[Let's Talk] What's your first memory of cell phones?

1. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 31, 2018

luigimario , Jul 31, 2018 :
    My first memory of a cellphone was my dad's first, an old Qualcomm that looked something like this:

[​IMG]
    It didn't do anything special, it just stored numbers and made calls. I don't even remember if it could send text messages, but my Dad would have been too cheap to spend the 25 cents a message to use it often anyway :p

I remember wanting to use it because it was so cool and slim compared to the older brick-sized cell phones. It had an extendable antenna, which was also cool for some reason.

Compared to phones today, this was a super basic one, but who would have even thought of smartphone capabilities back then, except maybe Steve Jobs.

This was still several years before I got my first phone, a standard Nokia candy bar model. The best thing about that phone was the Nokia bowling game. Also, I got it on a promotion with a free Gameboy SP, so that was pretty awesome too.

Having a cell phone back then was a totally different experience from today. It was just for emergencies back then, not like today where it is used for anything and everything. It was more cost prohibitive back then so I don't remember my dad ever using it to chat or make long calls. It was just so he could reach us at home if he was going to be out late or so we could reach him if we needed to.

When I think back to this old phone compared to my super advanced OnePlus 3, I have mixed feelings. While I love my OP3, I miss simpler times when we weren't tied down by our phones and spent more time actually talking to people or being engaged in what we were doing. I still have my old Nokia phone in a drawer and it still works. I might even consider breaking it out for a week to see if I could survive on its limited capabilities. It would be an interesting experiment at least.

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Aug 1, 2018

brian.sedore , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Looking through these posts is like taking a walk through a time machine. So many phones I never heard of or saw before. Pretty neat.

My first memory of a cell phone was my parents getting a Motorola flip phone. Doing a bit of searching on the ol’ interwebs tells me it is probably called the Motorola MicroTac, but that might not be 100% accurate. If you search for that, that is the general look of it. I remember it being the coolest thing technologically that we had. However, it wasn’t perfect. Even at the time, I remember it being kind of annoying because the buttons didn’t always work. Even if the buttons didn’t work though, you would know it because the screen worked decently enough. The reception was pretty spotty on the thing, too. We weren’t early enough to the cell phone game that we had one of those bricks that were sported on “Saved By The Bell”. It was pretty awesome though.

Personally, I got my first cell phone just after my last year of high school. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked. After searching around for a model number, it may or may not be the Samsung A650. When I searched for old, silver Samsung phones, there are a tonne of variations, but I think it was the A650. One screen, no display on the outside, no camera, and very basic everything. Those were the days. I remember when I found out that I could send messages to somebody’s email from the messaging app. That blew my mind. That was 2007-ish. As a phone though, it was perfect. You could send some text messages, call whoever you needed, and it had good reception. Man, have we come a long way.

Since then, I’ve been through several other Samsung phones, but I am so glad that I ventured away from that brand a few years ago.

Come 2018, we still have one screen mainly, but it’s upped to 3 camera lenses (one front and two on the back), big HD screens, and data for all of your daily needs. It really makes me wonder what kinds of things we have coming next. Pretty much since the iPhone came out, with the exception of better specs, there hasn’t been anything too ground-breaking feature wise.

Ruby G. likes this.
  3. hikari_kobushi
    Froyo Aug 2, 2018

hikari_kobushi , Aug 2, 2018 :
    I love nostalgia bits and I always want put some of my thought in this kind of topic.

I am mobile technology addict since I was 16 years old in 2001.

My first phone ever and the one that stick in my memory for a very long time was Motorola V2288.
    When I got it I did not know what I was going to get, I gave all my savings to my dad ask him to go to the city to see what's there and buy nice mobile phone while I was at school.
    When I came back home there it was, waiting for me in all its glory to be opened and played with. My first excitement... "Oh my God"... it has built in Radio FM I can listen to my favourite station while walking to school (around 30 minutes walk) and Motorola included headphones as well. I was so proud of my dad for choosing this model for me and could not thank him enough.
    I remember (but no 100 sure if that's just not tricks of my memory) that this phone was using 3 standard AA rechargeable batteries connected together so my dad made me some spare ones as well :)

Getting this phone was a big milestone in my mobile technology life, thanks to this Motorola device I knew what I wanted to be... I wanted to sell these goodies to people.

Okay... Today I am more of a Sony person as my future devices lead me to that but nothing will never take away this glorious moment of Motorola V2288 being my first mobile ever and my longest memory about cellphones.

Just to clarify, when we speak about first memory of cellphones this Motorola comes to mind but if we would change it to first memory of smartphones then all the glory would go to Sony Ericsson P1i :)

Ruby G. and buntycubal like this.
  4. MazherAlvi
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2018

MazherAlvi , Aug 3, 2018 :
    I was in grade 7 in 2002. a friend of mine get NOKIA 3510 color screen from UK and at that time it was like a magic. and I can't forget Space Impact game on Nokia 3310.

in smartphones I used Nokia, Blackberry and almost every other brand but OP is love.

My OP 3T lost during a tour about couple of months ago then I bought Huawei and within a week I sold out Huawei and again purchase OP 3T [e]1f602[/e]

Ruby G. likes this.
  5. E1533277923773
    Froyo Aug 3, 2018

E1533277923773 , Aug 3, 2018 :
    My first memory of cell phone was when i got my first cell phone in 2001. It was Samsung R220. It had blue backlight which looked very good back then. It also had a little antenna and a notification light which was fascinating at that time period.

Ruby G. likes this.
  6. amourati
    Froyo Aug 3, 2018

amourati , Aug 3, 2018 :
    OK First handset Samsung ss2110b (1999), then sony ericsson t10 and finaly stuck with the nokia 8810, nokia 8210.Then I entered the symbian era...after that the iOS era (dont tell any1) and finally the Android era.

Ruby G. likes this.
  7. Louioo
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2018

Louioo , Aug 3, 2018 :
    Good ol' Nokia 3210 was my first memory of a cell phone. I remember my mum got this for me as a means of communicating with me when I was outside the house, or she was out. Back then, there was no such thing as touch screen, good internet or even colour mobiles. I used to sit on my dial up internet connected computer researching all the different TV/Movie themes tunes that I could play in polyphonic style - my personal favourite was always Mission Impossible or the Adam's Family.

Moving on from this phone, I worked my way through a series of other Nokia's including the 3310, 3330, 6230, 8310 and always remember 2 things fondly about all of these phones:

1. SNAKE - I mean forget all of these mobile games that are out today, nothing would ever bring you so much fun/rage than playing snake, bragging to your friends who had the best high score etc. It was the ultimate mobile game for it's time.

2. Phone Covers - This really was the best era for change-able phone covers. You could have a different one each day, week or month, in fact I remember changing mine each day to look like a 'cool' kid.

Ruby G. likes this.
  8. G_david_hartono_S_iAtI
    Froyo Aug 3, 2018

9. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 3, 2018

The1Lion , Aug 3, 2018 :
    Well this is going to date me :oops:. But I remember seeing a friend downtown and we were catching up since I hadn't seen him for a while. He was carrying what I thought was a mini briefcase but when I asked him about it he said it was his mobile phone :D

My first phone was a "pay as you go" phone that you paid a small amount just to have service available and each minute you used the phone, you were charged (text was not available, people still had things called beepers/pagers)

I eventually took that phone back to the company I was using at the time to request cancellation, since I wasn't really using the phone. The sales lady did her job and convinced me to get a "cooler" much more mobile phone that was less than half the size of my current phone and you could send text message! :rolleyes: somehow she convinced me I'd use it more if I paid for a plan that included minutes. :D

Years pass and phones got smaller, added MP3 music, then keyboards, folding phones, basic internet, better screens and eventually smart phones and now the minimal design of mobile phones has gone. Everyone sells phablets; although they do their best to keep them slim ;)

Ruby G. likes this.
  10. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Aug 3, 2018 :
    My first memory of cell phones was somewhere in the last years of primary school. I was not the first one to get one and I remember Nokia being the most popular phone. A friend of mine bought one with a nice color screen and you could play games like snake and some side scroller game on it.

My first mobile phone, I think around 2005 or so, was an Alcatel E259 flip phone which was fairly cheap (about 40/50 euros) and already came with a prepaid sim.

It had a very small color (only 12 bits) screen with a whopping 102 x 80 resolution. Such a difference with the beautiful screens now. With it's very small battery of just 650mAh it apparently had a 10 hour maximum talk time but I don't think I ever reached it while playing tetris and some other game I don't remember on it.

It didn't have a browser or any internet connectivity. I know some phones back then started to have internet but browsing was extremely slow and sites were not optimized at all. It also didn't have a camera or even a USB connection or headphone jack (seems to be a trend recently so very trendy) and it needed a special charger.

Oh, but it did have about 16 different polyphonic ringtones and a very nice notification light on the outside so you could see when someone texted or called.

I used it for quite some years, even while touchscreen phones became more popular and I think in total it lasted about 6 years or so. It still worked but I upgraded to an android phone and afterwards improvements kept coming when I bought my Oneplus one.

Interesting to see how far the mobile phones have developed in such a small period of time and how much they have been implemented in daily life.
    Took my a while to find it since I forgot the model but this was it:
    e8a7e8afa12603f69dadf1b876544287.jpg

Ruby G. likes this.
  11. mitchellobriant
    Donut Aug 3, 2018

mitchellobriant , Aug 3, 2018 :
    My parents got each got their first cell phone when I was I first grade. A few years later they upgraded and I was fascinated by them. They were the Nokia 3310s I believe. I wanted to know everything about them. I read their manuals cover to cover several times trying to soak up what each feature did and how they worked. I remember trying to send a text from one parent's phone to the other, but they didn't have texting at that point. This was in the late 90's and texting wasn't near as mainstream as it is today.

I finally got my first phone when I turned sixteen. It was a Sony Ericsson flip phone. I carried that till college when I got a "smartphone". This was in 2007 and the iPhone had just been released. I only knew a few people that had them that year. I remember watching iPhone review videos every night before bed, often repeating some.

I wouldn't get an iPhone until I graduated college and then switched to android with a custom moto x in 2013 and don't plan on switching back. I'm currently typing on my galaxy note 5 as I wait for my red op6 to be delivered.

Those first phones ignited a passion and love for personal tech that has burned ever since.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. Nikhil Seenivas
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2018

Nikhil Seenivas , Aug 3, 2018 :
    When i was in 4rth grade (2007)or so, my dad bought two lg kg somethingy phones for my mom and him and before that were nokias and i cant remember the model numbers.

after that, a sony Ericsson smartphone with a symbian os(rare) before android took off.
    then after the samsung s5 was released, mom got a s4 and dad a note2 and he only replaced it now with a s9+ and my mom got a s7e just before the s8 launch on an offer.

we also has a samsung tab s and i was banned from using it and nobody else used it so i sneakily hid it and used it from time to time while my mom thought it was misplaced lol and i was the only "rogue" if you will person in my home who bought a oneplus 5 after finishing high school and after it got stolen in april, i waited and got the 6 silk white.

my favourite must have been the tab cuz man you hid it and used it while your whole fam thinks its lost? lol

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. jwewing
    Froyo Aug 4, 2018

jwewing , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Zero Halliburton. You know, the bullet-proof luggage people. That was the case for the first cell phone I ever used. It's like 1982 and the phone company sent in a rep to the oil company I was working for in Denver to sell us on this new idea where as you moved from one "cell" to the next your phone would automatically switch without dropping the call! A-freaking-mazing. I don't even remember the brand - it may have been a ruggedized Nokia or it may have been a prototype. Dunno. In either case I found myself alone on a hill in the middle of Wyoming, USA on a beautiful sunset. The Z-H case comes out. The foot-long antenna gets attached to the roof of the car (it needed a substantial reflecting plane), the 25-watt transmitter gets fired up, and connects with the nearest cell tower some 50 miles away (it's amazing what you can do with enough power). I fire up the thermal-paper fax machine, dial the number, and when the fax handshake noise starts I slam the handset down on the fax's rubber-cup audio coupler. And. It. Works. Un-freaking-believable (if you'll pardon the repetition).

Which led me to one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Shortly after my middle-of-nowhere adventure the U.S. Government decided to open up the nation's cellular frequencies for purchase and, to make things fair, would hand out regions by lottery. Nobody knew what this cell phone thing was and so the lottery was poorly attended. Even the big companies couldn't see where mobile communications was heading and some regions had exactly zero interest. I was among the non-participants who sat in stunned silence as the winners of the regions wrapped up mega-dollar deals with the newly-emerging industry giants.

I'm still mad at myself.

Thanks Ruby G. for forcing this memory back to the surface and ruining my weekend... ;)

14. mitchellobriant
    Donut Aug 4, 2018

mitchellobriant , Aug 4, 2018 :
    As this was before my time, I had not heard this piece of cell phone history. Thanks for sharing.

15. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 4, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Feels like Mr. Bond on a mission :p

luigimario and mitchellobriant like this.
  16. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Aug 4, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Aug 4, 2018 :
    On the plus side, your soul isn't condemned to eternal damnation like everyone who ever worked for Verizon.

17. V1531956085539
    Froyo Aug 4, 2018

V1531956085539 , Aug 4, 2018 :
    My dad's old Blackberry. Can't say the exact model, but I remember it having one of those flip out keyboards. Really cool at the time. He kept it for a while after iPhones became popular, but eventually he switched over to Apple

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. AliAlfaisal
    Froyo Aug 4, 2018

AliAlfaisal , Aug 4, 2018 :
    I start from Motorola phones when there was no way to put phone in ur pocket, I remember we had conversation that those phones one day will be available for everyone even poor can buy one we were talking about one phone in home, its fun how everyone has phone no how we thought every home would have one

Ruby G. likes this.
  19. shoynn
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2018

shoynn , Aug 4, 2018 :
    My earliest memory was back in 2000. I had a Nokia 3310, and had bought a new faceplate for it and a super cool clear button pad. The faceplate was a kind of white color with greenish water drops all over. My mom and I had left the mall and were in the elevator in the parking garage when I got a phone call. As soon as I hit the answer button the elevator did an emergency stop and set off the alarm, and the sound coming out of my phone was an angry robotic one.

Ruby G. likes this.
  20. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 4, 2018

luigimario , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Yeah, you have to extend the antenna before you can detonate the explosives!

cdnfarmer and BobbyV8_ like this.