[Let's Talk] What's your creative process when shooting photos on mobile?

1. Felipe Ribas Dos Santo87
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019

2. siyaantu
    Eclair Apr 24, 2019

3. 1plus_batman
    Gingerbread May 24, 2019

1plus_batman , May 24, 2019 :
    Hi first questions I normally receive are “What are you shooting on?” I always have my DSLR but photos that I post to instagram when walking the city lately have been on my OnePlus devices and people are surprised. Then its what the camera quality or setting that they can’t get photos like this. I believe its an art or you have an eye for it, catching different angles or times of day, experimenting with angles, lighting even reflections from water. You can get some great interesting shots shooting right after it rains. Some processing of your photos also helps I try to be careful and not over do the processing.

Selecting an object or scenery: I normally find something that catches my eye that I either knew about before or just find walking down a street. Then I look around at ways to photograph the object, I may come back another day when the lighting is better or more intense. With mobile I play around with different settings and the camera options, this maybe be pro modes many different settings or the regular camera using its different cameras (wide, zoom, normal).

Rules of Thirds: I feel it all depends on the scene or object, you may not always want to center the object or use the grid feature in your mobile device (I never use the grid feature). But if your just starting out in photography the grid feature is a great option to learn the rules of thirds. In the pro mode option I love the horizontal line the OnePlus has it will help you make sure your photos are straight because on a mobile device camera it is easy to mistakenly take photos off on angle.

Pro Mode: The Pro Mode is amazing, you get much more customizable options very similar to shooting with an DSLR in manual mode. Once you feel more comfortable taking photos on mobile I suggest testing your skills and experimenting with this mode. You can also save in RAW with gives you more data in the photo and it helps with better processing and editing in apps such as photoshop. Please take remember or realize that RAW option saving will be a bigger file size, resulting in more space used on your mobile phone. Pro Mode you will really fall to love all the other settings and begin to realize how these can change the lighting or speed of the photo you want. Pro Mode will also let you change ISO, for example higher ISO will give you higher grain or noise in your images, so if your images have a grainy look to them its because the ISO is high.

-----------------------------------
    Situations where you might need to push ISO to higher settings include:

Indoor Sports Events – where your subject is moving fast yet you may have limited light available.

Concerts – also low in light and often ‘no-flash’ zones - Art Galleries, Churches etc- many galleries have rules against using a flash and of course being indoors are not well lit.

Birthday Parties – blowing out the candles in a dark room can give you a nice moody shot which would be ruined by a bright flash. Increasing the ISO can help capture the scene
    -----------------------------------

A Lower ISO setting is always good to start off with, your get a better looking and sharp photo but also keep a look out for your lighting, you will want a good light source with lower ISO settings.

I think thats all the tips I can think of for now, lastly the photo editing applications I use is Photoshop & Lightroom. On mobile I edit photos using google photos or instagram. There are many social platforms you can share your photos on for example Instagram & Facebook and make sure you use hashtags to get your work or photographs out there. Along with my photography website I use mainly instagram and then Facebook which are all linked.

I shot on my old mobile phone some years ago, I thought it was interesting and sat on the ground to get this angle and took the photo then had the original printed to 16x20
    [​IMG]

I just took this one this morning in Central Park, NY with the OnePlus 7 Pro using pro mode
    [​IMG]

Thanks for this thread @Ruby G. ..... lol I think I wrote enough

Last edited: May 24, 2019

yogesh4u, buntycubal and script like this.
  4. script
    Nougat Moderator May 27, 2019

script , May 27, 2019 :
    Great post, after a while some fresh info. Thank you very much. Good tips, and super good pictures, I would say. :)

buntycubal and 1plus_batman like this.
  5. aolirl
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2019

aolirl , Dec 8, 2019 :
    This is an interesting thread, really great tips and tricks listed by all. thanks for sharing.

My photography backstory goes back to the 90's and 00's and stretches between analogue to digital photography using Sale's. At the end of my digital photography stage I was working as a freelance interior photographer but on a part time basis. I had a really expensive shift lens setup but after the economic crash of 2008 and the fallout a few years after my interior photography work dried up so I sold all the gear.

I recently upgraded from a OP2 to 5T and have been exploring the camera functionality and this has me interested in photography again but I have no desire to get back into all the pro or semi-pro equipment.

If you are not selling images or planning on making giant prints of your images smartphone photography is good enough. it's certainly good enough for printing your best images and photographic memories on regular print sizes.

So my creative process and some tips to date are:

*Use PRO Mode, even in Auto settings will give you a RAW file. Again this is if you really want that large file with 100% information captured.

*Get your image as close to perfect at the time of shooting as possible this will reduce the amount of post processing needed. Bear in mind that the more processing an image gets will negatively affect the quality. there is a threshold there, once you go over it the quality really starts to fall down.

*Grids or horizon lines can help with lining up your images again reducing the need to mess with them in processing.

Lastly, keep a little lens cleaning cloth in your pocket. Getting the lens glass scratched cause unwanted flare. Avoid using your sleeve or a part of some fabric you are wearing.

And an image snapped yesterday for the fun.
    Shot in normal mode with some post processing and compressed to 50%

1575804813063.jpg

script likes this.