Liquid damage on OnePlus6 despite water resistance via OnePlus 3

1. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

tomplus22 , via OnePlus 3 , Feb 27, 2020 :
    I have been using my OnePlus 6 for well over a year now.
    so far I have been extremely happy with it until recently when it stopped working, the phone was restarting itself every 5 minutes.
    I also experienced a crack on the back of the phone near the volume button which many users have reported.

I sent my phone to the warranty for a service request. The pickup and diagnosis was fairly quick.
    Now the service center is asking for £300 for repairs saying it's due to "liquid damage" despite being advertised as a water resistant phone.
    the only time i got water in it was on my occasionally jogs/walks in the rain when I had it in my pocket .

Looking on the internet, a refurbished OnePlus 6 is much cheaper.
    This is my second OnePlus phone( previously I hade OnePlus 3).

I'm wondering whether it's worth getting another OnePlus or just switch to iPhone or Huawei?
    OnePlus is a very good phone but the customer service offered after buying the product has been terrible.

2. Cervantes
    Lollipop Moderator Feb 27, 2020

Cervantes , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Hi
    this issue of water resistance was discussed above
    the phone is water resistance: slight splashes
    The phone is Not Waterproof, it has no IP certification

otto2, Kytharsis, Auristic and 3 others like this.
  3. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

seems to not even be resistant to splashes though, as I mentioned It only got splashed in my trousers pocket. it was not submerged.

a find it a bit misleading that OnePlus specifically put adds in the past showing phone being splashed with water and being fine.[e]1f622[/e]

4. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Feb 27, 2020

pablofg1978 , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Did you keep your phone in the pocket while it was wet?

otto2 and Kytharsis like this.
  5. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 27, 2020 :
    If you have a cracked back means that there is another way for sweat/moisture/liquid to get into your phone... If ther water indicators inside the phone is pink/red then there is no warranty...
    This apply to every single device, waterproof or not

otto2 and Kytharsis like this.
  6. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

that's true, but the cracked back seems to be a manufacturing issue so surely you'd expect OnePlus to offer a fix for free as part of warranty
    a lot of people on here and Reddit seems to be reporting the cracked back near volume button for the OnePlus 6

7. Auristic
    KitKat Feb 27, 2020

Auristic , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Nope, this is only a usage issue (people carrying their devices in their back pocket who sat on it for example): remember you had the choice to buy it with a glass back or not...

Next time think twice before buying an inadequate mobile regarding your usage...

K1ngP1n, pablofg1978, drl431 and 2 others like this.
  8. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

Auristic

Nope, this is only a usage issue (people carrying their devices in their back pocket who sat on it for example): remember you had the choice to buy it with a glass back or not...

Next time think twice before buying an inadequate mobile regarding your usage...​

I had the phone inside a OnePlus case at all times . it cracked while in the protective case.
    definitely bad manufacturing on side of OnePlus.

I always have it in my jacket pocket or front pocket.

9. Caomhin
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 27, 2020 :
    There is nothing anyone can do for you here, we are all users, OnePlus do not monitor these threads.

You can contact OnePlus support directly for more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for contact details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

drl431, Auristic and Kytharsis like this.
  10. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

thanks. I will drop them a message

Caomhin likes this.
  11. K1ngP1n
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 27, 2020

K1ngP1n , Feb 27, 2020 :
    And they will do nothing

12. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

will keep you posted. depends if they want to keep me as a customer in the future. otherwise I will probably move to Apple tbh

13. pablofg1978

So... You think that if you bring an iPhone with the back cover broken and with water damage to Apple the will fix it for free under warranty?

Kytharsis, otto2, Caomhin and 2 others like this.
  14. K1ngP1n
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 27, 2020

K1ngP1n , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Exactly that's my point

Kytharsis and otto2 like this.
  15. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

yes my friend has done that and he had it fixed for free several times, no question asked

the point is that the back cracking is a known manufacturing issue, that's why the crack is propagating from the volume button in almost every case you can find on the internet.
    the back cover cracks without the phone even being dropped 😐
    OnePlus should offer a free fix
    it's just bad design.

16. Caomhin
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

tomplus22

yes my friend has done that and he had it fixed for free several times, no question asked

the point is that the back cracking is a known manufacturing issue, that's why the crack is propagating from the volume button in almost every case you can find on the internet.
    the back cover cracks without the phone even being dropped 😐
    OnePlus should offer a free fix
    it's just bad design.​

Apple will only do that if you take out their Apple care insurance, bought seperate from your phone payment, which can be quite expensive.

Kytharsis and otto2 like this.
  17. pablofg1978

Is not a manufacturer defect, just a bunch of careless ppl.
    Glass is glass and it will break, if it breaks where the buttons are is because the cutout on the frame.
    You broke the Gass by putting excessive force on it.
    Then, knowing that the glass was broken you exposed it to water and moisture.
    You are the only responsible of what happened to your phone
    And in the bendgate during iPhone 6 time, you had to pay for the repair, unless you paid extra for insurance

Kytharsis, otto2 and Caomhin like this.
  18. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020

I only found out that the back was broken when I removed the protective case. and I only kept phone in front trouser pocket or jacket pocket. I don't see how this can be considered excessive force. where do you keep yours, in a locked safe ?

it's bad manufacturing.

19. Caomhin
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2020

Many others have the OP phones, no one has complained of bad manufacturing because they broke the back of the phone.

And still, it makes no difference, you are in an echo chamber here. Use the link I sent above to contact OnePlus directly.

Kytharsis likes this.
  20. tomplus22
    Donut Feb 27, 2020