LG G3 vs G2 - Camera Test - Little Improvement

1. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb May 27, 2014

NaNuNaNu , May 27, 2014 :
    **Update** - New camera test shows the G3 holding its own against the S5, Note 3, M8 and iPhone 5s. Maybe LG has taken a page from Apple and spent more time on the software side of the camera. The new OIS is obviously helping. See updated photo comparisons.

I was really hoping LG3 would bring something special in the camera department.

The addition of laser Autofocus and OIS is welcomed but I was disappointed to find out that the LG3 is using the same sensor as last years LG2. There appears to be some minor improvements in image quality over the G2(thanks to OIS and image software) but nothing mind blowing. If the G3 had a far superior camera to the G2, M8 or OPO then it would have been an instant buy it doesn't look like that will be the case.

LG G2/G3 sensor - Sony IMX135 w/ Invensense Gyro and pixel size is 1.12 µm, F2.2 Aperture
    OnePlus One - Sony Exmor IMX 214, pixel size is 1.12 µm and a F2.0 Aperture.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/april_2014/imx214_e.html

G3 vs G2:

Normal Light Test
    G2
    [​IMG]
    G3
    [​IMG]
    Low Light Test
    G2
    [​IMG]
    G3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    G2 vs G3 vs M8
    [​IMG]
    http://www.stuff.tv/g3/lg-g3-hands-review/feature
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G...etails-surface-in-depth-look-at-specs_id56561
    G3
    [​IMG]
    Galaxy S5
    [​IMG]
    iPhone 5s
    [​IMG]
    G3
    [​IMG]
    S5
    [​IMG]
    iPhone 5s
    [​IMG]
    G3
    [​IMG]
    S5
    [​IMG]
    iPhone 5s
    [​IMG]
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/First-LG-G3-camera-samples-get-compared-with-the-Galaxy-S5-One-M8-Note-3-and-iPhone-5s_id56566

Last edited: May 27, 2014

2. zorglub
    Gingerbread May 27, 2014

zorglub , May 27, 2014 :
    That's certainly disappointing, the G3 doesn't look so interesting to me now with this camera...
    According to Sony the IMX135 doesn't support HDR videos. Does it mean the G3 can't record HDR videos?

3. Mikasa Ackerman
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 27, 2014

4. jaybosslol
    Honeycomb May 27, 2014

5. randomtweaker

huevonloco and LostPorcupine like this.
  6. nishus97

nishus97 , May 27, 2014 :
    Pretty sure you can't do HDR video on any phone anyway?

marteebee likes this.
  7. LostPorcupine
    KitKat May 27, 2014

LostPorcupine , May 27, 2014 :
    That is pretty sad. While I was still intending on the OPO, the optics of the G3 really had me interested.
    Seeing the quality of the sensors compared like that? Seems to make the OPO stand out pretty significantly.

8. ren1818
    Gingerbread May 27, 2014

ren1818 , May 27, 2014 :
    That's actually a kick *** profile picture. Nick at Nite days... :rolleyes:

9. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb May 27, 2014

If the camera on the G3 was best in class, then I might have been tempted to buy it. As it is, I think the OPO's camera with some software tweaks(coming soon), will outperform the G3. I do wish the OPO had OIS but I can live without it as I don't shoot a lot of videos. Unless LG and Sony were to somehow add this feature, then I guess it will not capture HDR videos.

gnan10 likes this.
  10. Masked
    Gingerbread May 27, 2014

Masked , May 27, 2014 :
    There is definitely a noticeable improvement in the G3, specially in low light. It's still a step up

Bliznade likes this.
  11. Racercool3
    Honeycomb May 27, 2014

12. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb May 27, 2014

More than likely due to the new OIS, which helps in low light but I suspect there will be little difference in image quality in day to day shooting.

13. zorglub
    Gingerbread May 27, 2014

zorglub , May 27, 2014 :
    According to Sony the IMX135 only supports HDR video in 1080p, when the IMX214 supports 1080p, 4K and full. So once the One is well optimized we can hope to get both 4K video working well and maybe 4K video in HDR (if it's not already there?)

IMX.png
    source

Does anyone know if the OnePlus One has HDR as a video mode for sure? It's listed as part of the video features on gsmarena.
    The G3 is also listed with HDR as part of the video features on gsmarena but it may be limited to [email protected]

Binez likes this.
  14. master94
    Jelly Bean May 27, 2014

master94 , May 27, 2014 :
    I believe it does. I saw androidauthority video where it was used

15. zorglub
    Gingerbread May 27, 2014

zorglub , May 27, 2014 :
    Great!

The G3 pics from the update look much better than the first, not bad at all. Now the real test will be vs the OPO. The OPO has a better sensor than the G3 so with a little bit of love from CM everything's possible...

master94 likes this.
  16. ozi2007
    Froyo May 28, 2014

ozi2007 , May 28, 2014 :
    Stop right here!

Anandtech claimed that they use the old sensor IMX135 while on the hands on videos it's obvious that the LG G3 supports 4K video which only the IMX214 is meant to be able to record.

Also, there were claims about the G3 having a f2.0 aperture.

There's confusion right now. I personally do think that they use the newer IMX214 sensor. But maybe they have different sensors in the different versions or Anandtech confused something.

And one last thing: Software implementation is much more important than the actual hardware. iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 anyone? The GS3s camera sucked compared to the iPhone. For further proof check out the Sony smartphones which (oddly) f**k up almost every single time while other manufacturers use their sensors and achieve superior results.

Sonywalk, na5m, VincentV and 2 others like this.
  17. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb May 28, 2014

NaNuNaNu , May 28, 2014 :
    Yeah, I think this shows just how important software is to the final image quality. The OPO has proven it can take amazing photos and the hardware on paper should outperform the G3's sensor, so I am optimistic that the CM team will be able to tweak the software to maximize the sensors performance.

18. valle08
    Honeycomb May 28, 2014

valle08 , May 28, 2014 :
    Guy has a solid point here. (And yes software does play a very important role.)

19. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb May 28, 2014

NaNuNaNu , May 28, 2014 :
    I hope the G3 does have the newer sensor. As you said, they may be using different sensors in the different versions.

I agree that software is just as important to image quality. Apple more than any other company understands this. It's the reason the iPhone 6 will have the same 8 mega pixel sensor but with larger pixels, OIS and software enhancements, which undoubtedly will produce great image quality.

Android cameras have improved immensely over the last year but are still being matched or beaten by the iPhone's old Sony sensors. The difference is in the vastly better software.

The first Android phone with the build quality of an HTC M8, equipped with the best camera available on a smartphone, will be a true iPhone killer!

Adugr8 and Binez like this.
  20. luckyboiii69
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2014