Low quality video sent in whatsapp

1. BClements1993
    Donut Nov 30, 2019

BClements1993 , Nov 30, 2019 :
    Just got OnePlus 7 Pro, takes great videos but when I send them to someone on WhatsApp they receive awful quality videos. I know WhatsApp compresses them but it shouldn't be so much that the quality is that bad? Only workaround I have found is send it as a document so it gets sent full quality.

OhadGfn likes this.
  2. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Nov 30, 2019

Horsault , Nov 30, 2019 :
    As compression is done by WhatsApp, of course OnePlus have no hand on it.

TheJuli and Artemus. like this.
  3. BClements1993
    Donut Nov 30, 2019

BClements1993 , Nov 30, 2019 :
    And yet I wasn't having this issue with my op3t

4. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Nov 30, 2019

TheJuli, Artemus. and BClements1993 like this.
  5. OhadGfn
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2019

OhadGfn , Dec 5, 2019 :
    I´m also having the same issue with my 7t.

It sends Whatsapp videos in a really poor quality, way way worse than my old LG g6.

Something is not working good with the compression.
    I don´t want to send the original files, i want it compressed, but in a good way, this should be addressed by OnePlus.

thanks.

BClements1993 likes this.
  6. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Dec 5, 2019

Horsault , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Read my 1st message above.
    OnePlus plays no part in WhatsApp compression.
    And WhatsApp is more and more buggy. Today I can't even share a photo any longer.

TheJuli, Artemus. and BClements1993 like this.
  7. mlulic
    Honeycomb Dec 6, 2019

mlulic , Dec 6, 2019 :
    Confirmed. WhatsApp does the compression, just like Viber and Facebook.

TheJuli and BClements1993 like this.
  8. BClements1993
    Donut Dec 24, 2019

BClements1993 , Dec 24, 2019 :
    I guess best workaround for now is send as a document then! Thanks guys, fingers crossed WhatsApp catch-up with phone technology soon!!

9. kochan10
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

kochan10 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Of course it has a lot to do with OnePlus. People who claim it's entirely on WhatsApp have clearly never used any other handsets. I used to share hq videos on my various flagships devices like HTC, iPhone, Huawei via WhatsApp. I have never had to deal with such horrible compression like on 7 pro. All videos there were slimmed obviously but they still looked ok. In case of OnePlus 7 pro I send eg 480 mb video and output file weighs 2,5 mb - Pixelated blury and jerky. Unacceptable. No it cannot be entirely whatsapp fault, most likely combination of two.
    (Sure, you can easily compress 500 mb 4k video into 80 mb file, it's still pretty decent quality, and send it as a document but it takes noticeably longer and it kills all the fun)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020

Mario Bros likes this.
  10. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Apr 24, 2020

Horsault , Apr 24, 2020 :
    The point is, older phones didn't have 48MPx camera.
    Compressing 16MPx image or 48MPx image to same size can't be done with same quality.
    Furthermore, WhatsApp uses its own algorithms and not OnePlus'.

11. kochan10
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2020

kochan10 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Horsault

The point is, older phones didn't have 48MPx camera.
    Compressing 16MPx image or 48MPx image to same size can't be done with same quality.
    Furthermore, WhatsApp uses its own algorithms and not OnePlus'.

First of all i didn' mean older phones, where did you get it? other flagships with comparable number of mpix don't have such issues either. P30 pro doesn't have this problem, even p20 pro with its 40 mpix (not big difference in sensor size if you ask me) and much slower CPU/GPU compresses shared videos just fine. output video files looked incomparably better than those sent with 7 pro. For some reason this only seems to be an issue on 7 pro (haven't tested it on other OnePlus handsets).

Problem occurs even when you share videos that have been taken with other smartphones. It has nothing to do with number of mpix, (and with all due respect you don't know which algorithms exactly are used here.) It doesn't matter what quality of videos you try to push - 4k/1080p/720p 60/30. All of them are converted to YT like thumbnails. Clearly there's lack of optimization between Oxygen os and Whatsapp, maybe even some incompatibility issue. I am not saying whatsapp is without blame here, oh no. However claiming that it's due to larger sensor (when smartphones with comparable and bigger sensors are doing just fine) is oversimplification and just not true. EOT

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

Mario Bros and dcc.a80 like this.
  12. dcc.a80
    Cupcake May 9, 2020

dcc.a80 , May 9, 2020 :
    I have the same problem on my OP7T. Older or newer phones, they can send videos through whatsapp with an acceptable compression. Someone knows if on OP8 has this poor quality too on whatsapp? I hope One plus can fix that quickly

13. Mario Bros
    Eclair Jun 10, 2020

Mario Bros , Jun 10, 2020 :
    Same effing problem since I bought the 7 PRO, and it's been almost 1 year, and no change. Not only whatsapp, it occurs with almost all video sharing platforms, facebook videos, Messenger story/days. Instagram stories are still workable. But fb video stories sent from my oneplus 7 pro is total crap. Hasn't been there any workaround in all these years for this problem?

14. G_Haroldas_Bendziunas_Gt
    Cupcake Aug 2, 2020

G_Haroldas_Bendziunas_Gt , Aug 2, 2020 :
    OnePlus 8 Pro same problem
    Video sent via Viber is nice and crisp I can barely tell the difference between original and the Viber compressed but WhatsApp looks so crap you can't recognise people in the Video

15. Horsault
    Nougat Moderator Aug 2, 2020

Horsault , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 2, 2020 :
    TY, this is proof it's a WhatsApp problem.

16. TheJuli
    Froyo Aug 2, 2020

TheJuli , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 2, 2020 :
    First of all NEVER use the built in whatsapp video recorder. Doesn't matter what android phone you have, the video will look like [e]1f4a9[/e]. Use your phone's camera.

Second, if the video is taken using the phones camera whatsapp is trying to compress a video which might have a very high bitrate, as the new oneplus phones have a nice and strong chipset to do that, and by doing a compression on a high bitrate file, the file *has to look bad no matter what*. Its the reason while old phones with somewhat the same sensor size, looked ok, but the 7 or 8 ones look bad. Its not about sensor size, its about the bitrate beeing cut down significantly to meet the filesize requirements.

Its whatsapps fault, not OnePlus. Its a general theme in these forums for people to come and argue about problems that are not of the phone in the first place. The other problem is that no matter how you explain it to them, some are still conviced its the phones fault. Please do your research beforehand!

Artemus. likes this.