Network/Connectivity Losing mobile data and needs reboot to get it back for a while

1. Pahay
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2017

Pahay , Jun 11, 2017 :
    Hello,

Idem pour moi, perte de connexion en me déplaçant ou en désactivant le Wi-Fi... On dirait que le problème arrive chez SFR ?

One plus one
    Forfait RED 100go

2. ricky_68fr
    Cupcake Jun 12, 2017

ricky_68fr , Jun 12, 2017 :
    Same for me since 4 days with RED by SFR and OPX on OOS 3.1.4.
    It happened suddenly without installing an update.
    The data connection is lost while switching between two antennas, and only a reboot will enable it again.
    I have received an SMS from SFR telling me that they are working on an antenna nearby my house and that the network might have problems.
    Hope they will fix this problem soon.

3. ikaruga_hacknut
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2017

ikaruga_hacknut , Jun 20, 2017 :
    Hello everyone,

Same problem here with RED SFR 20 Go and OPX on OOS 3.1.4 since mid-June.
    It happens everytime I lose data connection (indoor, underground, train, ...), the phone is unable to reconnect data until I reboot... but voice/SMS works fine.
    In "developers options" (hidden menu), I forced "mobile data always on", it seems to work for the last 30 minutes even if I am currently in an area where the problem always happen these days.

I'll edit if this fix stops working.

edit : The problem happened again but it SEEMS to be less frequent

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

4. richy78i
    Cupcake Jul 31, 2017

richy78i , Jul 31, 2017 :
    Same issue with the same carrier, any news/fix?

5. iksrats
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2017

iksrats , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Same Issue for my wife's card from RED (SFR) this weekend.

No reliable solution yet ?

6. ikaruga_hacknut
    Cupcake Sep 11, 2017

7. Alwhipp
    Eclair Sep 13, 2017

Alwhipp , Sep 13, 2017 :
    Has anyone checked if the various phones support all the 4g radio bands the providers are using? Could be that French carrier for approval to roll out a radio band not supported by the OnePlus X. I know I get issues using my oneplus one on Australia because all the 4g providers rolled out bands not supported by my phone.
    I'm not sure it causes this problem, but I suspect so in my case.

8. ikaruga_hacknut
    Cupcake Sep 20, 2017

ikaruga_hacknut , Sep 20, 2017 :
    I doubt this explains our problem, the OnePlus X is compatible with all French radio bands, it works fine with other carrier.
    Moreover, 4G is working fine if I do not leave outdoor but I lose the signal everyday entering a subway station or entering the building I work in (where there is no data). When I leave the building or the subway station the signal does not come back until I restart the phone.

In addition to that, a previous guy encountered the same issue with a different French carrier ("Free") and the problem was solved when the carrier updated their antenna software.

9. Kéno40
    Jelly Bean Sep 20, 2017

Kéno40 , Sep 20, 2017 :
    True, but it wasn't an "OPX only" problem. did you search on Red forums?

10. Sammy Jankis
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2017

Sammy Jankis , Oct 27, 2017 :
    Hi .

I had/have the same issue as well . In Card 1 I have a UK O2 SIM . Card 2 has a Movistar Spain SIM . When using data on SIM2 in Spain I lost coverage (data and voice) several times over a 4 or 5 day period . When the phone returned to coverage the data connection didn't reconnect automatically . I haven't lost coverage here in the UK whilst on O2 yet , so I can't determine if it's happening here as well . I had to power off/on the phone each time . It happened to me about 4 or 5 times in Spain . Very annoying . I opened a support case with Oneplus , but they were very unhelpful . Maybe they should start to read their own forums ? It's definitely not a SIM/APN issue . I'm pretty sure it's an OS issue with the phone .

Sammy

11. vispi
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2017

vispi , Nov 14, 2017 :
    Hi,

Any further updates on this, anyone?

I have observed similar behaviour since January. Apart from from dropping data, it also doesn't allow me to connect to my calls or send/receive messages in a timely manner. Even after boot up, data connectivity only lasts for 2 mins.

I switched to an old Samsung Galaxy S3 and did not encounter these issues (was using that until yesterday). However, I dropped it, it broke and now I am back on a One Plus One, and it the behaviour has returned.

Solutions I have tried that have not worked include
    - Tried a new SIM.
    - Switched to a different mobile network.
    - Tried different APN settings.
    - I've changed from CyanogenMod OS to Lineage OS (may be a moot point as Lineage is a derivative of Cyanogen, and the bug may have carried through).
    - Going into testing mode by dialling *#*#4636#*#*. The only 'Preferred Network Type' that appears to consistently work is GSM only. This of course leaves me at 2.5G and not even 3G. :-(

I am thinking of putting on a completely different ROM on the phone, but running out of ideas after this....

12. adrian_vg
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2017

adrian_vg , Nov 30, 2017 :
    Will try that.
    Using the OPO with LineageOS 14.1 Nightly 2017-10-16 (Android 7.1.2).
    Operator; Vimla! which is a part of Telenor as I understand it.
    Seems to be a phone thing since so many operators are affected?

I've had this problem on and of ever since I bought the phone, a few years back.
    Have tried other custom roms, their updates etc, as well as stock images - same thing.
    Only thing common to the OS'es I've troed out have been that I've always rooted the device.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

13. kevin.leung
    Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

14. Sammy Jankis
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2017

Sammy Jankis , Dec 31, 2017 :
    Had the same problem again this weekend . Dual sims fitted . Lost network coverage on both SIMS and when I got back into coverage the data connection didn't reconnect . Had to power cycle the phone to get it back .

15. nrdonnelly
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2018

nrdonnelly , Jan 4, 2018 :
    Early days but encouraging so far...

I have been having this issue (OP3) and have found a significant improvement by unlocking the Developer Options and selecting 'mobile data always active' from the list.

It suggests this is to facilitate faster network switching, but so far, when leaving Wifi, I get 4G back almost instantly. With no reboot required. Saves me having to reboot the phone every night when I leave the Tube station to walk home!

16. T1551427885960
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

T1551427885960 , Jun 6, 2019 :
    I'm facing the same problem since two months on my OP5T. Mobile data started to turn off suddenly and became unreliable. At first, I could reboot the phone to activate mobile data again. After few weeks, rebooting the phone didn't helped anymore and the frequency of mobile data turning off increased. Setting "Mobile data always on" in Developer options didn't help. For a while, I was still able to turn it on after turning on 2g first and then switching to 4g. Now even that solution does not work anymore. I changed APN to see if i could resolve the problem, but it didn't help. Don't know what to do now.

17. G0-DVL
    Cupcake Sep 2, 2019

G0-DVL , Sep 2, 2019 :
    It happens randomly to me.
    When the phone is not able to connect to an antenna, it fails systematically to reconnect to any. I tried to connect manually to a mobile network but none is working.

The only thing that works is rebooting my One Plus Two.

I tried putting my sim card in another phone and it worked fine (a google Pixel 3, I didn't look in the Android version but I believe it was up to date).

My current Oxygen OS version is 3.6.1.

I believe it's something to do with Oxygen OS, but i'm not sure since my test are on a different hardware & OS.

18. Sammy Jankis
    Cupcake Nov 24, 2019

Sammy Jankis , Nov 24, 2019 :
    The fact that OnePlus made no attempt to resolve this technical glitch would put me off buying another OnePlus phone . It's a pity as I like the hardware .

19. K1578856315812
    Cupcake Oct 28, 2020

K1578856315812 , Oct 28, 2020 :
    If you're experiencing intermittent mobile data loss, meaning the cell bars are gone and you have no texting, calls, or internet ability other then wifi and if you bought the phone directly from Oneplus, you need to make sure that the sim card is 1. a VOLTE and 2. that the CDMA-LESS (assists in network provisioning) is activated by the carrier. Reach out to the carrier and this will fix it. Even if your cellphone started off working and weeks or a month later you begin to experience this issue, call the carrier and make sure the 1. and 2. are both true.

20. MidnightRaver
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2020

MidnightRaver , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Definitely a carrier issue. Switched operator/SIM yesterday and I'm ****** whenever I leave Wi-Fi range. Happened like thrice in 6 years with the previous carrier, now doesn't NOT happen.