Losing WiFi Calling

1. topstan Eclair Jun 7, 2019

topstan, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Ever since I got my OnePlus 7 Pro, I have had a problem where I lose WiFi Calling. I am on T-Mobile and used WiFi Calling on my previous OnePlus 5. I get no network signal at my house and have to use WiFi. I have it set up and it works, but a couple of times a day, WiFi calling just goes away. The WiFi is working and I have internet, but no WiFi Calling. The only thing I have found that will bring it back is a hard reset. If anyone has seen this problem and has a possible solution, I would love to hear it. I never saw this problem on the OnePlus 5.

D.o.E and LinusJian like this.
  2. U1511557334682 Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

U1511557334682, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Got the same issue with my 7 Pro. What do you mean with "hard reset"? If I toggle flightmode on and off the WiFi calling works again (for a short amount of time).

3. topstan Eclair Jun 22, 2019

topstan, Jun 22, 2019 :
    "Hard Reset" means you select Settings/System/Reset Options and then Erase all data (factory reset). If you have backed up your phone you can then restore it with your settings and apps. It's the most dramatic way to get back to where it was when you took it out of the box. However, for this problem it's a waste of time. You may notice some short term improvement, but the problem comes back. I have tried everything I can think of to work around the problem with no solution. Toggling Airplane Mode sometimes fixes it, but usually not. Rebooting the phone reliably fixes it for a few hours, but it doesn't last. I am seriously thinking of going back to my OnePlus 5 until they fix this problem. Right now it's like I have a much improved camera that comes with a not-very-reliable phone. Not good.

LinusJian likes this.
  4. LinusJian Eclair Jun 22, 2019

LinusJian, Jun 22, 2019 :
    Same issue here, Oneplus should fix this issue!

5. topstan Eclair Jun 23, 2019

topstan, Jun 23, 2019 :
    There are a couple of threads running on this problem. I just tried running in safe mode which does not run any 3rd party software along with a few Google apps as well. After a couple hours, the problem was back so it's not that.

As I said, I never had this problem with my OnePlus 5, so I have in fact gone back to using the 5. I used OnePlus Switch to clone all off my apps and settings over to the OnePlus 5 and it is also running the latest OxygenOS 9.0.6, so it should be pretty identical to the 7 Pro other than obvious hardware differences. It's running with wifi calling working so far, but it's too early to know for sure. This is Saturday. If I avoid the problem until Monday, I'll let you know. Obviously dropping back to 2-year old hardware can't be considered a fix, but it might indicate whether this is simply a software problem or a hardware/software problem.

LinusJian likes this.
  6. topstan Eclair Jun 25, 2019

topstan, Jun 25, 2019 :
    Well, it's 4pm PDT Monday and my OnePlus 5 has had no Wi-Fi Calling problem since I started using it on Saturday. So the problem seems to be specific to the OnePlus 7 Pro. I have gone back to the 7 Pro at the request of OnePlus Support so as to provide them with logs. Right now the 7 Pro is running Wi-Fi Calling just fine, but that is to be as expected when coming up from a cold start. I expect the problem will be back in an hour or two. A very vexing problem. If I had cell service where I live, I might not notice the problem, but I don't.

LinusJian likes this.
  7. LinusJian Eclair Jun 25, 2019

LinusJian, Jun 25, 2019 :
    Oneplus needs to know that this is a prevailing issue! I saw multiple threads on this issue.

8. topstan Eclair Jun 25, 2019

topstan, Jun 25, 2019 :
    OK, it's 8:15am Tuesday and the problem has come back. Interesting because it usually takes just a few hours. I think this may because I had my 7 Pro fully powered down and the sim pulled. Normally, I never turn off my phone... just put it on the charger. I also recall that I did not notice the problem immediately when I first got the phone. I wonder if the problem is rooted in the "adaptive" technology and the phone may be shutting down some service that is necessary to maintain wifi calling. I have all the battery saving switches turned off, but I know there is always a fight to preserve battery so perhaps some things don't fall under those switches. I think I will power down the phone before I restart it and see if I get another 20 hours or so before failure. That would be better than the usual 2-3.

From what I get from Tech Support, I think OnePlus is aware of the problem if not the solution and are working on it.

9. topstan Eclair Jun 25, 2019

topstan, Jun 25, 2019 :
    I got 5 hours, so maybe a power down is a little better than a restart.

10. D.o.E Gingerbread Jun 26, 2019

D.o.E, Jun 26, 2019 :
    I have the same thing in the mornings but my solution is to power off and on the device
    T-mo - Int 7 pro

11. LinusJian Eclair Jun 26, 2019

LinusJian, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Yes, restart helps, but anyway this issue is really annoying! Oneplus should fix this asap!

12. D.o.E Gingerbread Jun 26, 2019

D.o.E, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Yeah it would be nice

13. topstan Eclair Jun 29, 2019

topstan, Jun 29, 2019 :
    Just a bit of additional information: I have noticed that if wifi calling is active when I put the phone on the charger over night, it will be active when I get up. I checked my up-time this morning and it was 16 hours, which is a long time between failures. I am suspecting this problem is tied up in some way to power management. It may also have something to do with going outside of wifi range with your battery below a certain level. When you return to wifi range, the wifi returns, but the wifi calling doesn't. If developers monitor these threads, hopefully this information will help.

14. topstan Eclair Jul 4, 2019

topstan, Jul 4, 2019 :
    I no longer think this problem has anything to do with power management. It occurs regardless of the amount of charge on the battery. As long as you do not go out of wifi range and your wifi calling is active, you will not lose wifi calling. If you move away from the wifi signal and then return the wifi signal comes back, but about 90+% of the time the wifi calling does not. Sometimes you can jump-start wifi calling by toggling airplane mode but usually it requires a restart. Sure would like to see a fix for this.

15. Ashwek M Cupcake Jul 4, 2019

Ashwek M, Jul 4, 2019 :
    Hello sir. How do I post a thread. It says I don't have permission to do....

16. topstan Eclair Jul 4, 2019

topstan, Jul 4, 2019 :
    I'm not sure I can help much as I am pretty new here as well. I never had a problem posting a new thread. You might check your email to see if you got a verification email after you signed up. You normally have to respond to that email before you get full access to post. You obviously have an account and user name and you were able to post to my thread. If you still have problems, you might look for a post by a staff member and ask them Cupcakes and Donuts are the new guys.

17. Ashwek M Cupcake Jul 4, 2019

Ashwek M, Jul 4, 2019 :
    Thank you, sir. Thanks for responding. How do I know if it's a staff member's post...?

18. topstan Eclair Jul 4, 2019

topstan, Jul 4, 2019 :
    It will be under their name on the post. Like, under your name it says Cupcake and mine says Donut. There maybe a place on the forum that offers help with the forum itself, but I don't see it. There is a phone number for support at the bottom of the page, but mine is in the USA and that might be a problem for you. Also, phone tech support is rarely much fun.

Ashwek M likes this.
  19. Ashwek M Cupcake Jul 4, 2019

Ashwek M, Jul 4, 2019 :
    So if it's a staff member's post, it says staff member under their name...?

20. topstan Eclair Jul 4, 2019

topstan, Jul 4, 2019 :
    Yes, it should be. If you have a problem finding a staff member, you might try asking someone with a label other than Cupcake or Donut as they will have been on the forum longer. Anyone with a title that's the same as a recent version of Android (Marshmallow or KitKat for example) will have been around for quite a while and might be able to help.