Live from New York! - Meet the OnePlus team | Part 1: Evenings at the Metrograph Theater

1. David X. NA Copywriter Staff Member Mar 15, 2019

David X., Mar 15, 2019 :
    Forum.png

Hi friends,

Happy Friday! My name is David Y. No, not that @David Y. —I'm not the Community Manager you all know and love . To avoid confusing everyone, I’ll be going as David X. on the forums.

Anyhow, I’m kicking off the first in a series of posts where our US team members introduce themselves, from their role at OnePlus to their passions and hobbies.

I joined OnePlus exactly one year ago to this day. Initially, I spent 9 months in HQ to learn the ins and outs of the company before transitioning back to the New York office earlier this year.

My job is to assist departments on any and all projects that need copy. This means anything from scripts and speeches to email newsletters and articles, as well as everything in between.

I'm originally from SoCal. Back home, I have a pitbull rottweiler mix named Cleo, but everyone just calls her “Party Girl”.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 2.02.54 PM.png
    Party Girl at rest.

In addition to reading (currently reading Lost in the City by Edward P. Jones) and writing, I love taking pictures, particularly street photography, and watching movies.

I’m also big into podcasts and enjoy listening to my favorite murder mystery (shoutout to My Favorite Murder!) and business/financial podcasts (Jill on Money, Without Fail) while cooking or doing chores around the house.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 2.16.29 PM.png
    I love PocketCasts. It's a podcast app I can't live without.
    This year, my resolution is to become an expert on making pasta from scratch. Last weekend, I made walnut pesto fettuccine. This weekend, I’m doing pho with homemade rice noodles.

On the weekends, I enjoy walking through historic neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights, the Bronx, or Chinatown with my camera.

These days, I find myself shooting film, though my trusty OnePlus 6T is great when I need to shoot digital. My favorite pictures are always of people. I look for those who appear lost or out of place, as well as those who seem to belong to a place more so than others around them. In either situation, it’s an innate type of authenticity that appeals to me.

Here are two pictures I took in Hong Kong a few months ago (with faces turned away for privacy):

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.14.42 PM.png
    Street Food

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.18.08 PM.png
    Cab Crossing
    In addition to street photography, I also try to watch movies once a week in theaters. My favorite is the Metrograph, a gorgeous two screen theater on the Lower East Side that has some of the best programming in NYC. Where else can you see Hou Hsiao-hsein’s Millennium Mambo and Chantal Akerman’s News from Home in one day? It’s places like the Metrograph that make New York... New York.

7ddee86d-a6df-11e8-8e7d-000c29a578f8.jpg
    Millennium Mambo (2001)
    This weekend, they’re screening Catherine Breillat’s Fat Girl. I’ll be attending so let me know if you plan to come out!

Finally, when I need to get work done, I go to Saturday’s NYC. It’s a clothing store, coffee-shop, and kinda-sorta surf shop with a private outdoor area that has bench seating. Solid vibes! Right now, it’s a bit cold in NYC, but you bet I’ll be there once temperatures hit 60.

46041473b9881d940c88ed777d539556.jpg
    Secret Garden at Saturdays NYC, formerly "Saturdays Surf NYC"
    That’s it from me this week! Next week, I’m so happy to re-introduce @Kyle K., our Head of North America to the forums.

Until then, I have a question for the US community: If you were stuck on a desert island and could only bring 1 movie, 1 book, and 1 album, which ones would you bring and why? I'll share my answers below in the comments.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

2. David X. NA Copywriter Staff Member Mar 15, 2019

Stickied Post
    David X., Mar 15, 2019 :
    As for my deserted island movie, book, and album...

Movie: No question—I would bring Wong Kar-Wai's Chungking Express. It’s not a perfect movie, but man, those wild tungsten-tinged colors, the blue and greens... I’m not sure the orientation of A/B plots work for me, and the dialogue gets a little hokey at parts... but Chungking Express is a movie I’ve seen so many times, and despite its flaws, each time I watch it, I discover new things and fall in love with it all over again.

Book: The Murphy Stories by Mark Costello. A masterpiece of a short story collection. My favorite is “Murphy’s X-Mas" which takes place over a dreary Christmas day as the protagonist makes his way through “haunted Decatur” on his way home to face his family—the end result is a constellation of bitterness, regret, and loss redeemed by the humanity that ripples from every sentence: “...His mother is awake in a nightgown of shriveled violet, with yellow spears of wheat sown into the shoulders like cross-staves of static lightning about to go off...” It’s chicken noodle soup for the soul, man.

Album: This one is hard. I’ll probably go with Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run—if only for the sheer gamut of emotions the album runs through (ahem). And if you’re on a desert island with just one voice to accompany you, make it Bruce Springsteen’s.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019

superplus, puma95, gaster and 16 others like this.
  3. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 15, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 15, 2019 :
    David,

You are an awesome photographer, seriously. Haven't tried out PocketCasts, yet will take a look this weekend.

My 1 movie, 1 book, and 1 album for the deserted island:
    • Moana (need something light and peppy to sing along with)
    • A nature survival guide :p this one seems pretty solid:
    518gGE+4gcL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    • Amazing Grace by Aretha Franklin (1972 live recordings, her soul/gospel works are highly underrated masterpieces in history imo)

superplus, puma95, gaster and 13 others like this.
  4. The1Lion Lollipop Mar 15, 2019

The1Lion, Mar 15, 2019 :
    Movie: LOTR because one movie to rule them all and on the island to waste time on!

Book : JRR Tolkien Lord of the Rings. To see how accurate the movie is :D

Album: LOTR soundtrack of course :p:D

But how am I going to watch or play music? :confused:

5. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Mar 15, 2019

toastytoast1234, Mar 15, 2019 :
    I wasn't feeling you here, but you won me over with the double whammy of Shu Qi & Bruce.

superplus, G_plusone, YRJ and 6 others like this.
  6. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 15, 2019

Ruby G., Mar 15, 2019 :
    You just get to hold them in your hands. Hopefully you have the songs/favorite movie scenes in your memory already hah

7. Z2ROCOOL Eclair Mar 16, 2019

G_plusone and Kytharsis like this.
  8. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Mar 16, 2019

toastytoast1234, Mar 16, 2019 :
    Well Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run.

9. Kytharsis Marshmallow Mar 16, 2019

10. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 16, 2019

B.yashaswi, Mar 16, 2019 :
    welcome to Community @David X. now i am indeed in search for David Z. thanks for posting,would like to see the things that come up. After reading all those things can say that thiis is how the live's of OnePlus employees live. :D

11. huxley1t Gingerbread Mar 16, 2019

huxley1t, Mar 16, 2019 :
    Movie: Sex and the City, the question is " why not"

Book: Jin Yong's The Duke of the Mount Deer. I STILL HAVEN'T FINISH THIS BOOK even without trapped in an island.

Album: Logic's Everybody. Just because of 1-800-273-8255.

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. SJBoss Lollipop Mar 16, 2019

SJBoss, Mar 16, 2019 :
    You might eat LOTR food as well eh? :rolleyes:
    are you the one who runs around in gandalf costume and yells “YOU SHALL NOT PASS” every time signal turns red?

13. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 16, 2019

FlixbusLennart, Mar 16, 2019 :
    Nice read!

If you love podcasts, definitely check out Business Wars.
    They tell the stories of competing businesses in a very captivating, entertaining way. I loved the episodes about Red Bull vs Monster and lately, Bad Boy vs Death Row Records was very well made.

Ruby G. likes this.
  14. YRJ Lollipop Mar 16, 2019

YRJ, Mar 16, 2019 :
    HI @David Y. welcome to the community! Glad you came with an introduction :p
    there are Community product managers, Experts, moderators who come in without an intro and create threads :rolleyes:
    that apart, beautiful pictures, love them.
    NYC looks great :cool:

as for the deserted Movie Book Album, I just figured I don't fit in this oldies talks, anyway:
    Book: Murder On The Orient Express
    Movie: Searching 2018
    Album: 1000 forms of fear Sia<3

Yeah I know I'm a kid, its okay!

Will see you around, have fun :)

G_plusone and Ruby G. like this.
  15. meatandy Oreo Mar 16, 2019

meatandy, Mar 16, 2019 :
    < @David X. ;)
    Welcome to the forum.

Ruby G. and YRJ like this.
  16. YRJ Lollipop Mar 16, 2019

17. meatandy Oreo Mar 16, 2019

meatandy, Mar 16, 2019 :
    Not going to click around , why bother ...:confused:

YRJ likes this.
  18. script Nougat Moderator Mar 16, 2019

script, Mar 16, 2019 :
    Hi David,

Nice introduction. Glad to meet you.

Can i take a chromebook to that island?

My favorite movie was, for a very long time, Alien 2.

I love short stories from Roald Dahl, and I would read Snow Crash again and again, from Neil Stephenson

Ps. Forgot the music. Best of Tom Petty. And all Frank Zappa and Genesis.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019

keithnyc, gaster and Ruby G. like this.
  19. YRJ Lollipop Mar 16, 2019

YRJ, Mar 16, 2019 :
    His name is David Y. So I tagged David Y. but the best part is the real David Y. Would never know that he was tagged, cool no? :D
    I know that made possibly no sense but you get my point, so yeah! :D

20. The1Lion Lollipop Mar 16, 2019

The1Lion, Mar 16, 2019 :
    No, but thanks for the idea!

G_aman_bhotika_libra likes this.