Network/Connectivity LHDC Bluetooth Support in Oxygen OS 12 with Third-Party Devices

1. inscythe
    Froyo Dec 14, 2021

inscythe , Dec 14, 2021 :
    With the newly-released (and currently suspended) Oxygen OS 12, the support for LHDC Bluetooth codec should be included. In the main Oxygen OS 12 thread, there are reports of LHDC working with the OnePlus Buds Pro.

However, I have a different device with LHDC, which is Shanling UP5. I have not been able to successfully activate the LHDC codec with my Oxygen OS 12. Anyone has any experience successfully connect to third-party party device to OP9Pro with LHDC codec like Edifier Neobuds Pro or Xiaomi TWS?

2. G_plusone
    Nougat Dec 14, 2021

Liehjan likes this.
  3. inscythe
    Froyo Dec 14, 2021

I see all of the AptX variants, LDAC, and LHDC. Picking LHDC manually from the Developer Options or even blocking all other codecs other than LHDC using Shanling app, it still can't activate the LHDC. It will just fallback to LDAC (or AptX if I block LDAC with Shanling app).

Shanling support asked me what is the version of LHDC supported by OOS 12, but I can't seem to find any information about that anywhere. Since I don't have any other device with LHDC support or anything with different LHDC versions, I thought it might be a good idea to ask here.

4. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Dec 14, 2021

drmartin , Dec 14, 2021 :
    On some headphones you need to go into the app for the headphones and enable LHDC too. Same for LDAC.

By default they will use AAC to conserve battery life of the headphones. This is true at least of Soundcore products.

Caomhin, Liehjan and G_plusone like this.
  5. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert Dec 14, 2021

Liehjan , Dec 14, 2021 :
    LHDC support is added in OOS 12 and it's working on buds pro. But you need to enable the coded in the app for buds pro... So maybe it's the same with other headphones too.

Caomhin and G_plusone like this.
  6. inscythe
    Froyo Dec 14, 2021

Errr... I already mentioned that I have enabled LHDC in the Shanling app.

Also, LDAC is active by default. Most wireless headphones or IEMs now will enable HD audio by default and pick whichever codec that is available (LDAC, AptX, etc.). My Sony XM3/4, Drop Panda, Edifier TWS Pro, etc. all defaulted to HD audio upon first connection.

G_plusone likes this.
  7. G_plusone
    Nougat Dec 14, 2021

G_plusone , Dec 14, 2021 :
    Have you tried hey melody app

8. inscythe
    Froyo Dec 14, 2021

Yes, I understand that as well. As I am going to repeat again: I have enabled LHDC in the Shanling app. It still remains at LDAC after toggling the LHDC on.
    That's for OnePlus audio devices, which is not my original question is about.
    Thank you for all your replies, but from the very beginning, my question is not about OnePlus Buds working with OP9Pro, which I already know that it is working. It's about third-party ones.
    Let me ask again: anyone with non-OnePlus audio devices with LHDC can confirm whether they can connect to OP9Pro on OOS 12 with LHDC enabled?
    Some examples:
    - Shanling UP5 (mine, not working)
    - Edifier NeoBuds Pro
    - Oppo EncoX Earbuds
    - Xiaomi TWS 2/3 Pro
    or anything you might add...

EDIT: To avoid future repetition, thread title is updated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021

drmartin, Liehjan and G_plusone like this.
  9. G_plusone
    Nougat Dec 14, 2021

G_plusone , Dec 14, 2021 :
    It seems earphone makers want us to download companion apps too

10. inscythe
    Froyo Dec 14, 2021

Well, I don't mind using the companion apps anyway. Just that I found that with Shanling app, it still doesn't work. I need to find out whether the issue lies on the side of OnePlus or on Shanling. LHDC is still a very young standard, so I expect something breaks during the period to be fair...

11. Black_
    Cupcake Jan 13, 2022

Black_ , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Wireless earphones Xiaomi Mi Air 2s support LHDC but when I enabled High Quality Audio I got AAC only... :(

12. N1597904157059
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2022

13. atxhardrocker23
    Cupcake May 18, 2022

atxhardrocker23 , May 18, 2022 :
    aye got the edifier neobuds pro today and nope can't get LHDC but can get LDHC..maybe one plus lied and only supports oneplus buds 🤔 for that codec