Linus' factory tour makes me feel a bit uncomfortable

1. F_張東尼_DtSX
    Honeycomb May 17, 2018

F_張東尼_DtSX , May 17, 2018 :
    He said that because the PCB was rubbing the inside of the case so a tape was put on the case to stop the rubbing.

Is this best practice to do such a thing? Feel a bit confusing.

Around 4:10 on his factory tour video.

Thanks.

G_plusone and SanyamJain3010 like this.
  2. Critzzu
    Gingerbread May 17, 2018

Critzzu , May 17, 2018 :
    I work in producing electronics, tape or small foam inserts are used in millions of electrical devices , probably some in your home right now, your worrying about nothing.

MikeG247 and otto2 like this.
  3. otto2
    Photography Expert May 17, 2018

otto2 , May 17, 2018 :
    You could build a minimal larger body and put the pcb in rubber mountings, but that would result in a way thicker body and add a risk of some vibration damages, so a tape should be the best and cheapest solution.

MikeG247 likes this.
  4. G_TV95_MeLm
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2018

G_TV95_MeLm , May 17, 2018 :
    It's a common practice, I've seen many phones which have such a tape or some kind of extra padding on the shell. You won't exactly get the measurements you've made in computer renders, and there sometimes is a millimeter or half off - but not more than that.

MentalDraco likes this.
  5. F_張東尼_DtSX
    Honeycomb May 17, 2018

F_張東尼_DtSX , May 17, 2018 :
    I have seem rubber pad being used but in the video, a transparent tape (like the household tape) is being used. I feel it is a bit strange.

6. Digita1Err0r
    Gingerbread May 17, 2018

Digita1Err0r , May 17, 2018 :
    I don't think using such tapes/tiny foam pads are anything new. I'm sure you could find them somewhere or the other in many phones at least, if not most.

7. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean May 17, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , May 17, 2018 :
    Don't know if that made its way into the final the product. The video is showing a production test run to identify any problems in the process. It could be a redesign. This pad doesn't matter though.

8. Martin70
    Honeycomb May 17, 2018

Martin70 , May 17, 2018 :
    Tape is used in the same way a rubber or metal washer might be, i.e. as a wear pad, locking device, to reduce vibration. This is very common practice and works very well so not something you should be concerned about. Hope that helps.