Lithium-Ion Batteries consumption Explained!

1. MarcioReis87
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 6, 2017

MarcioReis87 , Dec 6, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

Today, let's talk about the famous Lithium-Ion Batteries that powers our beloved smartphones from OnePlus and other Oems.
    Batteries came a long way from Nickel Cadmium to the now existing Li-Ion/Li-polymer through technological evolution and human needs for more power with more endurance.
    Lithium-Ion Batteries, diferently from Nickel Cadmium, don't suffer from memory loss. It's charge capacity is determined by charge cycles.

Normally, a Li-Ion battery has a perfect 100% charge till to 300-400 cycles. A complete cycle is a full 0-100% recharge. For example: If today you woke up in the morning with a charge of 30% and charge it to 80% to last the full day, it charged 50%.
    Tomorrow you wake up with a 20% battery left and you charge it to 70% that completes a full cycle. (day 1 50%, day 2 50% = 100% in 2 days which means 1 cycle has been used from the battery)

But what happens when i go above the 300-400 cycles?
    If you go above these cycles your battery simply loses it's total charge capacity (mah)
    To put it into simple terms here's are some results from long term used Li-Ion batteries.
    From 400-700 cycles your battery max capacity drops to 90-95%
    From 600-1000 cycles your battery max capacity drops to 85-90%
    From 800-1500 cycles your battery max capacity drops to 80-85%
    From 1200-2000 cycles your battery max capacity drops to 70-75%
    From 2400-4000 cycles your battery max capacity drops to 60-65%
    etc...
    All these are estimates, take it with a grain of salt
    There is no way of stopping a Li-Ion battery degrading itself. It's just how it works.

But there's are ways to take the most out of your battery and make it live just longer.
    For a healthy long lasting battery, the battery should stay cool at all times. The worst enemy for a Li-Ion battery is heat. High temperatures just kills the electrodes making it lose charge more quickly and considerably degrading its capacity(mah)
    But not only heat, time too!
    It is estimated that every month, your battery loses about 0.01% of it's max capacity. Nothing major but something to consider.

How should i treat my battery to get the best out of it as possible?
    Actually, this question is pretty simple to answer but requires a lot of hard work.
    Like we've seen, a healthy battery it should stay cool at the most time possible. Perfect temperatures are 20-25 degrees Celsius.
    But another factor is how you charge the phone.
    A Li-Ion shouldn't be charged more than 70% at once which i know many are familiar with. But not only that.
    For the a perfect healthy battery it should operate within the margins of not less than 30% charge and not having more than 80% charge. Pretty difficult huh?

The myth of charging it overnight damaging your battery is false btw. That was true for the Nickel Cadmium which battery could go as far as exploding themselves. Now chargers have a trickle method that smartly induces low charge to your batteries to not exceed the 100%. But imagine trickling for 8 hours straight. It means its still charging your phone which can reduce your beloved charging cycles.
    Another major factor, don't let your battery die to 0%, electrodes need a minimum of voltage to operate. For safety reasons, Li-Ions have a safety 2.5V to not complete deplete the battery. If your battery has no Voltates whatsoever, it can't be recharged since electrodes won't move from minus pole the max pole. It's considered dead.

Another great thing, the famous calibration of your battery. No fancy apps is needed. To be honest, what you need to to is once per month let the phone die "let the phone deplete it's charge shutting itself down" and let the phone charge till it's full and turn it on and it's calibrated. Nothing more is needed.

My SOT is lower than expected, what should i do?
    That's a tough one to respond to be honest. Your Screen on time depends on many factors.
    First one being the age of your battery and how many recharge cycles it has been through already.
    Next one are the Apps you're using. Apps like Facebook, messenger, Mail, ... easy out, every app that send you notifications are tremendously power hungry.
    Next i would say it's the screen that many don't take into account which i went into details in this topic i made about amoled screens (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/amoled-and-its-battery-consumption-explained.705034/)
    Thankfully oneplus gave us smartphones with this awesome pentile arranged amoled screen for the recent oneplus devices. Take your time and read that topic too, your battery will certanily thank you

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

2. lostLambda
    Lollipop Dec 6, 2017

lostLambda , Dec 6, 2017 :
    Mods....... please delete

3. MarcioReis87

4. MarcioReis87

you can read my AMOLED affecting battery instructions while you're here, and while I finish this
    forums.oneplus.net/threads/amoled-and-its-battery-consumption-explained

5. MarcioReis87

Guess i'm finished. Hopefully it was entertaining and informative to all of you.
    Might add some more tests when time passes by to keep you more informed.
    Have fun

6. Goncho265
    Donut Dec 6, 2017

Last edited: May 3, 2018

7. T1511826350460
    Eclair Dec 6, 2017

8. MarcioReis87

It's bad when your phone constantly dies at 0%. it won't be an issue in early days but it affects the electrodes in the long run. Do it once per month and you're totally ok.

Goncho265 likes this.
  9. Goncho265
    Donut Dec 6, 2017

Last edited: May 3, 2018

10. MarcioReis87

Glad you liked it :) next I might to Android optimizations. who knows

T1511826350460 likes this.