Mac address changes

1. Thephoneofphones Jelly Bean Aug 20, 2014

Thephoneofphones, Aug 20, 2014 :
    The problem seems to have been identified but no one seems to know why it happens and to only a very small number of devices. I am completely stock too.

marcelosobral likes this.
  2. drmartin Lollipop Moderator Aug 20, 2014

Aaahh likes this.
  3. drmartin Lollipop Moderator Aug 20, 2014

drmartin, Aug 20, 2014 :
    I'm surprised if it's not intended, since it seems to be the way everything is going for privacy and security, but if it is enabled for those reasons you should be able to disable that for purposes of corporate networks, etc... :)

4. TheNoobGamer Gingerbread Aug 20, 2014

5. Thephoneofphones Jelly Bean Aug 20, 2014

Yeah but once you read all the linked threads it really is a bug. Maybe for Edward Snowden this would be cool. For me its a PITA.

6. ramibb Gingerbread Aug 20, 2014

ramibb, Aug 20, 2014 :
    is it possible to configure a static mac address ? like this you can use your hardware address and keep you IP

7. Thephoneofphones Jelly Bean Aug 20, 2014

From the cyanogen forums...

Pekkanmj, HD2kitkat and PLPeeters like this.
  8. HD2kitkat Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2014

HD2kitkat, Aug 20, 2014 :
    MAC addresses have historically always been static. Wikipedia says:
    A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment.

Changing the MAC address is a technique sometimes used by hackers to impersonate another device or to avoid being identified by MAC address.

However, automagically changing the MAC address on reboot will inevitably lead to collisions where more than one device have the same address, thus defeating the uniqueness of the MAC. #abad1dea

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

Thephoneofphones likes this.
  9. saycure Eclair Aug 20, 2014

saycure, Aug 20, 2014 :
    I would agree even more especially that one of the mac was ending 88:88:88 which made me wondered if it was that 'random' ie increase the chances of collision. I'll do more digging this evening about this.

10. saycure Eclair Aug 20, 2014

11. ExTanvy Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2014

12. saycure Eclair Aug 20, 2014

13. scall Froyo Aug 22, 2014

scall, Aug 22, 2014 :
    I think there are two issues here:

1> Mac Address randomization - this is a newish feature that changes the mac address as it searches for SSIDs. This allows you to use Wifi based locaton services/etc without leaving a MAC trail behind. When you connect to a known SSID, it should be the real MAC of the phone
    2> Bootloader failing to set MAC address - this is the random change at boot and is a symptom of a broken or corrupted params partition.

The #1 issue isn't really an issue since if it's in effect it won't affect connections to Wifi, just scanning for SSIDs.
    #2 is an issue and needs to be addressed.

Thanks

HD2kitkat likes this.
  14. givemeyoursoul KitKat Aug 22, 2014

givemeyoursoul, Aug 22, 2014 :
    sweet! This will make it much harder for my work to figure out who is abusing their wireless! How do I get this "bug"?

15. HD2kitkat Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 22, 2014

HD2kitkat, Aug 22, 2014 :
    #1 probably won't need to reveal any MAC address. If it only needs to listen for SSID broadcasts, it might as well keep radio silence. It will, however, need some other internet connection to look up where the currently visible wifis are in the world, and this connection is trackable by ppl in power. GPS, on the other hand, is receive only - thus leaving no trail.

16. Aaahh Marshmallow Aug 31, 2014

17. Aaahh Marshmallow Aug 31, 2014

Aaahh, Aug 31, 2014 :
    NYAN!!!

Zero likes this.
  18. Aaahh Marshmallow Aug 31, 2014

Aaahh, Aug 31, 2014 :
    The reason why you get a different MAC address every reboot is because the bootloader isn't providing the phone's real MAC to the kernel, so the kernel chooses a random one as a fallback. The reason why the bootloader isn't passing a MAC to the kernel is because it's missing from the phone's param partition, where the bootloader expects to read it from. The reason why the MAC is missing from the param partition is… I don't know. That part's still a mystery. But if you have a rooted phone and a hex editor, you can put the MAC address into the param partition where it belongs, which resolves the problem.
    I'm going to do it! haha thats amazing

19. timmaaa Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 31, 2014

timmaaa, Aug 31, 2014 :
    It isn't a bug. It was explained to you earlier. Just because nobody here knows why/how doesn't make it a bug. 99% of the people in this forum don't even know what a Mac address is.

20. darklajid Donut Sep 1, 2014

darklajid, Sep 1, 2014 :
    Please don't use 'hackers' like that. Changing your MAC address is perfectly fine in various situations and is nothing bad. Plus, 'hackers' in the black-hat-impersonation-bad-guy-on-the-internet™ sense is .. annoying.

No. MAC addresses are only used on the link layer (see your wikipedia quote). It never leaves your local network. It's not like you're using that on the internet, you don't have to compete with the world for a unique MAC. The only things that ever needs/sees your MAC are connected to the same router/network segment etc.. (your phone, your laptop, your wife's phone, the router).

The chance for a collision is therefor extremely low (you can do the math, I'm lazy), due to
    - the limited number of devices on any given local network
    - the number of possible MAC addresses to generate

(Plus 'real' MAC addresses aren't randomly distributed: The first part usually identifies the vendor. Depending on the algorithm to create random MACs in the kernel on boot, collisions with 'known' namespaces/prefixes might already be impossible. Say by "Let's not impersonate atheros chips, shall we" etc. But .. I wouldn't know about that)