Network/Connectivity Major Carriers Updating Network to HD voice (VoLTE) renders some OnePlus phones useless

1. charris2587
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2021

charris2587 , Jul 23, 2021 :
    I have a OnePlus 7 pro originally from T-mobile. (GM1915). I have recently unlocked my device switched networks, However now that many Carriers are now moving their network to entirely HD voice my phone will no longer work with AT&T. If I had known this I would have never purchased my phone from T-mobile. What are the technical differences between the T-mobile (GM1915) and the Unlocked version of the OnePlus 7 pro (GM1917)? Why is one supported and not the other? I like my phone and that it doesn't have any bezels or punch hole for the camera, Does anyone know of any options to keep my phone or do I have to buy a GM1917 or a different device?

BugsBugsEverywhere likes this.
  2. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 23, 2021

Jimbo the Great , Jul 23, 2021 :
    It's a mess. AT&T has created a list of phones that will work on their network after they kill 3G.
    The list is here.
    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Note... they will still support the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from 2014 but not the Nord 1.
    They do not want to support phones by other carriers or international/world phones.

This will certainly cause problem for them...

They do not support the OnePlus 6... but they support the 6T... when I asked why (Because the 6 is an LTE capable phone that can use VoLTE) They just talked around the issue and said that it wasn't on the list because it didn't support all the bands... (6T supports 13 and 14 which the 6 does not.) But I think this was just a lie to tell people that they didn't buy the phone from them and therefore...
    Buy a phone from them.

Ironically, they are giving me a free iPhone SE that I don't want because my Oneplus 6 isn't supported.
    (Which I will not use.)

I just bought a Nord N10 5G and I'll sell the iPhone and break even - then I can look for another phone.
    Note: Nord N10 5G is on the list.

I know - it's a mess I feel your pain... that's corporate america for you.

My primary concern is for the international/world phone users travelling to the USA - does this mean that AT&T just boxed them all out of service? I have used my OnePlus 6 around the world... it works wonderfully to this day...
    The fact that I need to change because they say the LTE in my OP6 isn't as good as the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from 2014 is preposterous... and annoying.

Artemus. likes this.
  3. charris2587
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2021

charris2587 , Jul 26, 2021 :
    Thanks for your input. I've seen that list. Yeah the phone I had before an iPhone 6S the one I upgraded from TO the Oneplus 7 pro will still be supported.... makes no sense. lets just pollute the environment more with phones that could be made fixable with a software update. do you use AT&T or AT&T prepaid just out of curiosity?