[Let's Talk] What's your first memory of cell phones?

1. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 4, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Um Mr.Bond can do a lot with that antenna

script likes this.
  2. script
    Nougat Moderator Aug 5, 2018

script , Aug 5, 2018 :
    My first memory goes back to 1988. I was visiting a friend in Sydney/ Australia, and saw a businessman talking into his phone on the streets. Wow, that was science fiction.

A few years later I started myself to be as businessman aka freelancer and bought my first own phone.

_20180805_192245.JPG

All my friends thought I'm crazy, but when I got my first job via this phone they understood, that I use it for work. In my memory that phone costed about 300 DM, Deutsche Mark, ca 150 Euro. Calls and SMS, that was it.

A few years and different phones from Nokia, Siemens, Sony Ericsson later, I bought my first smartphone, before smartphones were invented. This:

_20180805_192521.JPG

A „MDA“ from Telekom, a mobile digital assistant. In that antenna there was a pen, to write on the touch screen. Know what: I still have it and it still works.

My interest for telephones with pens has started, as i always have been writing a lot. And I got used to have two phones at the same time.

The next important phone was the Nokia N95 8 GB. It had a brilliant camera. Ah, and the Sony Ericsson W810i. That phone has a special place in my world, as i took one of my all-time favorite Pictures with it. At night, with 1.3 mega pixels.

Katinka_neu.jpg

Then i switched to the N95, and shortly after that I wanted a real smartphone. I found a German forum, android-hilfe.de, and read several weeks or months about smartphones. I finally bought the Note 1 from Samsung. A great phone,I still love it. (It still works!)

Smartphones and taking pictures became a part of my life. I read a lot in that android-hilfe forum and made my first cupcake steps there. Opened threads instead of using the search, posted pics in own new threads, instead using the photo section. You know what I'm talking about.

In 2011 or 2012 something came up that was interesting: the idea to build a phone made of modules. (It was project Ara). I wanted to take part there and signed myself into their new forum. But never heard anything from them. (Later I found their welcome mail in my spam folder)

Half a year later, on the 18th December 2013, I read about another company that wanted to build a phone, together with users.

A day later I joined here and became a member of OnePlus.

I met some very funny guys and the funniest, coolest and cleverest girl ever in the random nonsense club, the rest is all well known.

That whole smartphone thingie has a major impact on my life. It's more than a hobby, and I still like it every day. I „met“ many brilliant people online, plus many brilliant people in real life, thx to OnePlus.

Global Communication. I love it.

youbi, the_o2, Ruby G. and 4 others like this.
  3. 2pints
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2018

2pints , Aug 5, 2018 :
    round these parts, they are known as mobile phones, or just mobiles - or just phones now.
    first mobile devices i can remember seeing on TV, must have been mid to late 1980's before i took any notice.
    My dad had a car phone installed as part of his job - a big chunky thing that was physically attached to the car and couldn't be made mobile unless you had an optional huge battery pack with a separate carry handle/shoulder strap, He didnt get on with it, so that went at the first opportunity.
    Phones then were bulky, and incredibly expensive, over a few short years they dropped in price ( a little) and lost some - but all of the bulk.
    When my mum started to drive she got a mobile phone, big chunky NEC thing with a pull up antenna, looked something like this
    [​IMG]
    and ran on Cellnet UK.
    This was strictly for emergency use only as call charges were still extortionate.

I remember seeing my first - what would be considered smart phone sometime in the mid/early 1990's with a long touch screen up the middle, of a similar type to that on the Gameboy, but that - like most other phones of the time were well and truly out of reach.

Fast forward a few years and I was taking my driving lessons - eventually i passed, and as phone prices had dropped significantly i got a phone just in case of an emergency a Nokia 5110, with its stubby non pull up antenna, i went through a couple ( not many) other phones - a 3310 and a 3510, my first with a colour screen, before moving onto something that would handle apps ( all be it java apps) usable web browsing and take photos, a Sony c510, from there my first smartphone Motorola Defy, Nexus 5, and then oneplus 3t, to my current 5t

Ruby G. and script like this.
  4. kuverti
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

kuverti , Aug 6, 2018 :
    I remember having a book, I think I was 6 or 7, that had these big pictures with descriptions of “new” technologies: Radio waves, the era of telecommunications, how does a coloured CRT work and then when I turned the page… mobile phones, “it's just like a normal phone but you can carry it with you as you go – a perfect device for every businessman.”

My parents weren’t businessmen, so I guess this was the reason I wasn’t introduced to those brick-sized phones (Motorola's DynaTAC for example). Only later when in the era of small cell phones that Nokia 3310 was the leading head, did my parents hop on the cell phone train. Can’t remember much of that time, but I know I always fascinated with how each button on the keypad had a unique sound it made. Played the whole orchestral overture on those buttons, well at least until the memory ran out and had to delete the numbers and start again. And at that time it looked so cheap for me. Every time my parents decided to get a new one, it was only one euro and this always seemed so strang. Only later did I discover that in return they had to commit to one or two years at one service provider.

It would still be some time until I got MY first mobile phone. But every time a new family member got it, in my mind, it was like “wow, I can’t wait until I get one”. Even amongst friends or schoolmates. Every time someone bragged and brought a cell phone to the class, a small crowd started to form around them. It was interesting… this new technology and no one knew just how important and every day it will evolve in just a couple of years.

Having all these (actual) new technologies at the moment – like a smartwatch, tablet, laptop and a smartphone and looking back at that time, I wasn’t any less happy. I had what was available and I enjoyed it.

5. rayoustriva1980
    Froyo Aug 10, 2018

6. Daisy K.
    North America Marketing Staff Member Aug 30, 2018

Daisy K. , Aug 30, 2018 :
    The first phone I had was an LG flip phone that I promptly lost in the cushions of our couch. Thought it was long gone until we moved houses and had to take the whole couch apart. The phone was fianlly found it 3 years later! I couldn't believe it.

7. Tiwi1990
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2018

8. cfoster16
    Cupcake Sep 10, 2018

cfoster16 , Sep 10, 2018 :
    [​IMG] This was my first "mobile" phone. It was from sprint. I used it out in the country as a teenager. I think I was in 8th grade. My dad wanted to take me hunting for deer for the first time, I told him I would only go if I could still talk to my girlfriend on the phone. He laughed and told me they don't have phones out there. Well, my sister was dating a guy (he wound up marrying her) who worked at the sprint store. He offered to loan me this phone. He said don't worry about the minutes, it's all free. So, being a teenager in love, I talked on that thing constantly. I had to plug it into the cigarette lighter port on my dad's truck. I talked on that thing so long it wore the battery out. Luckily, the owner of the land we were hunting on had jumper cables. I wound up shooting my first white tail deer the next day. I told my dad it was because of everything that happened the night before. That night, my dad put me on a time limit. 1 hour. I asked him how was I supposed to talk to her for only an hour? We were used to talking for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Heaven only knows what we talked about. Today, I dont want to be on the phone more than 2 minutes. And even that seems like too long to me. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane, I had forgotten all about that phone. In case you were wondering, (probably not) I wound up marrying that girl, she became the mother of my children, and my brother in law asked me how in the world I talked all that time. He only knew because his manager asked him why so many minutes were used.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018

9. beyonslay
    Eclair Oct 24, 2018

beyonslay , Oct 24, 2018 :
    For me, it’s the Alcatel 9109 HA. It’s the first French GSM mobile phone in 1991.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Appvalley AC Market Tweakbox

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

10. taunus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2018

11. J1542192823026
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2018

J1542192823026 , Nov 14, 2018 :
    my first memory was in class 6th in 2012 I got a gift from my school I opened it and I got a mobile phone. I think that was Micromax Canvas 1 I think it.
    I used it but one day when I went to a party someone stolen my phone I felt very bad..
    but I realised...

12. KidAKidB
    Froyo Nov 14, 2018

KidAKidB , Nov 14, 2018 :
    I'll focus on my first phone which was the Motorola C333. It was cheap and I was late to the cell phone game. I hated it very much, which made me quickly upgrade to the Sony Ericsson T610.

13. nickhudson
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2018

14. macerg
    Eclair Jan 4, 2019

15. rayoustriva1980
    Froyo Jan 5, 2019

rayoustriva1980 , Jan 5, 2019 :
    Woah, 1g! I sure can remember how that felt like.

16. din100
    Gingerbread Jan 6, 2019

din100 , Jan 6, 2019 :
    Mine was Motorola MicroTac flip phone need to carry 3 battery to get through the day. Fun times

17. femiuex
    Honeycomb Jun 25, 2019

femiuex , Jun 25, 2019 :
    This thread topic brings some of the most awesome memories.

Motorola Advisor 2 (Pager)
    Motorola Microtac 2
    Motorola Startac 130
    Nokia 5160
    Nokia 3100
    Ericsson T39m
    Motorola Razr v3
    Blackberry 8110
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    Blackberry Torch 9800
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Samsung Galaxy Grand 2
    and currently the OnePlus

In that order.
    What can I say, I'm a fossil.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

18. Loveit
    KitKat Jun 25, 2019

Loveit , Jun 25, 2019 :
    fr_4a083d_large.jpg
    A fookin Amstrad as my first mobile phone :D Can you ever live that down?

femiuex likes this.