Let's talk Zen Mode - A challenge in mindfulness

1. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Addictive to some - just like many other "pleasures" in life. Drinking, eating, smoking, drugs, etc... Some people can handle themselves, others need help. When you think about how much time you spend "consuming" entertainment (movies, games, music, television, reading books, news, etc) and then realize that you can now get ALL of that in a single device, it's not surprising people spend so much time on their phones. It's a change even evident at work places. Before if I needed something from someone, I'd call or walk over to their office or speak across the cubicle to them depending on how close they were. Now I have co-workers sitting across from me that send an IM asking me a question. Most people send either emails or IM where I work now. I can understand being in separate offices but a lot of times the person is literally right across from where I am sitting. It's just that it has become the "normal" way to communicate now (although I guess I'm still old school and typically just stand up and ask a question if need be).

keithgpowell and tukur36 like this.
  2. gigin26
    Donut Aug 2, 2019

gigin26 , Aug 2, 2019 :
    But Zen Mode is more of a commitment, You can always disable DND if you feel like you have nothing to do. that's not an option when you're using Zen Mode.

AlinkeelPraveen likes this.
  3. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Does Zen Mode prevent you from restarting your phone? If not, then you could restart to "exit" Zen Mode. I'm not bashing Zen Mode - if it works for those that need it, then great. It'll probably be a useful tool for them and the fact they want it shows they want to break out of some potentially bad habits. I still think it's going to require some level of self-discipline however. ;)

AlinkeelPraveen and gigin26 like this.
  4. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Aug 2, 2019

jlasensiofi , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Thank you, @MaggieOuyang.

I've tried it several times and it's not just that it works perfectly, but it's very gratifying to know that you have that time without having to keep an eye on the mobile.

It is a wonder :hearteyes:

tukur36 likes this.
  5. gigin26
    Donut Aug 2, 2019

gigin26 , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Since you asked, I went ahead and tried it too. No it does not reset if you restart the phone. Even though it is also a matter of self discipline, if the phone could help you in improving your self discipline, it's a good thing right

The1Lion, AlinkeelPraveen and tukur36 like this.
  6. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2019

keithgpowell , Aug 2, 2019 :

toastytoast1234

You may as well be a fart in the wilderness, there are maybe 5 people here who would recognise or care about that.​

That's what I frequently tell my Avatar and his friend Fred when they bang on about " workers of the world, unite!"

Still, glad to know there maybe 5 old farts like us lurking about. I suppose it takes one to know one. ;0(

Ake Winther and toastytoast1234 like this.
  7. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2019 :
    I actually can see this being useful for some kids (not knocking anyone who may need it) as my older son seems to have issues separating from the tablet, phone, xbox at times ;) It could be useful for parents as well - seems it puts you in a "phone-less" state but for me I typically put my phone on vibrate/DND and put it away when I need to.

I know people who wanted to spend less time on their phones so delete the app they spend most of their time on :p

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  8. Georgeoneplus7pro
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2019

Georgeoneplus7pro , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Zen mod notifications cannot be stopped and disturbed. :(

9. Georgeoneplus7pro
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2019

Wonder for you.

A1565115840631 likes this.
  10. tukur36
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2019

tukur36 , Aug 2, 2019 :
    Delete the app? It's like cutting off a limb because of a boil. Totally drastic.

11. Georgeoneplus7pro
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2019

Technically it is impossible without root.

A1565115840631 likes this.
  12. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2019 :
    but effective ;) At least for a while. :rolleyes:

13. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2019 :
    It's in the DND settings, you don't need root. Your behavior for notifications can be set and you can setup exceptions for calls, Messages, events & reminders and other sounds. You even can set a schedule and have it turn on automatically for events or sleeping or setup a rule for when it should turn on.

Some settings are simply on or off but others allow a little more flexibility.

14. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2019

keithgpowell , Aug 3, 2019 :
    Unless sepsis has already taken root.

15. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Aug 3, 2019

jlasensiofi , Aug 3, 2019 :
    Of course, I don't think he said it is for everyone.

16. ThanosK1994
    Cupcake Aug 3, 2019

ThanosK1994 , Aug 3, 2019 :
    I tried it and its very usefull if you are stuck on phone!! :)
    One plus 7 pro got it 3 days and im so excited!

tukur36 likes this.
  17. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 3, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 3, 2019 :
    In which case, good luck entering Zen mode of any kind

keithgpowell likes this.
  18. tukur36
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2019

tukur36 , Aug 3, 2019 :
    Perhaps you are not comfortable with the name.?
    Make a call for it to be changed.

19. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 3, 2019

The1Lion , Aug 3, 2019 :
    Not really, I was responding to the post that was quoted. Change to DND ;):p

20. shashank_s
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2019

shashank_s , Aug 3, 2019 :
    try version 1.3...added 20 30 40 and 60 minutes

gigin26 likes this.