Looking back at the OnePlus 7 Pro, a device marching to the beat of its own drum

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 3, 2020

Cheetosdust , Apr 3, 2020 :
    OnePlus 7 Pro.png

Three OnePlus devices and a trio of giveaways. The OnePlus One ignited it all; the OnePlus 3 and the necessary restraint for later strides; the OnePlus 7 Pro as the device that single-handedly made a company ascend to a new peak of consumer satisfaction and brand maturity. No device is perfect and the latter is no exception, but it’s also a feel-good device and, for the first time, not a contemplation of the greatest, but a smartphone that sits on their shoulders.

Looking back, it was always the screen. Not only the resolution of 1440p and the 90Hz refresh rate, but also the size and the opulence it evokes. When I took the device out of its box, I was temporarily impressed and in awe. Days later, it all returned rounded to the tenth: the communication between user and device matured and made me realize just how good the screen was to the consumption of all kinds of media, yes, but also for reading the news or to just simply lay my eyes on.

Months later, I’m still in awe whenever my lizard brain notices it all again; I’m still spoiled, something a different screen quickly reminds me. The OnePlus 7 Pro is my first OnePlus device that doesn’t make me write how I wish the company offered something without asterisks, conditions I usually notice weeks or months getting used to the device - and after the device gets used to my daily routine. Performance, a staple for OnePlus, finally meets the silk and cotton of looks made to soothe you, to disappear until they’re contemplated just because they are still there.

No notches, no holes, no interruptions, no indentations; a screen melted like a clock Salvador Dalí drew. A hefty device at 206g, the case making pressure on your pinky, letting you know you’re holding the device. More than this and it would be uncomfortable as it still can be during longer periods of time. When you lift a Samsung device, like the Galaxy Note 10 Plus or the Galaxy S10 Plus, your brain makes your hand reach for more weight, but they are surprisingly light devices. The OnePlus 7 Pro is not.

OnePlus 7 Pro 3.png

The best photos I ever took were not with a OnePlus device. I like photography, but I’m not a photographer; I appreciate photography but know enough about it to also know where my place is: a customer pointing and shooting, contemplating. My Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus took better photos than my previous OnePlus devices and my Pixel 3 XL takes better photos than the OnePlus 7 Pro. To me. For me. By me. Does this mean the cameras on this device are bad? No, not at all.

They are good, solid, versatile with a main, a telephoto and a wide angle lenses. It is, by far, the device that allows me to do more. My point is: the cameras on the OnePlus 7 Pro should not be the reason you would buy the device, but they also should not be the reason you wouldn’t buy it. All these devices later, OnePlus continues to learn, giving hope to the next device and each “next device” inching closer to be up there with the greatest. Can the OnePlus 8 Series be that device? I don’t know. But I do know OnePlus must be aware by now that their camera department is lagging behind the excellence achieved by the other departments. No pressure then.

And, to me, the pop-up camera is the perfect solution. Try to find it and you can’t see where it is, hiding inside its cocoon, giving way to a few more millimeters of uninterrupted screen. As someone who doesn’t take selfies, the only downside is not using Face Unlock as much as I did with the previous devices - something mitigated by a capable fingerprint scanner placed on the correct side of the device.

We are living in a time when we can look back. The world outside spins at a different rhythm. While I was contemplating writing this thread, I kept coming back to the screen and how it determines everything on this phone. To me, the OnePlus performance was raw, like a kick in the door. The performance on my Pixel is worse, by far, but it’s more subtle, like a gust of wind versus a breeze. That raw performance is still here, but the 90Hz dissimulates it, making the whole experience feel more like delicate tracery.

YouTubers and pundits said and wrote times and times again “buttery smooth” and “the beast”. Stepping out of that bubble of recycled opinions and you actually have something not “buttery” and certainly not best described using “beast” as a metaphor. The OnePlus 7 Pro is actually a device that tries not to be a beast even if the power is there, dormant, for whenever it’s needed. This device is the most friendly and gentle OnePlus device in years, perhaps since forever.

OnePlus 7 Pro 2.png

Thinking about these past months using the device and it is, more than ever, a smartphone that marches to the beat of its own drum.

And now, when the OnePlus 8 Series is almost here, the OnePlus 7 Pro can be a curse after being a blessing for almost a year. I’m sure the next device is going to be great and I believe it’s going to be better than the OnePlus 7 Pro. However, who is going to feel the need to upgrade? Sure, the tech enthusiasts are feeling that itch, the “latest and greatest” fans also. The problem is that, just like Apple, OnePlus created a smartphone that’s great since it was launched and its quality will surpass the update cycle. Will I upgrade? I still don't know.

I’m not telling you to buy or to skip the next OnePlus device, I’m telling you that no, even with the OnePlus 8 Series on the market, the OnePlus 7 Pro will not ride off into the sunset, even with its flaws and features missing. I don’t know anything about the OnePlus 8 Pro, but to me it will show us OnePlus perfecting the formula that started with the OnePlus 7 Pro - just like the OnePlus 5 was an iteration of the OnePlus 3.

I would love if you could look back with me and write your experience with the OnePlus 7 Series. If you never bought one, you can also tell the forums why. And, independently of the device you are using right now, how do you see the imminent arrival of a new series of devices? It doesn’t matter if your experience was stellar, good or bad - it’s all part of remembering and it’s all part of contemplating this moment in OnePlus history.

The OnePlus 7 Pro will be remembered as a stepping stone towards an uncompromising future and one of the rare instances when an illusion was replaced by a palpable object as the result of theory and execution working hand-in-hand.

2. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 3, 2020 :
    Woah, that was good. I just bought the 7T in December and I'd definitely skip the 8 series. I think they should've waited a bit longer jumping all the bars they broke with the 7 series, 90 Hz being one of them. For me, if you create a device that defines you, you keep it in the market for a couple of years. Only bumping the regular specs like SOC, Battery and Camera up in the second year. And not completely bring it up to next level. Any regular user would atleast keep his phone for a couple of years before thinking about upgrading.

Leo_roar, G_plusone, Ajdi and 3 others like this.
  3. Cheetosdust

Hah, thanks for reading it. :blush:

I never owned a OnePlus 7T or a 7T Pro, however, I briefly played with a OnePlus 7T and it felt like a pretty good and capable device. I was pleasantly surprised.

I always thought it was "just" a more refined OnePlus 6T from the looks of it, but it's actually a different experience. :cool:

4. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Apr 3, 2020

the_o2 , Apr 3, 2020 :
    Looks like you missed the OnePlus 5 where the camera things started for OnePlus :rolleyes:;)

No headphone Jack, No dongle in-box... :D:D

One of them chill here in WoHo :cool::cool:

Don't lie we have a leaker here too :p:p

I wish I had one....

That is a true statement :):)

Really loved reading this thread, I wish I also have the ability to explain my feelings in such an awesome words :):)

7Pro was Great let's wait for the 8 :cool:

5. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 3, 2020

SJBoss , Apr 3, 2020 :
    I was going to read it all... And I really tried hard and been through first paragraph, second paragraph thir... Wait why there's so many paragraphs? I wondered... And it was then that I realised It's a Cheetos thread and I accepted my defeat.

TL;.DR?
    TL;.DR (Yes)

6. harshil1903
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2020

harshil1903 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 3, 2020 :
    Indeed, the 6 to 6T jump was nothing compared to the 7 to 7T jump. There were a lot of core differences among them. And the price of 7T felt most justified among all the 7/T/Pro models to me.

Switching from 3 to 7T was already a big jump for me anyway. Still, if it were up to me, I'd refrain from launching phones twice a year with just overclocked SoC and minor improvements. While it seems like a good option, the ones who purchased the non-T devices feel betrayed. I won't speak for everyone, just for me.

OnePlus 3 was the very first phone I ever owned. When I bought it in the month of June, I was more excited and happy about owning an electronic device than ever. All my friends were pretty excited to test it out. But in just 4 months, 3T was announced and the 3 lost it's touch and glory. Not that it was a bad device in any way, but it had a better version of it come out in less than 6 months. I don't think that's enough time. I felt betrayed in a way, even though"Betrayed" sounds a little extreme here. So ever since, I've not been a fan of having two flagship phones being released in a year. Yes, it boosts your capitalism idea but hurts me.

Still, I'd love for people to remember OnePlus 7 Pro as the stepping stone to the new era of OnePlus and not just one of the phones that OnePlus launched in it's lifetime.

Helder_DAlmeida and Cheetosdust like this.
  7. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Apr 3, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Apr 3, 2020 :
    After reading this thread I wonder why am I in the writers club and you're not... I'm giving you my spot :rolleyes:

Anyway, let me answer, since you asked,

It's always exciting the arrival of new products, but regarding the leaks and rumors there's not much improvement that I'm interested in. In fact, I feel like ditching the pop up camera is a step back. I know many people hate having moving parts that compromise the integrity of the phone, but for me, having a hole is not ideal (neither is the notch), even when everyone says that you get used to it...

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be surprised when we know everything about the 8s... We will see. The only thing I'm sure about is that I love the 7pro and I'm not changing it anytime soon.

Thank you for all the work involved here and the nice reading, cheesy dusty dust.

8. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 3, 2020 :
    Nicely well-written reflection on the 7 Pro [e]1f44c[/e] In some regards, it may still be OnePlus's best phone even after the 8 series is released, at least in the US where the regular 7T Pro doesn't exist and that McLaren Edition is overpriced. I can't imagine using a phone with a hole in the screen feeling like an 'upgrade'. The uninterrupted display on the 7 Pro has spoiled me. I just wish they brought wireless charging with it because that is still my preferred way of topping off.

G_plusone and Cheetosdust like this.
  9. Cheetosdust

Hah, like I mentioned, my brother still has a OnePlus 5 and he's using it since launch day. But to me it was not a big departure from the OnePlus 3 and the 3T. The three devices I mentioned are, to me, the crucial pillars on the OnePlus history. Proud of myself for not writing a single joke about the OnePlus 5 uǝǝɹɔs. :rolleyes::p

Oh perhaps we do. Not going to name any names, just casually tagging @YRJ - not at all related to Ishan Agarwal and the leaks. Not. At. All.

Who, me? I'm such an angel, the pearly gates should be my regular coffee shop. :cool::innocent:

Aw man, thank you. Appreciate your words and the time reading it. You are the man. :cool:

Really? Did you really ask yourself why so many paragraphs? :D

TL;DR - The OnePlus 7 Pro is a very nice device even with its flaws and omissions. The OnePlus 8 is almost here. What is your experience with the 7 Series and how do you see the OnePlus 8 Series positioned against the 2019 devices? That's the gist of it. :rolleyes:;)

Oh man, thank you for taking the time to write your considerations, appreciate it. I still have a OnePlus 3, it was the first OnePlus device I used for a long period of time. And I still love it, so solid.

Thank you once again for writing it down and man, using a OnePlus 3 one day and the next day start using a OnePlus 7T must be a really, really nice change. :cool:

Hah, because are a talented photographer who explains the process like no one else. The only thing you are giving is a big plate full of croquetas. Pretty please. :D:p

I completely agree with you about the pop-up camera, especially since I don't use it at all, so I have all the screen I want. :cool:

From what I've read, the device is out for almost a year now and I don't think the motors failing is a problem. At least I never read they are breaking left and right.

I know you have the device for quite some time now, so it's interesting - and nice - to read the honeymoon phase was not, well, a phase. ;)

This is basically it. :D

I'm not saying it's the better display in any device, but it is the best display in any device I ever owned. And I notice it after using another screen for some time - for example, when reading on the iPad and then switching to do something on the OnePlus 7 Pro. :)

superplus, G_plusone, the_o2 and 5 others like this.
  10. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Apr 3, 2020 :
    Wow! Congratulations my friend @Cheetosdust for an expectacular thread! Really, the way you write makes all the difference and it is not for everyone. I hope one day I will be lucky to be able to read a review of yours on The Lab that would certainly be an incredible experience! About the challenge you launch, here is my experience: I had purchased the OnePlus 6T, it was my first oneplus, and I was completely satisfied with it. My wife destroyed her phone and we agreed that she would take mine and I would buy the new OnePlus 7. So I had to decide which one to buy and after considering the specifications i ended up buying the OnePlus 7T which is my daily driver (I admit that the choice of the oneplus 7T [e]1f19a[/e] oneplus 7T Pro was also financial, I will not hide it.) I can say that I noticed a huge difference in relation to the oneplus 6T, in the cameras, in the fingerprint reader, the screen ... Uiii on the screen ... The 90hz ... Just brutal! I agree with the experts after using it I can't go back! Regarding the design, what I was most afraid of was the cameras with the oreo format, but when I opened the box and saw the phone I was super excited because it proved to be much more beautiful live than in the photos I had seen. Overall I am very satisfied with the OnePlus 7T, which is certainly not a perfect phone but for me it is. Could you improve on some things? Yes of course! But for me it remains the best buy. About the question that you ask to switch to oneplus 8, it will hardly happen, because the reason that would make me change would be the 5G but unfortunately in Portugal it will not be available before 2021.

superplus, G_plusone and Cheetosdust like this.
  11. Cheetosdust

Many thanks for reading, your kinds words, and for writing such a thoughtful reply. :blush:

A agree with you about the “Oreo design”. I know a lot of people hate it, but it never bothered me that much while watching it in videos and looking at photos. In person, however, it’s even less “aggressive”.

I’m not saying it’s the best design choice ever, but I kind of think it actually gives the phone a trait of personality. It’s like when you look at the back of an iPhone 11 Pro and you know that’s an iPhone, the same can be said about the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.

And yeah, me being Portuguese, I’m not in a hurry to have a 5G-enabled device, because I know we’ll have to wait a little while for the infrastructure.

Thank you once again for writing your reply, really enjoyed reading it. :cool:

12. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Apr 3, 2020

YRJ , Apr 3, 2020 :
    This is a fun look back Cheetos!

Imo, the 7 Series marked OnePlus' entry into the ultra premium tier.
    Before the 7Pro OnePlus phones were mostly flagship killers, but the 7Pro was a true flagship. As you rightly point out, the display is the talking point of the phone and thanks to the 7Pro, 90Hz is now a norm, OEM's have realised the importance of a faster refresh rate and how it effects the overall user experience.

As much as I liked the 7Pro, the itch to upgrade was not strong enough for me to grab it.
    I could tell the 7Pro was a heavyweight from the very first time I got my hands on it. While it did feel premium, it got really uncomfortable to hold. As someone who uses his phone a lot, weight and comfort is a priority.

Secondly, the pop-up though a heavy lifter (as shown at launch) did not convince me enough. It was one part more to worry about, I wouldn't mind a notch.
    Which brings me to the next available option the OnePlus 7. As someone who already owned the 6T, it did not really make sense to upgrade to the OnePlus 7, which was basically a OnePlus 6T²

So where exactly does the 8 series stand?

Well, if the leaks are anything to go by, one thing is for sure, there are more options to choose from. A OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8Pro and a OnePlus 8Lite (maybe?)
    More options means a better chance of a potential buyer getting it.

The 8 Series might turn out to be a double edged sword. It is an upgrade and also a downgrade.
    For people who do not care about the punchhole, the lack of a moving part is a great plus, but for those who like a truly uninterrupted display and don't mind moving parts the addition of a punchhole is a setback.

It could go either ways, but I think that the new features and upgraded specs will outweigh the drawbacks. Moreover, OnePlus had been delivering great smartphones (as a complete package) and I predict a good response to the 8 Series too.

About the 7T..... (okay that has nothing to do with the thread and it's already TL;DR so meh)

Good Stuff, Cheetos ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020

13. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Apr 3, 2020

YRJ , Apr 3, 2020 :
    I'm discombobulated. :rolleyes:
    I am not even remotely related to this ^^, yet I find myself tagged here. I need a drink! (Coffee) :confused:

Cheetosdust and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  14. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Apr 4, 2020

Bouncer71 , Apr 4, 2020 :
    Brillant retrospect @Cheetosdust :eek:
    And a great read.. ! o_O

Couldn't have said it better...

Exactly... The Best...!! :cool::D

15. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Apr 4, 2020

Dresa91 , Apr 4, 2020 :
    great work:)
    good to read:) :)

16. ASCHENTE_V , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Apr 4, 2020 :
    the_o2

Looks like you missed the OnePlus 5 where the camera things started for OnePlus

No headphone Jack, No dongle in-box...

One of them chill here in WoHo

Don't lie we have a leaker here too

I wish I had one....

That is a true statement

Really loved reading this thread, I wish I also have the ability to explain my feelings in such an awesome words

7Pro was Great let's wait for the 8

But actually the one plus 5 main camera quality was worse than the 3T, and the oil painting effect was just terrific. However the front camera became better in the 5. Imho

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020

Bouncer71 and the_o2 like this.

18. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Apr 4, 2020

the_o2 , Apr 4, 2020 :
    But the box used to say " Dual Camera, Clearer Photos " ;);)

19. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2020

Bouncer71, Helder_DAlmeida and the_o2 like this.
  20. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 5, 2020