[Let’s Talk] Who do you see when you see yourself in the mirror?

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jul 16, 2018

Cheetosdust , Jul 16, 2018 :

The reflection can be a dangerous and fascinating thing. Daily, maybe nothing more than a few minutes until you are more presentable. However, stare long enough and the mundane starts to feel cognitive and the cognitive is slowly transformed into something descending from your own identity.

The mirror can be the last hurdle before you confront who you really were, are and want to be. Continue to stare and the artificial and the filtered and the bright lights around you are more and more faded, more and more dimmed, until it’s you versus you; until it’s you, only you, engulfed by yourself.

There will always be honesty when the eyes meet. Your parents, your friends, your boyfriends or your girlfriends, even if you lie to them, there’s a strong chance you are being more honest than ever with yourself about that lie. You feel the truth or the truth about lying really close to who you are when looking someone in the eye.

You won’t be capable of changing your past looking yourself in the eye, but I believe you’ll know exactly who you are and you’ll know exactly what do you need to change. It’s all about that honesty and the individual you are. No matter the money, the gender, the race: we all have a reflection looking us back, demanding that honesty.

So, who do you see when you see yourself in the mirror?

A proud person? A volatile person? A person that’s starting a new life - or that’s willing to start a new life? A person that loved and/or that was loved? Who is that person that’s looking yourself in the eye when you stare at him or her?

Only you can answer that, I just hope you find the time to do it. Your identity is not comparable, it’s not an easy mathematical equation. And that’s exactly why I chose this topic - because you are who you are and you can’t be replaced, that’s enough to be celebrated and talked about. This thread is about you, let’s talk.

2. GopalB.
    Nougat Jul 16, 2018

3. rohitanand
    KitKat Jul 16, 2018

4. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 16, 2018

5. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :
    All of the above it depends on the morning. :p
    I've been around, done that and done this. After 50 years on this planet I am still looking, searching for me. Obviously I've narrowed the possibilities down a great deal but I very much doubt and very much hope that I won't have found the definitive answer before my demise as that would mean I'm a bored, self satisfied and pompous fool who thinks he knows it all. :rolleyes:

6. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Actually the mirror is all fogged up from the shower, need to wait a while... ;)

Anshu3110, buntycubal, Mjo and 5 others like this.
  7. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 17, 2018

Venky61 , Jul 17, 2018 :
    I see in the mirror an imperfect boy, trying and learning to reach a practical pseudo state of perfection before existence ceases ;).

9. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jul 18, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Mirror on the wall, here we are again
    Through my rise and fall, you've been my only friend
    You told me that they can understand the man I am
    So why are we here talking to each other again.

So I see myself, maybe in future someone start seeing me ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018

Anshu3110, buntycubal, Mjo and 2 others like this.
  10. Punk_69
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

Punk_69 , Jul 23, 2018 :
    A Damn Punk who'll be Doctor in future helping people... Just like my dad

buntycubal, Mjo, Cheetosdust and 2 others like this.
  11. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 31, 2018

luigimario , Jul 31, 2018 :
    Wow Cheetosdust, deep as always. I noticed that no one has written a proper, honest answer yet. I think I'll give it a try and see what I can discover about my self-view.

I think that when I look in the mirror I know the person I see. I've had 30 years to get to know him and I believe he is a good person at heart. I'm not perfect my any means, but I think I'm pretty close to the person I would want to be. I do my best to be kind and not harm others, and if I do accidentally, I do whatever I can to make it right. While I'm generally kind, I can be petty and passive aggressive if I feel like I've been wronged. It's something I try to avoid but sometimes I just can't help it.

I'm certainly different from when I was young. I'm not as competitive as I used to be since I realized that there will always be someone better than I am and unless it's something really important to me, it's not worth getting upset about not winning or getting my way. Life is too short and there are only a few important things you can devote your time to.

I'm not an alpha type personality, I recognize I'm a beta. I prefer to have a strong leader that I can assist to achieve a goal. Although I can be an effective leader when a better one is not present. I can also be lazy at times, but when I'm motivated I go to great lengths to achieve my goals. I suppose with this personality type also comes a disadvantage, I'm not great at relationships like other people are. I hope to find a partner in life someday, but I don' think I understand that kind of relationship like other people do, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm pretty good at being a friend, and I try to enjoy that as much as I can.

When I think about where I was, when I am now, and where I want to be down the road, I think I have a pretty clear picture. I didn't have the best start to my adult life out of high school. I lacked the needed motivation to succeed and I sort of cruised for a while. When I realized that my life wasn't going in the direction I wanted, I went back to university, got a degree, and now have a stable, secure career with a solid pension. I'm not making a ton of money but I can live comfortably and modestly. I don't need a huge house, fancy car, or lots of toys. I just need to people who are most important to me and to have a few of the creature comforts in life.

So what do I want for the next 60 odd years before I die? Hard to say exactly but I think I can start to look into hobbies that I can be passionate about, occupy my time, and look forward to. Life is too long and boring if you don't have something to look forward to and enjoy. And when you do, you'll find that life can be too short to enjoy everything to the fullest :)

So who do I see when I look in the mirror? I see the person that I want to be. Imperfect, but working towards improving whenever he can.

(Sorry my post is over 500 words, but I don't feel like making a new thread. Let me know if I really have to and I will).

Anshu3110, buntycubal, Mjo and 7 others like this.
  12. Daisy K.
    North America Marketing Staff Member Jul 31, 2018

Daisy K. , Jul 31, 2018 :
    I see a person in progress. There a lot of things about myself that I see needing improvement and I don't consider that a bad thing. If I felt completely content with everything, that would be boring. Seeing room and potential for improvement is why we get up in the morning. Each day, I just hope to see someone who is doing everything they can.

Mjo, johneebee, Louioo and 4 others like this.
  13. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2018

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2018 :
    @Cheetosdust, my friend:)
    Great topic:)

I see a person waking up every day with clear goals. I have a plan that I am pursuing - in small steps over the next few years.
    At the moment my anticipation for my wedding predominates, after that the everyday life begins again, that I successfully finish my job and studies, so that I will buy my own house afterwards.
    But sometimes I use the mirror to check myself as a person. If I still look fit and healthy, I have alarm signals that I may have to go to bed early, sleep longer.
    I see myself every morning and always have an idea of what the day can, should and possibly will bring. This "expectation" I compare myself to the actual state of my "I". And depending on whether I think I look "normal", I can do everything that day :)

Mjo, johneebee, idkwhoiam322 and 5 others like this.
  14. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2018

Mjo, johneebee, rohitanand and 6 others like this.
  15. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2018

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Do you even have one? If you don't, that would make things easier:D

16. adrnjgr
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

Mjo, Ruby G., idkwhoiam322 and 4 others like this.
  17. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2018

Mjo, johneebee, idkwhoiam322 and 4 others like this.
  18. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2018

Bobbie63 , Aug 1, 2018 :
    It's not about what you like or don't like, it's about what you see.  Now go check the mirror again and tell us. :p

19. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2018

NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Well, I do have
    I see a person, who has ambitions
    To re- become cupcake and conquer the forum with my spam threads

Mjo and Bobbie63 like this.
  20. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2018

Bobbie63 , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Now, was that so difficult? :p

Now for you to find the road to make them come true. :)