LG's smartphone division hangs its boots officially, it's the end of an era

1. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Apr 5, 2021

CosmicPaladin , Apr 5, 2021 :
    LG, the electronic giant that always aims at going toe-to-toe with its home rival Samsung back in Korea, has finally decided to shut down its smartphone division - after 6 straight years of loss-making quarters.

To many, this will not come as a surprise as the rumor mills were indicating this for a while. Every time we thought they'd shut down, LG came up with a dramatic phone - it was the Velvet or the Dual Screen phone G8X ThinQ or the latest swiveling phone in the form of "Wing" – while some of these were rather unconventional, they presented a refreshing set of phones in the world of saturated designs where much of the OEMs tend to play it safe and blend into the trend.

LGG.jpeg
    Pic Credit - Tech Urge

July 31st
    is the date LG's smartphone division will cease to function. Asset liquidation will take the rest of the year as it's going to be a long haul. In terms of the software support to the recently launched phones, it's very unclear as to how long they'd do it, but hopefully, LG will make an official statement on that. That lack of clarity also flows into a project many of us were closely watching for - the rollable smartphones. Having done this, LG wants to focus more on the upcoming waves of 6G technology and also look into leveraging its tech onto smart vehicles. It remains to be seen how that will go.

I was a fan of the LG lineup – be it the standard flagships, the G series, or the niche V series flagships. They introduced many unique features such as on-screen tap gestures, button-free sides of the phone, 4-buttoned onscreen navigation, and so on, some of which made their way into many other phones.

The LG G5, Flex, and V30+ were my favorite LG phones! I am sure many of you have used or come in contact with the LG Flagships - which one is your favorite? Hit us up in the comments to let us know that and what you feel about this news.

2. pkg3107
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2021

pkg3107 , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Couldn't agree more... The unorthodox Wing design did came as a surprise (couldn't find a good practical use though).

I personally think they made good smartphones, used by some of my friends for their daily use, but let's see what 'exciting' things they bring by increasing focus on other areas 👍

3. smart_boy_yash
    Cupcake Apr 5, 2021

4. KPlusUK
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2021

KPlusUK , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Weaker chipsets on their "flagship" phones, poor marketing, getting better rival brand phones for the same price, were the main reasons why LG failed. They, like HTC, could have been major players in the smartphone market, but they messed up.

I have no sympathy for these brands that had the opportunity but messed up.

5. AdrianoS USA
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2021

6. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2021

7. GaOMn_03 , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Apr 5, 2021 :
    It's sad, but it was a story with a written end. They didn't realize the needs/desires of the market, and came out with mish-mashed phones and concepts, though really well executed for the most part.

9. Danny C.
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2021

10. A.Woodbury
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2021

11. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 5, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 5, 2021 :
    I'm writing this on my V30 that I use as my music box and alarm clock. The screen has severe burn in, but it's ok with black theme.

I think it doesn't really matter anymore, they made some interesting devices, but lagged behind on many fields.

12. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Apr 5, 2021

Starcommander , Apr 5, 2021 :
    My mum used LG Q6.
    I loved the phone because it was the first 18:9 display phone under 15k.
    The internal stricture of that phone reassembled a high end smartphone. Mostly the cheaper mid segment phones' use a rectangular shaped motherboard but LG had this different style which made it unique internally.
    IMG_20210226_170828__01.jpg

13. SRD.
    Lollipop Apr 5, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Never bought any LG smartphone, almost bought the G6 though.
    They needed improvements in many areas and instead of addressing the issues, they succumbed.
    From a design point of view, they were brilliant.
    LG V30+ & G6 were my favourites.
    Whenever the name OLED'll be discussed, the name "LG" 'll appear prominently.

14. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 5, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 5, 2021 :
    What Lg lacked was giving value at price! I bought LG G PRO LITE D868 which had stylus and ran on android kit kat and never got lolipop! Initially it ran good but after installing many apps it started lagging and hanging and died after 3years of use! Though it had good customisation and battery ! I saw Lg's mid line segments looked all the same and price to feature wasn't justified! LG never did proper advertisement and never thought of competition ! LG use to release flagship at some price and after some months price use to drop by half which made people feel cheated who bought first! When Chinese counterparts came in market with cheap price and high features and better hardware ,LG was not ready for it and from that point their market started shrinking and died eventually!

X1616722250163 likes this.
  15. Getraje
    Froyo Apr 5, 2021

16. Sorriso_NWK
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2021

Sorriso_NWK , Apr 5, 2021 :
    I have a soft spot for LG though I wasn't particularly wowed by my mobile with the useless stylus. At least they were putting mid-range devices on the market with consumer appeal. The mobile industry suffers when the competition shrinks. There's less incentive to innovate and prioritize affordability and sustainability. Huawei has already been decimated in the U.S. with the restrictions on acquiring components. Xiaomi doesn't have a retail presence here like it does in Europe which leaves Apple, Samsung, and Google at the top of the pyramid with Motorola and 1+ in close pursuit. What was the last successful mobile brand to popup on the scene? Will Nothing venture into this space or is there another company preparing in the shadows?

17. hojsimpson952
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2021

X1616722250163 and Starcommander like this.
  18. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 5, 2021

sfomin , Apr 5, 2021 :
    and that was their biggest mistake! if you are a peasant and want to take on the king, you better be miles better than the king...but they werent :rolleyes: