Made for Night Owls: Optimizing your Experience on the OnePlus 7T

1. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 27, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Nov 27, 2019 :

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! We are Abhishek and Kenny (@KeBlam), two OnePlus US Brand Ambassadors from the Bay Area back again to discuss about the night-time / low-light usability of the OnePlus 7T.

OxygenOS on the OnePlus 7T comes bundled with several features to ensure that your experience using the phone at night is pleasant. Some of our favorite features that we are going to talk about today are the TÜV Rheinland Certification, Night Mode, Reading Mode, Dark Theme, and also Nightscape. Although Nightscape is not something that makes your screen more usable at night, we still want to talk about it as it helps capture amazing photos at night and makes the overall smartphone experience much better. In short, night time and low-light is not at all an issue for the OnePlus 7T and here are some reasons why! So let’s get started.

TÜV Rheinland Eye Comfort Certification (Hardware)
    Prolonged exposure to blue light emitted from screens and displays can be harmful to the human eye, and thus it is important to limit the blue light exposure. This is especially true during night times and low light conditions as that is when the blues can cause the maximum damage. OnePlus, going by their mantra to Never Settle, has ensured that its customers experience minimal ill effects of blue light. Thus, the OnePlus 7T is using the new generation AMOLED displays, which has been awarded the TÜV Eye Comfort Certification based on its ability to drastically reduce the harmful effects of blue light. The phone’s new “internal luminescent material” blocks 40% of blue light projection to reduce eye strain at night.

For those who might not be aware, TÜV Rheinland is the leading and the most competent provider of product testing and certifications for the worldwide marketplace. Currently, only a small set of smartphones using certain Samsung display panels qualify for the certification, and we are proud of the fact that the OnePlus 7T is one such smartphone!

Night Mode (Software)
    Now that we know that OnePlus 7T has a solid hardware tech used in its display panel to minimize the effects of blue light, how cool would it be to couple that with software optimizations to maximize the convenience of using the phone at night! One such software optimization is the Night Mode.

OxygenOS' Night Mode is an amazing software implementation to reduce to aid the use of phone at night. To access the Night Mode settings, go to Settings -> Display -> Night Mode. Here you can see options to toggle night mode on and off automatically along with temperature and light settings. We would recommend to turn on night mode automatically based on either sunset/sunrise times or by a custom range. Doing so will trigger night mode on automatically for you according to your settings, and will turn it off in the morning.

The 'Color Temperature' slider is used to adjust the warmness of display. The warmer the display is, the more yellowish (and less blue) it appears making it more comfortable for the eye. But that does not mean to keep it to warmest. We would recommend you to play around with settings to see what looks most pleasing to your eye. In addition, it is also proven that blue light has detrimental effects on your sleep so props to OnePlus for caring about our sleep schedules!

Similarly, 'Lightness' is like a layer of brightness over the normal brightness of the display. Having it more dark would reduce the strain on the eye, but again you should play around with the settings to understand your personal preference.

However, if you are having a difficult time figuring out a sweet spot, below are the settings that both of us use. You could use these settings and values as a starting point.

Reading Mode (Software)
    Another super cool software feature bundled within OxygenOS is the Reading Mode. Although smartphones are not eBook readers by design, OnePlus has ensured that it is the closest to one. With reading mode, you can enjoy the reading experience on your smartphone similar to how you typically would on an eBook reader. To access it, go to Settings -> Display -> Reading Mode. OnePlus 7T offers two effects within the reading mode, Mono and Chromatic. Mono is entirely black and white, whereas Chromatic retains some hues of the colors. Generally, Mono effect gives is more suited when reading only textual content, but if the content has other components such as images, icons, or anything else, the Chromatic effect offers a more comfortable experience. And to make things easy for you, OnePlus allows to select apps where you would always want reading mode to be enabled by default. Now that is super cool!

Dark Theme (Software)
    Next up is another super awesome feature that’s also embedded into OxygenOS - Dark Theme. In this current day and age, we, as consumers, are constantly on our screens; whether it be a laptop or TV or even your phone, we’re constantly looking at screens. And one way OnePlus is adhering to their #NeverSettle theme is to incorporate a Dark Theme throughout OxygenOS! To access this, go to Settings -> Customization -> Tone. You can choose from a Dark, Light, or Colorful Theme. Under Customization, you’re able to change things ranging from accent colors and shapes, to even icon packs and clock styles!

Apart from reducing strain on your eye, another awesome perk about Dark Theme is that it also consumes lesser battery on AMOLED displays. Many apps and companies are putting efforts to make a dark version of their products. But one additional tip is that if you have activated Developer Options, you can force override dark mode on tons of apps that do not have native dark theme support! However, we do not recommend this since it might break some apps (this feature is primarily built for developers to test their apps). Yet, it’s worth giving it a shot - it might just work well for you.

Now that we know about the significant OxygenOS software optimizations for low-light conditions, below are three GIFs showing how you can activate them on your smartphone (in order - Night Mode, Reading Mode, Dark Theme)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nightscape (Camera)
    Released in 2018 with the OnePlus 6T, Nightscape is an awesome feature that allows you to take beautiful pictures in the night! Yes, this doesn’t modify the screen like the rest of the software features that we’ve mentioned, but is still worthy of your attention as it captures beautiful memories. Nightscape increases the exposure time and allows for a brighter picture despite being very dark. To access this feature, open the native Camera app and swipe left to access Nightscape. Nightscape allows you to paint beautiful pictures of the skies with a simple click!

Share Your Thoughts
    Now that we’ve shown you a few ways to be a better smartphone night owl, let us know how you are able to become one, and which of the above listed feature is your favorite. Also, if you know about other tips and tricks that aid the usage of your phone at night / low light conditions, then please feel free to share that with the community. We would love to hear your thoughts!

#NeverSetlle

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019

2. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Nov 27, 2019

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019

3. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

Tax_Mny , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 27, 2019 :
    I found a typo. You mean "dark theme" does NOT consume much battery.

BTW I love using all of these features. I'm glad that the OnePlus One gets real dim at night. some phones I've played with did not get this dim.
    1574898495776.jpg

Starcommander and AbhishekS287 like this.
  4. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 27, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Nov 27, 2019 :
    Oh yes, thanks for pointing that out.
    Yes, we all love using those features and love how dim the screen can get. :D

Kaito_kid, Starcommander and Tax_Mny like this.
  5. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2019

Tax_Mny , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 27, 2019 :
    AbhishekS287

Oh yes, thanks for pointing that out.
    Yes, we all love using those features and love how dim the screen can get.

You're welcome. The one gripe I have is how loud the earpiece speaker is when on a phone call. Can you relay the message to your team to turn down the volume a little?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019

6. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2019

7. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 28, 2019

MosheG1 likes this.
  8. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2019

9. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Nov 28, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Could you post that as a suggestion at https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/ ? I am sure that should be the right place to get the maximum visibility on your request. :)

Bluecat08 and Starcommander like this.
  10. kKoI1233
    Gingerbread Nov 30, 2019

kKoI1233 , Nov 30, 2019 :
    This phone is much better than my OP5 in the night usage department, love it

What i like less is uneven tints, reproducible in uneven OLED pattern testing.

Manishrs likes this.
  11. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 1, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Dec 1, 2019 :
    20191201_192141.jpg
    Maybe the hardware is good but you can't get this result on oxygenos

What I mean is:
    Great hardware but the software doesn't utilitise the hardware fully

Some may say the red looks bad but that's just the camera and since this thing is in hardware taking a screenshot isn't something that can show how it works but it looks great and I can't stress enough on how comfortable this is especially during the night

How did I achieve that?
    First of all cutting off blue and green channels is going to make the display ugly so that's not something we want to do first
    First use reading mode to convert each color into a shade of gray
    Cut off the blue and green channels

And the biggest thing? This stuff doesn't even need root. Most custom ROMs allow you to set this from settings without ever needing root
    Since blue light is reduced by 90% you will have little problem falling asleep as well

Unfortunately:
    Oxygenos does not allow me to go beyond amber
    Oxygenos does not allow me to mix reading mode with night mode

I'm not even arguing the display is bad. It's one of the best I've seen but the software that comes stock on the phone hardly uses it to it's fullest extent

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019

kKoI1233 likes this.
  12. Manishrs
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2019

Manishrs , Dec 2, 2019 :
    Everything is perfect until you open an app with grey background and you notice that greenish-reddish tint... Even white background is being affected in my unit right now, especially at around 40% brightness...

13. Y1537540350852
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2019

Y1537540350852 , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 2, 2019 :
    make a setting for scheduled airplane mode like it's there for night mode .. sometimes while in hurry I forget to put phone on silent while in classes . if I can schedule this for specific time for daily basis it will help a lot ...

14. Karan.Padhi
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2019

MelvinAbes likes this.
  15. AnasKhanAzmi007
    Eclair Dec 2, 2019

16. aritra10 , via OnePlus 6T Mirror Black , Dec 2, 2019 :
    OnePlus 6T ka android 10 kab dega bhai pagal hogaye. itna bekar team bitha rakha hai. udhar OnePlus 7 team updates pe updates nikal rahe hai aur tum log kya jar rahe ho. ya phir 6t k team ko 7t me shift kar diya. Jaldi laa bhai android 10 6T k liye pagal hogaye katae. please hurry up manu please. do it man . i am very much frustrated and so

Ravinder92177 likes this.

MosheG1 likes this.