Lineage OS and device certification

1. Thingist
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2017

Thingist , Mar 16, 2017 :
    Hi, could someone who is using pure LineageOS with GApps on OPO check what it says in the Play Store settings under "Device Certification" (at the bottom). I have currently another LOS-based custom ROM and it says "Uncertified". However, I have LineageOS on an old Samsung Galaxy S2 and it says "Certified", which I honestly find a little strange.

I guess I could back up the OPO and install LOS just to check but at the moment this is just idle curiosity. Unless Google starts blocking uncertified devices or something. At the moment this certification does not seem to be used for anything.

2. jizang
    Lollipop Mar 16, 2017

jizang , Mar 16, 2017 :
    i believe it means if your phone is rooted or something, search and the answers will be presented

3. Thingist
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2017

Thingist , Mar 16, 2017 :
    Also I have a 3rd device with lineage os 14.1 and it doesn't have the certification entry at all in the play store settings. It is a WiFi only tablet so I don't know if that makes a difference.

pradeepjhala likes this.
  4. Mykson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 16, 2017

5. Thingist
    Gingerbread Mar 17, 2017

Thingist , Mar 17, 2017 :
    I did what I should have done in the first place and tested it myself. Lineage is certified on fresh install without rooting. Good to know in case Google starts enforcing the thing.

6. chacosax
    Donut Jul 4, 2017

chacosax , Jul 4, 2017 :
    It is possible to install Lineage without changing the boot.img?

certified checks root only or boot.img too?

7. remedy
    KitKat Jul 8, 2017

remedy , Jul 8, 2017 :
    I have three devices (OPO, Nexus 7, Samsung hlte) running LineageOS. OPO and Samsung are uncertified but Nexus 7 is certified. All are fresh installs, not rooted with unlocked bootloader. I'm beginning to think this is because I am running the latest beta of Google Play Services on the uncertified devices.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017