[MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT] - Daydream VR fully running on OP3 - OxygenOS

?

Are you going to run Daydream on your OP3?

1. Hell yeah!

212 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Nope.

49 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Not rooted :(

108 vote(s)
    27.4%
  4. Afraid device will explode on my face and make me blind.

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. filipe.aparicio
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 15, 2016

filipe.aparicio , Dec 15, 2016 :
    Dear friends, after much struggle and deep web searching, I have finally been able to fully run Daydream on the OnePlus 3. It opens without any issues and loads smoothly. The setup is so simple for someone with a rooted device (literally takes 30 secs or less), that OnePlus could easily add this on their next software update.

No need for complicated hacks, all you need is to add 2 lines of code on a system's XML file.

Here is video proof:

(I was so hyped I didn't even try to make a proper video, so sorry for the sloppy video! :p)

If you want to try it out, just follow the steps on this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5hno6u/got_daydream_to_work_on_my_5x_might_work_on_other/

It's only been tested out on the Nexus 5X, but I decided to give it a shot on the OP3.

Props to CharaNalaar on Reddit for putting this together.

Super happy to be one of the first people successfully running Daydream on a OP3. Let's see if we can get OnePlus to take a look here and officially implement it on a future OS release.

Hope you enjoy it, and spread the word!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • OnePlus 3 (not 3T!)
    • Root
    • Beta 9 or other 7.0 ROM (Attention, I have not tested other ROMS such as AOSP based, CM14.1, etc. A user has pointed out that on Beta 8, the OxygenOS launcher crashes.)
    • A file explorer with Root access (I suggest Root Browser)
    • A phone with gyroscope to use as an emulated controller (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Step 1
    . Using your file explorer, navigate and open the following file:
    /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

Step 2.
    Add in the following lines right before the </permissions> closing tag at the end:
    <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />
    Step 3. Reboot your device.

Step 4. Download Daydream VR, Google VR services and Daydream Keyboard from Google Play store. In case they don't appear for you, download them first from APKmirror, and Google Play store should then detect your device as being Daydream compatible.

Step 5. In case you have a Daydream View headset, you're all set. Enjoy! For the rest of you, keep going.

Step 6. You'll need a controller to use Daydream, so grab your secondary device, and follow these steps: https://developers.google.com/vr/daydream/controller-emulator

Step 7. Enable developer options within Daydream (by going into the app settings and hitting Build version multiple times until the option become available)

Step 8. Once inside the developer options, make sure you have "Skip VR entry screens" turned on, and select your paired device under "Controller emulator device".

Step 9. That's it! Enjoy your fully compatible Daydream OnePlus 3 ;)

-

UPDATE: Got the controller to work using the emulator on a Moto G Falcon. Will ne testing some apps later :)

UPDATE 2:
    So I had to ditch the Moto G and use an LG G4 as the controller instead. Since the Moto G doesn't have a gyroscope, I wasn't able to point anywhere. With the LG G4, everything works smoothly :)

After almost 45mins of playing around with Daydream (watching the solar system, playing fetch with an arctic fox, and throwing coconuts at a boat), the device got a bit warm but nothing out of ordinary like people have pointed out with the Pixel. The OnePlus 3 handles Daydream like a champ, and the head response is flawless. Didn't experience any lag until now, but will try some more apps to see how it performs.

The only thing that seems a bit odd, is that the Daydream app is apparently not able to use my wi-fi connection to reach the app store. I'll probably have to manually download the apps for now, but will explore this further to see if there's a fix.

Other than that, Daydream is running flawlessly :)

UPDATE 3: After restarting the device, all Daydream apps on the Google Play store show up as compatible for the OnePlus 3, so no need to download from mirror websites! Even the Daydream VR app and VR services update automatically via GooglePlay. Here are some screenshots of Daydream apps showing up as compatible:

Screenshot_20161216-003055.png Screenshot_20161216-002954.png Screenshot_20161216-003115.png

UPDATE 4: So I just found out that the connectivity issue is not with Daydream, but actually a region lock from Google. Since I'm in Portugal, I can't access the Playstore from within Daydream, but I can download the apps easily from the Google Play app.

If you are in a country like the UK, US or Germany, the regional lock will most likely not be present.
    Besides this, everything else is working just fine :)

Will post instructions on how to enable Daydream VR on your OnePlus 3 soon™.

UPDATE 5: Added instructions to the thread.

UPDATE 6: Included link to Google's instructions on how to emulate the controller.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

2. CesarOPO
    Eclair Dec 15, 2016

CesarOPO , Dec 15, 2016 :
    That's really good.. Good find! I don't have VR goggles but surely someone on the forum will make good use of this [e]1f44d[/e]

Question: Which launcher are you using? I would like to have badge notification on icons as you have on the video...

3. filipe.aparicio

I'm using Nova Prime with Tesla Unread. Has been my setup for the last 3 years now.

i6rb, Mohityadav7, Pinke and 2 others like this.
  4. filipe.aparicio

UPDATE: Got the controller to work using the emulator on a Moto G Falcon. Will ne testing some apps later :)

Salt505 likes this.
  5. filipe.aparicio

UPDATE 2: So I had to ditch the Moto G and use an LG G4 as the controller instead. Since the Moto G doesn't have a gyroscope, I wasn't able to point anywhere. With the LG G4, everything works smoothly :)

After almost 45mins of playing around with Daydream (watching the solar system, playing fetch with an arctic fox, and throwing coconuts at a boat), the device got a bit warm but nothing out of ordinary like people have pointed out with the Pixel. The OnePlus 3 handles Daydream like a champ, and the head response is flawless. Didn't experience any lag until now, but will try some more apps to see how it performs.

The only thing that seems a bit odd, is that the Daydream app is apparently not able to use my wi-fi connection to reach the app store. I'll probably have to manually download the apps for now, but will explore this further to see if there's a fix.

Other than that, Daydream is running flawlessly :)

stephenboyo and SimonRam like this.
  6. SimonRam
    Lollipop Dec 15, 2016

SimonRam , Dec 15, 2016 :
    Nice one, well done mate.

Sun90, biomulv and filipe.aparicio like this.
  7. aris
    Jelly Bean Dec 16, 2016

filipe.aparicio likes this.
  8. filipe.aparicio
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 16, 2016

filipe.aparicio , Dec 16, 2016 :
    Now after seeing now easy it is to get Daydream running here, I truly hope OnePlus will consider getting the 3 & 3T certified. It's literally a matter of adding 2 lines of code to a system file.

For the last weeks I've been trying hard to prove how this phone can handle it without issues, despite many thinking otherwise. Now that's it's finally proven, just want to see if this can reach someone at OnePlus.

Either way, I'm happy to have Daydream with or without official support.

9. filipe.aparicio

UPDATE 3: After restarting the device, all Daydream apps on the Google Play store show up as compatible for the OnePlus 3, so no need to download from mirror websites! Even the Daydream VR app and VR services update automatically via GooglePlay. Here are some screenshots of Daydream apps showing up as compatible:

Screenshot_20161216-003055.png Screenshot_20161216-002954.png Screenshot_20161216-003115.png

SimonRam likes this.
  10. mj_diamond
    Gingerbread Dec 16, 2016

mj_diamond , Dec 16, 2016 :
    F*cking AWESOME man!! thank you for sharing this!!

I don't wanna flash beta 9 to try it, i don't have a backup phone in case it goes wrong, but once we get OTA i'll be on it!

Now.. let's get a headset

11. F_Erick_Muñoz_ngch
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2016

12. filipe.aparicio

First you need to be rooted. Then, all you need is a file exlorer.
    Go to this file: /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

And add in the following lines at the end, right before </permissions>:

<feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />

Reboot your device and that's it!
    You should be able to access Daydream VR from within the Playstore. If not, just download the latest version from APKmirror and use that instead. Afterwards, you should be able to update it from the Playstore without any issues.

Also, you need the latest Google VR Services (available in the Playstore or APKmirror)

As for the remote, you can use another phone, but it needs to have a gyroscope. Just search Google for "Daydream controller emulator" and follow the instructions on their official website.

Have fun, and let me know if it worked for you! :)

F_Erick_Muñoz_ngch likes this.
  13. filipe.aparicio

I'm trying to see if I can get a hold of a dev on OnePlus to share this with. All they need to do is add 2 lines of code on the system permissions file.

That way we could all enjoy Daydream on a future OTA without needing to resort to rooting :)

As for the headset, I've already ordered one. Will share more updates once it arrives. ;)

sholiday and ChinChinati like this.
  14. Auristic
    Lollipop Dec 16, 2016

Auristic , Dec 16, 2016 :
    This is truely a major announcement... NOT ! ;)

Cheer up "bro" you can still carry on whining about Nougat until it's out yet I wonder what you'll whine about afterwards...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

15. filipe.aparicio

? Sorry, but wrong thread? No one is whining here :/ Are you sure your username shouldn't be "Autistic" instead of Auristic?

16. NeoMeir
    Eclair Dec 16, 2016

17. filipe.aparicio

I wish we could! They don't need to change anything from a software perspective. At the beginning I thought that the Vulkan driver would be outdated, but apparently not.

If we could get this to someone at OnePlus, maybe they would be willing to consider it.

Jonny109 and NeoMeir like this.
  18. filipe.aparicio

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist. I just had to quote yourself:
    "Tell me Cupcake, did you really THINK before posting that on this thread?"

Just perfect haha

Irtazafaheem, crysen and NeoMeir like this.
  19. kalander Shihab

Jonny109 likes this.
  20. filipe.aparicio

Agreed!
    They need to get Google's certification to make it official though. The process shouldn't be complicated though as the OP3 covers all the hardware requirements for Daydream. I already wrote a long thread just on this.

The only thing left is for OnePlus to take some initiative.

Jonny109, sholiday and Dave_Schmied like this.