[Let's Talk] What's your experience with mobile gaming?

1. GeNiUs5
    Gingerbread Jul 26, 2018

GeNiUs5 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    OnePlus has done a good job of improving the gaming experience on its phones, I do not think there is anything missing!

2. danvxz
    Honeycomb Jul 26, 2018

danvxz , Jul 26, 2018 :
    i rarely play games on my phone, I do have some installed though. Nothing CPU heavy games, only Two Dots, Dots & Co, Picross Luna 1&2

3. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 26, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Well.
    My laptop is a 2013-ish Asus Zenbook. It doesn't suck, runs Illustrator and Photoshop and Lightroom and what not. Also, playing Black Ops 2 on it is a joy.
    BUT! 128GB SSD space is not where you want to store those 60GB games. It's also impossible to do so. Plus, it's powerful, but with an old mobile CPU/GPU, it's not really giving me anything more than potatoe quality. It runs GTA V okay, with the game installed on an external HDD. But, you know. Playing games in 720p or less and low quality settings, just to reach the 45FPS or more line... Weak.

So my main gaming device is my phone. I'm usually not a gamer on the phone. I enjoy playing PUBG every now and then, and for some time, I was quite invested in Idle Games. Useless games to be honest. As my gaming library is limited to Android games, and limited by not being completely pay to win, it's hard to find good games.

So, here are the games I really enjoy.
    1. PUBG - it's just a fun little game, where you can quickly start a round of PUBG on your own without losing out on others. Progress is only visually there, in form of some new shirts. I couldn't care less about cosmetical stuff in games to be honest. So I enjoy PUBG's skill based combat every now and then.
    2. Asphalt 9 - the new Asphalt 9 is pure fun and I have a crew with some of the guys from The Lab. We are all just getting started right now, but the game is very promising. Also, it just looks so good (more about that later on). Pure arcade fun for me.
    3. Asphalt Xtreme - what a dumb name. It's also great fun. Especially since it reminds me of playing Motorstorm on the PlayStation back in the days. So, that's also part of my top games at the moment.
    4. Motorsport Manager Mobile 2 - as a huge fan of racing in general and Formula 1 in particular, this game is for me. My own team, my own drivers, my own engineers, packed together in a competitive but fair environment. It's a 30min-play, 2 days rest game for me, such as the others. I've got time to do, so it feels good to just do some races and then be able to leave the game alone for some time.

The slogan for our Club in Asphalt 9 is about being on top of the food chain. That is not related to being good at the game. Heck, my best multiplayer race was P5 in the end. It's rather pushing the graphics up to the absolute limit without fearing any stutter. It's just unbelievable how well these games run on best settings. I'm waiting for PUBG's ultra though, just for the sake of it haha. Also, game mode is just pure joy.

So here's it. My list of games I occasionally play and enjoy. I'll never be up top in any league or compete in eSports or something. But just not having the hassle of playing around with the graphics settings to push the PC to its absolute limit while still being able to play on good graphics... It's wonderful.

oh btw. Should any of you want to join our OnePlus club in Asphalt 9. Here's the tag: #9c01
    Please apply only when you have a user name - not "Driver XXXXX" but a username you've set for yourself - it's just more personal :)

Shaked Zipori and Ruby G. like this.
  4. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 26, 2018

Its.Leandroo , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Technically, I have no reason to game on my phone.

I have a desktop PC that is able to run GTAV at ultra (pretty much the only game I play lately).

So what more can I ask for?

Well, since I have my first smartphone, I used to play Real Racing 3. It's becoming a classic game now I think about it.

My phone couldn't really handle it, but I still continued to play, till the point that the phone wasn't usable for me anymore. A few phones have passed, and I never really played a game on my phone ever since. I mean, GTA Online does take some time :)

But, things have changed recently. Since I have my OnePlus 6, I'm trying to push it to it's limits. Sadly, there was no game that actually felt graphically intensive nor pleasing. Candy Crush for example is something that a calculator could run. No, I'm talking about the more competitive games.

Besides Real Racing 3, I was a big fan of Asphalt 8. it was fun to play, but after a while, it started to get boring. It was pretty much grind/pay to win. Recently, I read about Asphalt 9 being in beta, so I opened the playstore, and registered for the launch.

Like Lennart said: It's an awesome game and it's fun to play. it doesn't feel like pay to win either. And those graphics... That's something to have water dripping out of your mouth.

It's fun being part of the in-game OnePlus Club and have people you know play the same game.

So in the end, I was wrong about sticking to desktop gaming. Mobile gaming can be just as fun, if not more.

I do have to warn you though, your phone will get really warm (64°C here).

Ruby G. likes this.
  5. pvilarinho
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2018

pvilarinho , Jul 27, 2018 :
    I used to play WoT blitz on my opx and it used to get hot like hell, my op3 used to be a brise when playing high demanding games but the battery wasn't nothing special, my op6 is faultless, I don't even need to charge so often with the gaming mode.
    Just sold today my Xbox 360, it become redundant.

6. G_Shridhar_Agiwal_qfdk
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2018

G_Shridhar_Agiwal_qfdk , Jul 27, 2018 :
    Hey! I play lot of games on mobile . mobile legends is one of them and I have no issues with the mobile whatsoever , there is no heating up and no major battery drainage but then I also did play PUBG and the quality and graphics are prfct but then the battery drainage is slightly heavy . but that's wat u would accept from a game of that kind !
    thanks

7. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2018

NahbiCris , Jul 27, 2018 :
    I dont play videogames in my phone, because all or almost all videogames for smartphones are PAY-TO-WIN, and I don't games Like PUBG or Fornite , I want games like the discontinued Dead Space Mobile, that had story and was developed like a AAA console/PC game.

8. kylespancho
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2018

kylespancho , Jul 27, 2018 :
    Please bring back the following:

1. Initial capitalizaiton in generating new contacts.
    1532680916161.jpg
    2. Time left to alarm after saving alarm. It only shows up when you turn on the alarm.
    1532680916206.jpg

1532680916234.jpg

9. deviantartjr
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2018

deviantartjr , Jul 27, 2018 :
    playing PUGB Mobile on OnePlus 5 running on Open Beta 14 is great exprience but, sometime find it really quick to warm ,probably because i'm using smooth and extreme frame rate on PUGB

10. Deactivated User
    Jul 27, 2018

11. RawRs
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2018

RawRs , Jul 27, 2018 :
    I do agree that mobile gaming is on the rise. Most of the triple A mobile games such as Pubg and Vainglory already have big tournaments of thousands of dollars of prize money. There are lots of problems playing games on mobile than on PC. Thermal issues is one of them. My OnePlus 3T has lots of problems gaming recently , mainly due to thermal issues. I don't think this is a software issue of OnePlus but I think OnePlus could do what Apple does that is to optimize the triple A mobile games such as PUBG so that OnePlus users could experience better gaming experience .

12. Dynamic_Double
    Eclair Jul 27, 2018

Dynamic_Double , Jul 27, 2018 :
    I only really have played casual games with the exception of PUBG mobile but in regards to OnePlus' gaming mode I am impressed, especially as it stops accidental presses ruining your gaming experience...

13. Rick_Planting
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2018

Rick_Planting , Jul 27, 2018 :
    A long time ago when i got my first iPod 3 i used to play a lot of games. If i recall correctly the games were a lot better back then. Not all these in-app purchases and a lot of times they were really fun and simple. I really enjoyed Modern Combat 2 by Gameloft. Splinter Cell was great too! Basically mostgameloft games back then were pretty good. Nowadays they just focus on In-app purchase and base build games. It can be that ive gotten used to the PC games of this time but imo the mobile games today are pretty bad on average.

14. N1529128997941
    Eclair Jul 29, 2018

N1529128997941 , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Great. I like to play games and ha e been playing PUBG and darkness rises at high settings. even while charging and playing the phone does not heat up...

15. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I like playing games on my phone but I just like casual games that don't take much effort or involvement. If I want to play a serious game I would want to play it on a larger screen than 6". I have a 60" TV so the prospect of playing a game or watching a movie on something 10 times smaller isn't very appealing.

In addition, while there are many good games on mobile, I find the best games are on PC or console and the controls are much easier to use. Some mobile games support controllers, but there is way more choice of serious games off mobile. For example, Final Fantasy 15 is available on mobile, plus many other FF games. I just don't see why I'd want to play it on a tiny screen with crappier sound when I could play it on my TV with better graphics and sound. To me it is a matter of enjoying the media to it's fullest and I don't think I can on a small screen.

I have even screen mirrored my phone before to play a game on the TV. So while it was a fun mobile game, I wanted to enjoy it on the big screen. I know many people enjoy mobile gaming because it gives you something to do if you commute on transit a lot. It's an alternative to reading/sleeping/watching a movie.

I have a few console emulators on my phone, which is nice occasionally to pass the time. But I have those same consoles and games at home, so if I want to enjoy the game I will dust off my old NES/SNES/N64/PSx and play on the TV.

Nothing wrong with mobile gaming, and I see why it is such a big industry with dedicated game phones like the Razer. It's just not for me.

Ruby G. likes this.
  16. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 3, 2018

johneebee , Aug 3, 2018 :
    hmmm not sure if I should share this, I feel like I'm going to be judged big time for the games I (still) play :p

Pokemen go: Yes I still play pokemon go. I know it’s never going to be like that magical July of 2016 when we all came outside to play and just made friends with random people we normally would never talk to, but it kinda actually still is, but way smaller. It’s still the main game I play on my phone and I still try and do a raid or 2 every week and we even made a discord channel to meet up, so now I know a ton of people from my town that I didn’t knew before and we’re even planning on going on a BBQ next weekend so judge me as much as you want, the game still brings people together and that’s what I love about it. Last weekend when coming home from work I happened to be in a totally different city and opened the app and tried to do a raid alone, all the sudden a group of people is shouting at me to be fast so I could join them. And bam, a moment later I found myself walking with a whole new group of people I haven’t met before. I would say, do be careful not to be walking with the wrong group of people and to be a little vigilant :p But all that being said, the game is not dead and still fun!

The multiplayer games: Some other games me and my friends still love playing when we hang out are: “space team”, “ heads up!”, “psych!”, “that’s you!” and “frantastics”. They’re always great to set the mood of the evening, especially the last 2 where you get to connect to a PlayStation just be silly. If you never have tried any of them I would really recommend to try them if you’re with friends!

The other single player games: Games like “clash of clans”, “hungry shark” and every now and then I try a new game just to burn some time once in a while when I really don’t know what to do. But to be honest those kinds of games are mostly losing my interest since I feel like there is usually something more productive to be done like for example studying Chinese with one of my apps, or to just read a book :p

17. V1572959076435
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2019

V1572959076435 , Nov 7, 2019 :
    I do not think that mobile esport gaming will be as popular as PC esport games. Maybe I am an old-school person but such games as CS or Dota will be always on the top of esport gaming world. Just look at the amount of CS:Go, LoL, Dota 2 tournaments and matches https://yesportsbet.com/ to understand the popularity of such games. And I was impressed when heard how many people watch such games and play such games. And one important thing is casting mobile games on big screens. The quality will be low. It is not exciting.

18. ShubinDongre
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019