Lockdown... Purchases you don't regret

1. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 13, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Hey Everyone,

After almost a year in (semi)-lockdown and working from home, I'd like to take some time to reflect on the purchases I did due to the situation. Especially those that I do not regret, and maybe wish I bought earlier!

This thread won't be making any specific brand or model recommendations, but just overall assessments of stuff I liked.

Enough jibber-jabber, let's get to it!

1. Decent Coffee Brewers

IMG_20210413_201215_483.jpg

Working from home you tend to miss some office commodities. Next to the default office supplies (like a decent desk chair for some), the one I missed the most was coffee.

At home I only had a very basic, capsule based coffee machine. Not even one of the better George Clooney machines, just a glorified instant coffee maker... After months of drinking this stuff, I felt like I should probably invest in something better...

So I did, I got a real espresso machine with steam wand. I paired this together with a good coffee grinder and some fresh beans! And boy.... What a difference does this make. Great cappuccino for the morning (and maybe for brunch), and awesome espresso throughout the day. Even my non coffee loving GF emediately liked the brews made with this combination more and now regularly asks for a cup as well!

But what if you just want a normal cup of coffee I hear you say? Well, depending on the grinder, you can easily switch to a rougher grind. Perfectly suited for a French Press or Pour Over coffee maker. Both of which you can get on the cheap from IKEA these days...

2. Hair Clippers

IMG_20210413_201417_607~2.jpg

With barbers and hairdressers being closed or overbooked most of the last year, I definitely needed a haircut. The only option I had was getting some clippers and doing it "myself".

Luckily I have a loving girlfriend that could do the work, at least after watching some instructional videos on youtube. Believe it or not, both those hairdos in the picture are mine about 30 minutes apart!

3. Smart Thermostats

IMG_20210413_201205_861.jpg

Being home all the time, things like the heating bill are sure to go up. But you're not using the whole house all the time now are you? So why not just heat your office as needed.... That's perfectly doable thanks to the IOT and some smart thermostats.

Sure it was a substantial investment to do right now, but it will easily pay itself back over the coming years. It's not like we could have gone on holiday either way this year. With predicted heating bill savings of more than 40% , the system will break even in no time.

Not only does it save you on the bill, but it also substantially increases the comfort in your home. Especially in an older house like ours, we no longer have an over-heated bathroom while waiting for the living room to heat up to our desired temperature.

4. Pets

IMG_20210413_201203_103.jpg

This is definitely not something for everyone, but as a dog lover this was the ideal moment to invest in a companion.

We had the time to raise the puppy properly and make sure it was trained by the time normal life will resume.

There are a few things to consider though. For one, you don't want an overly attached pet, so make sure to leave them alone from time to time. You don't need to take them with you everywhere, they'll be perfectly fine for a few hours alone! Secondly, you still need to socialize them. So going to the park, letting them play with others and saying hi to strangers is crucial. Keeping these two points in mind, everything should be fine by the time we can return to our non-lockdown selves.

We chose to get a puppy from a breeder, but please check out your adoption centers first. All these dogs deserve just as much love as a young puppy and will often thank you their whole life for saving them. The main reason we got a puppy instead is because at the time, our adoption centers were basically empty. And the second reason was that we needed to make sure she could get along with my parents and sisters pets as well.

As always with pets, these are living beings that become a part of your family. You need to realize that they will stay with you for a long time, need attention, care and food. Please make sure that not only your current situation, but also your future one can accommodate that. And with puppies especially, they grow-up (too) fast:
    IMG_20210413_201209_281.jpg

5. Jumper Pack

upload_2021-4-13_21-12-40.png

The most recent purchase for me is a small lithium-ion based jump-starter. The picture above is for reference only, but there's many of these available online and at car parts stores.

With our cars standing still for longer amounts of time, their batteries tend to degrade a bit. Especially with just shorter trips being made to the store and back, they never really get the opportunity to charge property.

On the latest of these short trips, I could not even get out of my garage. My battery was dead and I had no way to get the car going. No pushing, the modern ignition systems don't always allow this. No possibility for jumping it with another car, narrow garage and parked the "wrong" way to easily get another car near it. The only 12V battery charger I had ready was a unit designed for small motorcycle batteries... Would probably take ages to get the car battery back up to the level needed.

That's exactly where this little wonder comes into play! I could start my car with ease using this little unit. To be honest I was quite surprised that something no bigger than a TI-84 calculator could start my car! Above that, it's super portable, so you can keep it laying around in the garage/car without an issue. Some extra benefits of it are the built in flashlight and battery pack to charge your USB devices as well. Ideal little road-trip companion in other words!

This is definitely something you want to get BEFORE you need it. Especially if you don't drive to often anymore. spend some of the gas money you usually would use on one of these. Your future self might thank you!

6. You Tell Me!

As usual with my threads, I would like to know if you have something similar! Tell other users what's worth getting. Show us what changed your life in recent purchases!

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 13, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    I go always for coffee and a dog:)

3. Tokolozi

Those are indeed, very important to me as well! The order of the post has nothing to do with importance.

4. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    True :)
    But there is one thing you can not buy: health for you and your family and friends..

5. Tokolozi

Indeed, so far I've been lucky with that at least. (minus my ear infection 2 weeks ago)

6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Those hair clippers, damn................I’d say that’s your best investment.:p

7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Stay safe and your also your family!

8. Tokolozi

Haha, indeed... They did make a large change!

9. Tokolozi

Will do, we're making sure to follow the lockdown rules to the best of our ability!

Same for you ;)

10. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Same here! Thanks:)

11. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 13, 2021

Arjun_Choudhry , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Absolutely agree on the pets part. Got a Doberman pup in Jan, and the little fellow is the centre of all our lives :)

12. Navdeep_Malik
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2021

13. Niklasg85
    Honeycomb Apr 13, 2021

14. Tokolozi

I have one on order.... Maybe if it arrives I can add it to the list.

The PC, switch and PS4 keep me busy for now :)

15. Tokolozi

Better prepared I would say.... Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

16. BetiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2021

BetiK , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Hi @Tokolozi

Your story is very interesting. In fact, in many homes it happened very similarly despite the borders and language.

We also invested in the espresso machine and the hair clipper. And I'm the one who does my husband's hair. We already had the battery charger, which is always useful. The item that we didn't match is the pet that I already had and which, unfortunately, I just lost.

This analysis is very interesting because your purchases are exactly the same as most Brazilians have also made. The world and people's needs are now global. Thanks

17. Navdeep_Malik
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2021

Navdeep_Malik , Apr 13, 2021 :
    hope so but here things have started to look not so good!

18. BetiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2021

19. Tokolozi

Yes, I got into a talk with some of my family in South Africa, and realized how "small" our world has become. You can see it even by the shortages of some good in all counties what people needed. In the early lockdown it was hard to get any clippers in the stores here!

And again, my condolences on the loss of your cat. It really is like the loss of a family member, especially with all the joy they bring in our lives.

20. Tokolozi

Here the numbers are going down at least. But we've basically been in lockdown with only essential things open (and order only stores) for the past two months again.