Looking for a flip case? Allow me to recommend you the Makemate

1. el2ic
    Donut Jan 10, 2015

el2ic , Jan 10, 2015 :
    No matter how careful you are, you're going to drop your phone at some point. And when you inevitably do, you're going to be glad if you bought a good (protective) case.

In my opinion, nothing beats a flip case in terms of protection and function. Don't trust your tempered glass screen protector to actually protect against anything else than scratches. Want your screen to actually survive an impact? Slap a sheet of leather over it. I'll grant you that it does make your phone significantly thicker, but the extra bulk also comes with extra functionality. Especially the phone stand is highly useful given the tablet-like proportions of the OPO.

Anyway, I bought the Makemate flip case and I'm so satisfied with it that I'm making a post here to recommend it to you. Let me summarize the two biggest reasons why I like this case:

+ I've had other "leather" cases in the past, which feel like plastic to the touch. This one is actually made from leather (or a mind-blowing imitation). The texture has a soft rubbery feel and offers a lot of grip. I can almost keep the phone vertically in my hand just by placing three fingers on the back.

+ Unlike some other flip cases, it has a magnet embedded in the flap. I will confirm that smart wake does work with this case, but not out of the box. The flap curves away slightly from the screen, so the magnet sensor doesn't pick up the motion unless you push the magnet towards it. I think this may fix itself after from weeks in my pocket, when the flap is flattened towards the screen. The magnet is also strong enough to keep the flap closed when upside down. When you fold the flap all the way back, the magnet will keep it in that position as well.

There are some minor negative points as well. The cutout for the front speaker is slightly misaligned (picture below). However, it does allow you to take pictures when the flap is folder back (another picture below). Also, the branding on the front is a bit tacky.

To summarize, I think it's a great case. It has a great feel, great style and great function. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Eric out.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      957.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      852.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      777 KB
      Views:

gusuraman likes this.
  2. t4ww4b
    Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2015

t4ww4b , Jan 10, 2015 :
    Crash, my friend of the youth, you're definitely right that a flip cover provides your phone good protection. However I find them too fancy for me and it makes the phone bulky. Nice review though...

sidlittlefield likes this.
  3. el2ic
    Donut Jan 11, 2015

el2ic , Jan 11, 2015 :
    Well, I can't really argue against your personal taste. A slimmer case is indeed more comfortable in your pocket, but I prefer to enjoy the ease of mind knowing that I can't really damage my (kind of expensive) phone.

Anyway, small update on the magnet closure. After one day in my pocket the flap has already flattened a bit, smart wake works about 1/3 of the time. Hopefully this will improve as time goes on.

4. mertin
    Froyo Feb 14, 2015

mertin , Feb 14, 2015 :
    Cool little review. I just ordered this on eBay and didn't know it had the smart wake/sleep function. Bonus! All I carry with me is ID and a debit card, so two slots is perfect.
    Have any updates about how its working after a month of use? Leather only gets better with age.

5. Dande-gr
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2015

Dande-gr , Feb 24, 2015 :
    I just received mine and smart wake/sleep function does not work. There are two magnets on top and bottom right section of the cover but probably not in the right spot to activate the wake/sleep function.
    I used just the top cover without the phone locked in the case to locate the right spot to enable wake/sleep function. Bottom magnet should be 1 cm higher than it's current potition.

Bad luck or is this common with these cases?

6. Deactivated User
    Feb 25, 2015

7. talluri
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2015