Let's Thread : Tips to creating threads!

1. YRJ Lollipop Aug 1, 2019

YRJ, Aug 1, 2019 :
    LRM_EXPORT_84934140659525_20190802_012349307.jpeg

Hello Writer,
    An amazing idea has just struck you, you think it's just the right content for a perfect thread. What do you do?
    Brimmed with excitement you settle at your desk, type as fast as your fingers can. (Oh boy, if there was a competition for typing you'd definitely take the gold :p )
    You pour you ideas, read it one last time and hit that big red button and there it gets embedded into The CUBE.

If this is similar to what you are doing, then WAIT! The thread isn't complete yet.
    Sure, you have the best of ideas and the perfect content all reproduced on the screen in front of you, but is it enough to get readers past the title?
    If you have invested your time and efforts into your thread you want your readers to make it to the end.
    It is possible! Just look out in your threads for these minute details and you are good to go!

An intriguing title:

The title is the first thing that a reader will see on the main board, it is also a deciding factor for readers on whether or not should they click on the thread. Keep it short, simple and effective. Make it catchy but NOT clickbaity.

A Header Image:

I hope the title worked well and the reader has clicked on the thread, what's next? Present him with a visually appealing header.
    It is said that the first impression is the last impression. An eye-catching header is just the thing you need to hold back the reader.
    Although, it is expected that you don't judge a book by its cover, people still do that, don't we?
    You do not need excellent Photoshop skills to get past this stage, choose a nice picture that complements the idea of your thread and add a title in it if space permits. Make sure the title is clearly visible (if you plan on adding one)

For more information on making headers, read this thread from @FlixbusLennart ;)
    There are some great tips to making a header UNDER 5 MINS!
    Create a header image in 5 minutes or less

@Ruby G. 's headers are at point always. :cool:

@David Y. Recently created a thread announcing dark mode for the community app, that header pic had my complete attention. Perfect!

Introduction:

This is the first literary part of your thread that the reader will come across.
    This can be the toughest yet the most crucial part of your thread. As a reader, I expect the introduction to give me a brief idea of the writer and the intention of his thread. Keep it succinct, DO NOT launch with your own stories and successes, get to the point.

Connect with your audience:

Bond with the reader, address them right away. Let there be more of You's and less of I's. By doing this you are including your readers into your post something that will want them to stay!

Throw a question immediately as you get into the thread, if possible. Why you ask?
    If you noticed, @Trista W. in her post
    Welcome to the CUBE - A Space Where Knowledge Flows!

Started with a question:
    60 posts into the thread and people are still debating on this! :p

Btw, I guess it's 6! (Right @Trista W. ? ) xD

Emotions:

Be it a marketing campaign or just another piece of information try to incorporate emotions into your post, it works always. You don't have to force them, keep it original, don't over use them too!

Here's an example from Sarah Peterson from Blogging wizard-

She never came out and said clearly that she is implying 'Loneliness' but she conveys the message with excellent choice of words.

Conclusion:

All's well that ends well!

As you near the end of the post, make sure that the intention of the thread has been conveyed and you have reached a conclusion. You have to justify your conclusion, to agree or not is for the readers to decide.

So you have finally made it to the end, now all that's left for you is to read it one last time and make sure that it is free from errors. You may even send a draft to a friend to read it, it's okay! Check that the attachments have been uploaded successfully and that your post is grammatically correct.
    If you fail at this step, don't you worry - if @theshinybeast or @Cheetosdust happen to stumble on your thread they will fix it for you. ;)
    We all make mistakes, to be able to find fun it and laugh is icing on the cake. Many thanks Cheetos and Shinybeast :D

That sums it up, ofcource your thread does not rely solely on the above mentioned points. These are just some things that I noticed while making threads and thought would be helpful to others.
    It's the small things that matter.
    All the best for you next thread, I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
    YRJ

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM

2. Impersonal Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2019

Impersonal, Aug 1, 2019 :
    Usefull info, this thread should get sticked on the front page or merged with @Trista W.'s thread so it won't get lost in the sea of threads I sincerely hope will have here!
    CHEERS @YRJ

B.yashaswi, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  3. YRJ Lollipop Aug 1, 2019

YRJ, Aug 1, 2019 :
    Many thanks @Impersonal I hope that this thread helps others! The browser messed my post up, I have edited it should look good now :D

Impersonal likes this.
  4. Impersonal Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2019

Impersonal, Aug 1, 2019 :
    It really is some awesome knowledge, simple and funny, I'm sure many users will find it less intimidating and start threading (love the title;) ) after reading your post...

YRJ likes this.
  5. YRJ Lollipop Aug 1, 2019

YRJ, Aug 1, 2019 :
    Thank you, I'm glad you liked it :)

G_plusone likes this.
  6. G_plusone Marshmallow Aug 1, 2019

B.yashaswi and YRJ like this.
  7. YRJ Lollipop Aug 1, 2019

YRJ, Aug 1, 2019 :
    Thank you very much :D
    Same: Nothing to see here too, move one xD

G_plusone likes this.
  8. theshinybeast Marshmallow Aug 1, 2019

theshinybeast, Aug 1, 2019 :
    WTF?? Cheeky? Cheeky? My kids are cheeky but I am far from it. I haven't been cheeky since I was a child!
    Contemptuous, misanthropic, despairing, morose or sarcastic, yeah but fu**ing cheeky!!
    I take this, solemnly, as a grave personal insult. °~°

9. theshinybeast Marshmallow Aug 1, 2019

10. YRJ Lollipop Aug 2, 2019

YRJ, Aug 2, 2019 :
    Oh! That was certainly not my intention. Apologies.

11. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Aug 4, 2019

Cheetosdust, Aug 4, 2019 :
    Never!

Heheh, what a chee...

...tosdust post you have there ;)

G_plusone, B_Wrath and theshinybeast like this.
  12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Aug 5, 2019 :
    Nice thread. Here is something that I would like the admins to do:

Allow the thread owner to HIDE comments.

One of the most important reasons we see duplicate threads is because the user does not find the solution he is looking for in existing threads, unless he goes through a sea of unrelated comments, and few people have time for it.

It is so much easy to get comments/ discussions in a thread that are off-topic to say the least. Even comments from people asking the OP to stop creating duplicate threads, follow the rules, etc.

Reason is we have seen these posts to be quite ineffective, and any related discussions would be off-topic too. A more effective way would be for them to report the thread, and if it is duplicate, it would help if they could also provide the link to the earlier thread on the same topic, so it would make it easier for the mods to merge the thread.

These posts talking of rules add to the clutter too, and anyone who is actually searching to find answers has to pay the penalty of going through these useless comments. And it is not a good thing to penalize such people.

One way to reduce clutter would be to allow the OP to hide all comments/ discussions that are off-topic. Anyone who is interested in such discussions will still be able to unhide them, but those who are looking for answers will be able to find them easily. This will in-turn lead to lesser and lesser duplicate threads.

YRJ likes this.
  13. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Aug 5, 2019

toastytoast1234, Aug 5, 2019 :
    These people don't know or care how to find the search button, what makes you think they'll be more interested in a hide one?

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  14. YRJ Lollipop Aug 5, 2019

YRJ, Aug 5, 2019 :
    That's an amazing idea.
    I think the thread started could group all off topic posts and add them under a spoiler tag, which would read (off-topic) I know some people love to read off topic posts, ( I do too) that would clear the clutter group it, highlight the solutions and allow everyone to read it as well.
    Love it!

15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 5, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Aug 5, 2019 :
    Not all of them. Some of them genuinely go through the comments and give up if the initial few are completely off-topic.