[Let's Talk] What's your creative process when shooting photos on mobile?

1. Marcus_Teng Cupcake Mar 27, 2018

script, TibiTibi and Abhishek3912 like this.
  2. L1520088038886 Cupcake Mar 27, 2018

3. R1523271808079 Cupcake Apr 10, 2018

R1523271808079, Apr 10, 2018 :
    When I set the timer for selfie , it does click a pic but it keeps clicking pictures for every 3 or 5secs till we disabled the feature. This is quite annoying. Is there any solution to disable multiple clicks? I just want only one pic to be clicked with timer. I do not wish to completely disable timer though.

4. johnnyfrench Cupcake Apr 10, 2018

johnnyfrench, Apr 10, 2018 :
    I'm quite new to the forums, but I've decided to dive in and see if I can contribute.

OT:

Everything that I've read so far is good advice, I've learned some new things already about setting ISO and with exposure curves in post-processing.

One tip that I've used since I got into photography is one that I havn't seen mentioned but that is, in my opinion, crucial, and it has to do with the framing. Here's my tip: regularly take time to look at some great photographs.

There are some phenomenal photographers across the world. One thing unites them all- apart from their strong technical skills in post-processing and in using their cameras, they have an eye for what would make a good picture. This talent is what makes them the best of the best. As many here have already said, the most important thing is to know exactly what to take a picture of. Do you include the clouds in background? Do you include a part of the chair next to your dog?

Anytime I see a National Geographic, Time Magazine, or other magazine/photo book, I like to skim through it. By regularly looking at what some of the best photographers in the world are photographing, I'm better able to realize when there's a good opportunity to take a picture. Not only that, but once I've found a good topic to photograph, their framing technique helps guide me to taking a better picture.

That's all I wanted to say, get out there and have fun!

This picture was shot on OP5, no filter or editing.

Valloire_winter.jpg

5. script Marshmallow Moderator Apr 11, 2018

script, Apr 11, 2018 :
    Good comment!

Bouncer71 likes this.
  6. Abhishek3912 Cupcake Apr 12, 2018

Gamersiege and Ruby G. like this.
  7. rw0584 Froyo Apr 26, 2018

8. Jake Wright Froyo Aug 25, 2018

Jake Wright, Aug 25, 2018 :
    I use the Flash Air app to link to my 1dx transfer to the 6, edit in Fotor, upload to Dropbox

9. Abhishek3912 Cupcake Aug 25, 2018

Abhishek3912, Aug 25, 2018 :
    1535198899538.jpg
    Hawa Mahal in Jaipur, I captured this while I was in a moving car, but the picture is super perfect and clear.
    1535198899701.jpg
    Above this planet
    while traveling from Guwahati, Assam to Jaipur, Rajasthan I saw this scenario. I couldn't stop capturing this moment.

maarten_lisboa likes this.
  10. Bouncer71 KitKat Aug 25, 2018

Bouncer71, Aug 25, 2018 :
    hey fellas,
    I can't believe I missed most of the posts...
    Totally forgotten to mark the thread... 8(
    Now that I read them all...

@BobbyVK, @Shivang Joshi, @Punk_69, @NeVeR_SeTTLe, @Dresa91, @GopalB., @script, @maarten_lisboa, @SyberianXGamerz, @leveskockaa, @alexander4444, @The1Lion, @srinivas_somayajula, @Naveenkumar BS, @Black Forest Ham

Super great contributions...! 8D

So close but allso so different...
    Totally reflect your individual styles...!

A lot of you guys are the reason that I started seeing my OP3 as a real camera with phenomenal capabilities...
    I never shot that many photos with it, nor any other smartphone, before I joined this forum last November... 8O
    (I need to get a bigger hard drive)

Thank you all for the inspiration and your support...!!!

11. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 25, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Aug 25, 2018 :
    And........thank you too for your contributions that you gave us into bracketting and time lapse. It was off great value to me and I thank you a lot ;)
    Keep providing us your inputs and insights as we learn from each other. A wise person told me, "To grow with my lenses" ... a quote by @Bouncer71 :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018

12. TheRealGamer KitKat Aug 26, 2018

TheRealGamer, Aug 26, 2018 :
    all I can say is, Thanks for Tagging My Looong Name Haha :D

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Bouncer71 like this.
  13. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Aug 26, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Aug 26, 2018 :
    You've helped us a lot. So, thaaank youuuu :D

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Bouncer71 like this.
  14. Darshu7 Cupcake Aug 26, 2018

15. The1Lion Lollipop Aug 26, 2018

The1Lion, Aug 26, 2018 :
    I've always been more an auto setting person as almost always use my camera as point and shoot. My oldest brother is the part-time photographer :D

16. The1Lion Lollipop Aug 26, 2018

The1Lion, Aug 26, 2018 :
    Panorama is tricky and when taking it you have to be steady and slowly move the phone to capture whatever your subject is. Even then it could come out looking a bit odd when pieced together.

PANO_20151211_141736.jpg

I took this using my OPO almost 3 years ago. If you are capturing a "moving" environment, it's not going to look right but a mostly stationary subject should come out decent .

17. Bouncer71 KitKat Aug 26, 2018

Bouncer71, Aug 26, 2018 :
    Well I might as well add something...

As some of you already said it depends on the situation and to me there´s no difference in moblie or big camera..
    They both capture light...
    Speaking of...
    My favorite time to be creative is the afternoon on a sunny day...
    Everything is bright all around, shadows are short, so much light almost blinded...

Then I often walk in shadows and watch what the light penetrating the space has to offer...

Most of the times I'm astonished what lens, aperture, zoom, focus, angle, position, creates....

Almost surreal, only subtle post-edit needed...

Those are the days I'm a kid in a candy shop...
    oh.. look...
    ahh... and there...
    uhh... what's this...?
    I gotta see that... 8D

I feel more like a spectator than a creator...

I rarely keep the progress but found two examples...

Shot with the Lumix DMC-TZ61 on P mode, at around 120mm zoom and F6, same flower, different positions... plant completely in shadow...
    P1120321.jpg
    Background way too bright, no use trying other framing.

P1120327 copy.jpg
    This is the view from the opposite side with some bright lit flowery bushes behind...

And the edit...
    P1120327.jpg
    Just touching a little contrast, highlights,midtones and blacks no clarity to keep the fuzzyness...

Not long ago OP3 testing the macro lens, ust fixed ISO 100 and manual focus..
    Already posted this one in the monthly thread...
    There was a group of big flowers with huge inflorescence and petals
    The first one boring, too bright, just okay... IMG_20180815_154603.jpg not worth an edit...

Went on to the next, the beautiful red petals were not that wide opened. The pistils looked more existing...
    The Phone and I casts a shadow only letting a beam of light pass and the background is illuminated thought the petals...
    IMG_20180815_154639-2.jpg

This time a little more aggressive in post to give it an almost neon look....

IMG_20180815_154639.jpg
    Imagine photography like a sandbox full of light you play with and build castles to the sky... 8D

Totally different story if I´m out for travelshooting, underwater, casual or following a personal project...

Thanks for reading the blabla of a lunatic again who´s probably totally over his head... ;D

KarlisO, TibiTibi, script and 2 others like this.
  18. Bouncer71 KitKat Aug 26, 2018

Bouncer71, Aug 26, 2018 :
    I also use auto modes a lot...

This is it...!

What makes the difference...
    to me that´s not "point and shoot" anymore... ;D

btw..
    Can´t even remember how many terrabyte of pics I deleted... 8D

19. T1534153351742 Donut Aug 26, 2018

T1534153351742, Aug 26, 2018 :
    The creative process in my perspective are:

1 . I mostly focus on the image that is need to be clicked.
    2 . once I focused on the image , I look at the background whether it is perfect for the caption.

Attached Files:

20. I1541277374314 Eclair Nov 18, 2018

I1541277374314, Nov 18, 2018 :
    I really do appreciate the update that we got today the fingerprint reader is a lot better I just wish that the camera was improved. I have to be completely honest with you I love this phone it's fast it's smooth it's great my only beef with it is the camera it just falls short it is the saturation in photos and the over sharpening I have a problem with..I have an iPhone XR and I have pictures that I've taken with both phones in the same exact environment and it just fall short the blacks are too saturated the shadows are too saturated and the skin tone does not look natural I wish in this update that there was a fix for it because in my opinion I do believe it's software-based a lot of times when I take the picture I have to hit edit go to the shadows and bring it all the way down before it looks halfway decent I have pictures to prove it and compare it if anyone is interested. OnePlus please address this issue..this is not to say that the phone does not take good pictures it just depends on the environment but I have to say in that same environment my iPhone XR blows the OnePlus 6 T out of the water when it comes to pictures... I want this phone to be my daily driver so badly but I just can't do it everything works on the phone perfect but then when it comes to taking pictures it's a complete let down

script likes this.