LG G3 fans - Good news

1. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean May 23, 2014

wilbarger , May 23, 2014 :
    And, we know they will be available without begging for an invite. What a fail that is for me.

shadymilkman and Radeon962 like this.
  2. feurie09
    Honeycomb May 23, 2014

feurie09 , May 23, 2014 :
    If it's able to be cheaper than other flagships like it was last year, it'll make a difference. On vzw at least, it was $500 compared to $650 of the others (Samsung and HTC). But with S5 and M8 at $600 this year, I don't think they'll be able to undercut as much which in my mind could be their downfall.

3. ziprom
    KitKat May 23, 2014

ziprom , May 23, 2014 :
    Very true. Also based on my current LG G2, I know that I can count on getting a finished phone with a high build quality, reliable functionality and a great warranty. :)

wilbarger likes this.
  4. wjoshw23
    Eclair May 23, 2014

wjoshw23 , May 23, 2014 :
    Yep! Considering how horrible this wait is with the OPO I may very well purchase myself a G3. That or the HTC One M8 Google Play Edition.

5. nbeck22
    Donut May 23, 2014

nbeck22 , May 23, 2014 :
    The one plus one should look like the lg g3 .....bezel wise!!!!!! I'm torn between the two. I know lg g3 will be way overpriced but damn its going to look good and fit in the hands and pockets much easier. Can anyone keep me confident in sticking with one plus?

6. ziprom
    KitKat May 23, 2014

ziprom , May 23, 2014 :
    That's a good plan.

My concern at this point is how much pressure is on OP to deliver these phones and what quality comprises will be made.

Also they mislead the first 100 smashers into believing they were getting new phones. Then out turned out differently, with some, possibly all having to endure the delays of returning their phones for replacements.

It's the style of communication which leaves one wondering what to expect and what to believe. A rather unconventional way to run a business.

7. ziprom
    KitKat May 23, 2014

ziprom , May 23, 2014 :
    Actually the G3 is not overpriced it we forget the OPO price for a moment.The G3 is comparably priced to other flagship models.

By offering the OPO at a deep discount OP has bought blind loyalty before the very first phone was ever sold. By nature people justify their purchase and won't admit if they chose wrong. OP is using this to their advantage. A crafty strategy.

nbeck22 and Radeon962 like this.
  8. Jugher
    Gingerbread May 24, 2014

Jugher , May 24, 2014 :
    Not really, all flagships have been overpriced since Apple launched the Iphone and introduced the >600$ flagship phones. Before most flagships were around $400 not $600/$700.
    But people bought them in droves so the new price become >600$ and not the lower value. I was hoping people would understand they were being gouged after the launch of Nexus 5 and the OPO, but I still see people that like to throw money away!

zorglub likes this.
  9. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean May 24, 2014

wilbarger , May 24, 2014 :
    Overpriced is your opinion based on financial conditions that you live by. Not saying that you don't have the money, please don't assume that. Many people that can afford the most expensive product do not always decide to purchase it. It is an individual decision as to the value of any product. At the pace of advances over the last 30 years, no electronics are worth their selling price. Before Apple came along, there were no real flagships in the smartphone arena. So, if you do not feel that the LG G3 is worth the price, the OPO should fit your needs nicely.

The example of the Nexus line is fine and you are correct that it did not change the flagship prices. Neither will the OPO. None of this will happen until the major smartphone manufacturers are threatened. It will take a company of the size of Apple or Samsung to do this. I am afraid you are stuck with OPO or Nexus line for now.

10. Jugher
    Gingerbread May 24, 2014

Jugher , May 24, 2014 :
    Not really, if I wanted I could buy one of those flagships, but it doesn't make sense... for the price of a Samsung / Apple flagship I could buy a OPO this year, and next year buy the new OPO/Nexus (that will be better than the phones launched this year).

I agree with you in that most manufacturers won't change their prices unless they are threatened and that will only happen when consumers fight back, and have the patience to wait until the prices become lower to buy, so I don't know if that will happen, or we will continue with these levels of prices.

11. ziprom
    KitKat May 24, 2014

ziprom , May 24, 2014 :
    Respectfully your knowledge of large scale business is lacking. Profit is not bad, it's essential. How much profit? That's been debated for decades with nothing agreed upon so don't even go there.

12. wilbarger
    Jelly Bean May 24, 2014

wilbarger , May 24, 2014 :
    Again, the value is to be decided by the purchaser. You have to decide if going with an unknown startup (as they like to be referred to) is a better decision for you, everyone is happy. Again, I never indicated that you could not afford to buy one of the flagships that are priced higher. The phone from OPO next year will NOT be priced at this level. They have to make a profit if they are to stay in business unless they are a Google that can afford to have a loss leader year in and year out as they make their real money in other places. You will be very happy with their phone and I hope you decide to buy one next year also.

13. Jugher
    Gingerbread May 24, 2014

Jugher , May 24, 2014 :
    I agree that profit is essential. But how much profit is exactly one of the problems I have with the flagship phones (not the only product category I have problems with the price, but our conversion would probably never end if I sidestepped in that direction). Some people complain if a company prices their products a little higher than the cost of production... I don't fall in one of those cases. I don't have any problem with the profit until is reaches 100% after that I get a little more suspicious. As in these cases, the flagship companies want to make you pay the triple of the production cost, it signals an uncompetitive market (which wouldn't appear at first sight to be the problem here, in the smartphone business, but as we can see with the new Chinese smartphone companies the competition is starting to heat up) or uninformed consumers or some other problem in my perspective.
    But, ok, most companies prefer to focus on short term gains, instead of getting a larger share and growing the market.. and it appears consumers do it too, they have to have it now instead of having a little patience and getting the same at a lower price.

14. Radeon962
    KitKat May 24, 2014

Radeon962 , May 24, 2014 :
    Google has plenty of other ventures and cash to burn so they can subsidize the Nexus line.

OP unless OPPO or BHK steps in will need to make a profit down the road to stay in business. They have already started they don't expect to make a profit for 2 years but that is not a realistic long term business model.

15. Tom Gray
    Jelly Bean May 24, 2014

16. Jugher
    Gingerbread May 24, 2014

Jugher , May 24, 2014 :
    I agree the value has to be decided by the purchaser, I just think buyers could have a little more control over their impulses so everybody would get a better price on certain products that in my perspective are overpriced.
    About OPO prices, I think OPO will keep the prices close to these ones for next year (they said they were expecting to have zero profits for the first two years). When OPO was first announced I was expecting to have to buy it for 400€ (maybe 450€/500€ for the 64GB edition) and I wouldn't have a problem with that (not so enticing as the 299€ for the 64GB they have now, but not a bad deal either). My problem is more with the perspective of we have a company like OPO that sells a phone for €299 and another that sells a phone with the exact some specs (or inferior) for triple the price, with the only difference being the marketing. If it was a more durable product like a car, that you can keep for 10 years, it wouldn't bother me so much, but for something that is evolving so rapidly that everything changes every 2 years (if not less), it is a little more tough to understand.

Last edited: May 24, 2014

17. sam_fisher
    Honeycomb May 24, 2014

18. justgoforme
    Froyo May 24, 2014

19. ajsail944
    Gingerbread May 24, 2014

20. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean May 24, 2014

RogueS4 , May 24, 2014 :
    Its a nice smartphone with a fine body that doesn't mind getting a little wet

Ryan and HEADLESS_0NE like this.