subject is moving around, make sure you tap the screen just before you take the shot to ensure that they are in focus.

3. Don’t Use The Zoom

The Phone has a zoom function which you can access by pinching or stretching two fingers on the screen. This brings up a zoom slider which you can slide with your finger to zoom in and get a closer view of your subject.

Unfortunately this is a digital zoom and not an optical zoom. In essence what happens with a digital zoom is that the image is cropped as you zoom in. This results in a noticeable loss in image quality the more you zoom in.

If you want to take a photo of a far away subject, don’t use the zoom. Walk closer instead and use the camera as normal without any zoom. You’ll end up with a far better quality shot.

Alternatively you can crop the image yourself in the editing process to bring the viewer closer to your subject. Cropping afterwards gives you more control over how much of the image you want to remove.

4. Keep Your Camera Steady

Keeping your camera still is particularly important when taking photos in low light or at night. When you take a photo in these conditions, the iPhone camera will need to use a slow shutter speed to allow more light to hit the sensor. The problem with this is that any movement of the camera will result in a blurred image.

Bouncer71 and Ruby G. like this.
  3. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 23, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Do show off your photography in the dedicated threads!!! :)

woSch and BobbyV8_ like this.
  4. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 23, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 23, 2018 :
    The ones i use are cheap
    Photon lens kit with macro, wide angle and fisheye (₹200)
    I don't remember the brand of the 12x zoom lens, but it was around ₹400

None of the lens are so "special"

I'll be buying expensive ones in future....

5. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Mar 23, 2018

keithnyc, Mar 23, 2018 :
    Public shout out to Punk for helping me get back on track to use my OP5 for photography again....trying out your camera app recommendations and post processing (VSCO). Great write-up

woSch, Ruby G. and Punk_69 like this.
  6. M1520694218483 Cupcake Mar 23, 2018

7. asaikiran03 Eclair Mar 24, 2018

asaikiran03, Mar 24, 2018 :
    very nice shots. can you please give me the google camera apk link for download. Thanks

8. Black Forest Ham The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Mar 24, 2018

Black Forest Ham, Mar 24, 2018 :
    Photography. It’s something almost everyone does at some point. After all, it’s capturing memories, immortalizing a scene, it’s creating art, and everyone loves art. Often times, the smartphone is the perfect device for turning that artistic vision into reality, and it’s for that reason that I love finding new ways to capture the perfect frame with my phone.

Here’s a list of my personal favorite points to ensure I get the best shot I can:

Don’t be afraid to take too many photos! – Put that 64/128GB of storage to good use, always take multiple shots of a scene you want to capture. Often times, a shot that may have looked perfect on the viewfinder can come out with all sorts of little nagging issues.
    Taking more shots of the same thing helps greatly reduce that chance of wobble, blinking, glare, or anything else that could go wrong. Additionally, going over your photos after helps a lot in noticing any mistakes you might make, and improving from those points.

Frame your shot! – No, not like a print on the wall (that’s optional if you’re really that good), but in your viewfinder. Enable grids when you can, and try to balance your shot composition along it. Now, this doesn’t mean to align everything perfectly, but generally balancing your picture out through geometry makes it much more visually appealing.

Don’t hesitate, be quick on the draw! – The double press to launch camera shortcut exists for good reason. When you see something interesting like a funny-shaped cloud or a bird about to steal a French fry, whip that phone out, steady your hand, and take the shot! You’d be surprised how fast the camera launches and focuses. Sure, this takes a lot of luck and even then a good shot is very rare but hey, a shot you never take is a 100% miss.

Know your Enemy! – I mean surroundings. Know your surroundings. Because smartphone cameras are restricted to the size and power of well, a smartphone, taking pictures puts you much more at the mercy of the environment than say, a DSLR that has much more control over lighting with a much larger sensor.
    Shoot within the already wide capabilities of the camera, and quality of shots should remain great.

Now, for more advanced tips I started doing when I became more accustomed to the camera:

Pro Mode!
    – Don’t worry, amateurs like us are allowed to use it too. Though the stock camera mode does a great job of capturing photos in normal conditions, pro mode can stretch the camera’s abilities by a significant margin, and make up for shortcomings on the stock camera. ISO, Shutter speed, focal length, and white balance are all individually configurable or left to auto, and there’s a very nice histogram to help you judge the light and colour in your picture.
    If you want anything more than a standard shot, pro mode will help a whole bunch.

Tripod! – 3x the supports, 100x the stability of a handheld shot. If you really want to capture a scene consistently without worries of shake or the frame moving, a tripod is a must. Tripods are mandatory for long exposures, for when you want to capture those sleek light trails left by cars at night, or the silky-smooth look of flowing water.

Long Exposure! – The secret sauce that turns night to day and rough waters to flat ice, long exposures, combined with a tripod of course, take a continuous exposure of the picture and average it into a single shot. This means all the movement and lighting change will be averaged in the photo, letting you do some desirable streaking or blurring.
    Also, because so much light is let in, you can boost the brightness of a nighttime picture, while turning ISO all the way down, for night shots of very impressive quality.

Editing! – Of course, it’s always best to capture the best image you can right from the get-go, but that isn’t always possible, so editing can fill in that gap. Cropping and changing aspect ratio is always helpful for setting the composition straight, and can turn a normally good shot into a great one.
    For further editing like exposure and colour correction, it’s always better to shoot in raw, and then export to a dedicated editing program like Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom to create a final image. However, I really would like to stress that editing cannot make up for fundamental errors or make a bad shot good, so it’s always important to focus on perfecting the shot at hand.

Accessories! – So the camera can do a lot, but can it do more? Here are some of my favorite accessories to use with my Oneplus 5T’s camera.

Telephoto Lens: A 2x or 3x clip-on telephoto lens is a great help in getting up close and widening depth of field, especially since the 5T no longer sports a dedicated telephoto lens. I really wouldn’t recommend any telephoto lenses with zoom levels over 3x though, chromatic aberrations and other distortions start to become very evident, because phone lenses aren’t really designed to have extra layers of thick glass put over them.

Neutral Density Filter: This one’s a bit of a rarity in phone photography it seems, basically it’s a filter to darken the view consistently. Why? It’s simple, long exposures during any condition that isn’t pitch black risk overexposing parts of, or the whole image. By darkening everything, the camera can take acceptable long exposures during the day, making it easier to get beautiful water or flowing grass shots.

Bluetooth Shutter/Earbuds with remote: Some shots really need a steady hand. Even with a tripod, tapping the screen or pressing the volume button could shake and ruin any very close-up or long exposure shots. Having a trigger off the camera helps a lot.

Here’s some of my shots that came from following these tips!
    IMG_20170802_173619.jpg 1.jpg
    IMG_20160817_201824.jpg
    Thanks to everyone who stuck around to read this, and thanks @Ruby G. for organising this opportunity!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

9. U1521877457863 Cupcake Mar 24, 2018

10. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf Froyo Mar 24, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf, Mar 24, 2018 :
    Amazing pics. Are there any good brands out there for these attachable lenses?

11. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 24, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 24, 2018 :
    I've already posted the link here, do have a look, it's there in one of the pages

12. H1521892324370 Cupcake Mar 24, 2018

13. Black Forest Ham The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Mar 24, 2018

Thanks! Honestly, because of the nature of cell phone accessories, brands come and go, and many brands sell the same model of product. I just recommend getting a 2x or 3x telephoto with good reviews, and definitely stay away from those 4-in-one kits or whatever, the cheap fisheye and wide angle ones normally bundled with those are usually totally distorted and unusable. As for ND filters, there seems to be only one or two models that exist for phones in online shops so there's not much choice there.

14. Black Forest Ham The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Mar 24, 2018

Monochrome pictures aren't supported by default in the camera, though almost all photo editing apps can apply a black and white filter.

15. K1521444813029 Cupcake Mar 24, 2018

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

16. Deactivated User Mar 24, 2018

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  17. Ceasedd Marshmallow Mar 24, 2018

Ceasedd, Mar 24, 2018 :
    I'm in engineering so I need a phone that can zoom in to take detail pics of blueprints. That's why I loved the Nokia 1520

18. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 25, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Mar 25, 2018 :
    Thank You So Much, man[e]1f64f[/e] Well, I am proud of some of my work, but it can(and it will) get better [e]270c[/e]️[e]1f601[/e]

script and Deactivated User like this.
  19. Deactivated User Mar 25, 2018

script and Shivang Joshi like this.
  20. GouravSengupta Cupcake Mar 27, 2018

Abhishek3912 likes this.