Major GPS issues via OnePlus Community App

1. ArkaMajumdar , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 1, 2020 :
    I brought a new One Plus 7T McLaren Edition from T-Mobile and the phone has major GPS issues. Waze or Google maps don't locate me and I cannot get the maps to work with the car movement. Location seems to be fine as I can check into Facebook with locations. Is someone else facing the same issue and if there is a solution would love to know, thanks.

dpgx81 likes this.
  2. dpgx81
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2020

dpgx81 , Jan 9, 2020 :
    Bumping this, I am having the same issue you described above. T-Mobile posted just after the holiday that they tentatively had a release date for the patch slated for the second week of January, but there has not been an update this week. I hate to even suggest this because most of us purchased for 5G, but I was able to temporarily resolve my issues by going to settings, Wifi & Internet, Preferred Network type, and selecting 2G/3G/LTE instead of 2G/3G/LTE/5G. Hopefully the patch is released this week and resolves the issue.

ArkaMajumdar likes this.
  3. dpgx81
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2020

dpgx81 , Jan 9, 2020 :
    Just another comment, I'm picking 2 more phones up this week for my wife and for my sister. Other than this quirk it's been fantastic so far!

dpgx81 likes this.
  5. dpgx81
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2020

ArkaMajumdar likes this.
  7. seancaldwell
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2020

dpgx81 likes this.
  8. dpgx81
    Gingerbread Jan 9, 2020

dpgx81 , Jan 9, 2020 :
    It's just strange that it's gone dark since the post mentioning the update was slated for this week. Many have tagged the tmobile employee but no response.

9. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 10, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 10, 2020 :
    Speaking for myself, GPS is a lot more important to me than 5G. My average data use is ~ 500MB / month, almost all of it mail, and almost none of it important. Next to mail, the next biggest data use is GPS-related (location look-ups, traffic data, and so forth). MMS and other messaging stuff comes next. That makes me somewhat atypical; but I do think that many, if not most, users would also prioritize GPS if they had to make a choice.

I also wonder whether mobile 5G in general isn't a solution in search of a problem. I've been around long enough to have experienced every upgrade in wireless data tech, and they were all phenomenal. But we're now at a point at which even halfway-decent 4G LTE exceeds the bandwidth that many servers will allot to a given user (or in some cases, are capable of delivering to a given user, given overall traffic, hardware limitations, datacenter provisioning, and so forth).

5G certainly makes sense for stationary wireless use, where it has the potential to eliminate copper and fiber for last-mile connectivity and can bring broadband to remote areas where the cap costs would be too high to justify stringing wire or fiber. It also makes sense for shared hotspots. But for a device that only is used by one user at a time, and where the bottleneck is likely to be based on upstream server limitations rather than the pipe itself, I have my doubts whether it will provide much subjective improvement for most users.

Richard

dpgx81 likes this.
  10. dpgx81
    Gingerbread Jan 10, 2020

dpgx81 , Jan 10, 2020 :
    I agree with the fundamentals above and travel for work frequently so GPS is important to me as well. I suppose you can turn 5G on and off when needed as well, however people paid for a product that provides 5G and can't use their phone fully right now with it enabled. I'm hoping the T-Mobile rep wasn't just blowing smoke and there is some type of legitimate fix on its way.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  11. TommyOP
    Cupcake Jan 23, 2020

TommyOP , Jan 23, 2020 :
    Hi everyone,

I signed up to this community specifically about this GPS problem. I'm in the same boat, Waze and Maps work terribly. Not able to pinpoint my location.
    My temporary work around has been to: Open the app (Waze or Maps). select my destination, once it calculates my route, hold the right power button and select "restart". After restart, I get a somewhat working app (still wonky).
    Does anyone else have a different suggestion?
    I see a few "disable 5G" and "turn off GPS location accuracy". Any recommendations? What are the Pro and Cons of either.
    I love my McLaren! My first non BlackBerry phone (I've had every single VKB BlackBerry since the Storm). My Motion simply ran out of usable memory. Very pleased with this phone, besides this GPS thing.

12. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 23, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 23, 2020 :
    I don't have the McLaren (I have the 7t), so take this for what it's worth.

I think I read that an update for the McLaren addressed the GPS problem. I'd check for that first.

The disadvantage to disabling 5G is... well, no 5G.

The disadvantage of disabling location accuracy varies. Where I live, it makes no difference whatsoever. In cities, it will, in theory, use RTT to and from the known AP's to calculate a rough fix when you're indoors (provided Google knows about the AP's), slightly reduce TtFF outdoors, and possibly improve accuracy and stability when driving through artificial canyons between tall buildings that block the birds.

In my experience, however, it does little of any real value other than add to Google's database of AP's.

If the McLaren update doesn't fix the problem, I suggest you test the raw GPS signal using the GPS testing app of your choice. I'd try it with 5G both on and off and with location accuracy both on and off to see if either makes a difference.

With GPS, GLONASS, and GALILEO enabled and location accuracy off, I usually get > 40 birds with about 25 to 35 usable, depending on the topography. If the testing app can see 30+ birds and has decent signal on at least half of them, that means a radio problem is unlikely.

One thing I've found that helps with most things GPS-related is to go into Dev Options and enable "Force full GNSS measurements: Track all GNSS constellations and frequencies with no duty cycling." The cost is increased power consumption by the GPS radios, but it's not huge.

Richard

TommyOP likes this.
  13. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 23, 2020

TommyOP likes this.
  14. TommyOP
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

TommyOP , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Thank you Geek, I'll give the above a try.

Would anyone know, how do you confirm you received the McLaren GPS Fix update?

15. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2020

16. Georgeoneplus7pro
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2020

17. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 25, 2020 :
    One thing I forgot to mention...

Some phones will have intermittent problems with GPS when "Wi-Fi scanning" is enabled under

Location -> Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning -> Wi-Fi scanning.

On affected phones, the GPS radios will pause working while the Wi-Fi scan is in progress. I've always told myself that I should look into the "why" some day; but so far, that day hasn't come. I imagine it has to do with some manufacturers' resource allocation choices.

I don't know whether the phones in the 7t series have this issue because I routinely disable that setting when setting up a new phone. Most users don't need it. You can manually scan for a Wi-Fi network without it by long-pressing the Wi-Fi connection icon. The phone will also recognize any previously-saved networks without it when you enter their range. In short, it does nothing useful for most users.

In simple terms, with Wi-Fi scanning disabled, the phone won't do a Wi-Fi scan unless the human user asks it to. When it's enabled, both apps and Android itself can request scans every 15 minutes, which can actually be a lot more often if multiple apps are requesting scans.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Bluetooth scanning feature also can affect GPS on some phones, but I can't say for sure. As with the Wi-Fi scanning option, I routinely disable it when I set up a new phone. Very few users need that setting enabled.

Richard

TommyOP likes this.
  18. TommyOP
    Cupcake Jan 28, 2020

TommyOP , Jan 28, 2020 :
    I can confirm I did receive the update and my GPS issues seem to be resolved. Thanks Geek for your help.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  19. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 28, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 28, 2020 :
    My pleasure. I'm glad your problem is fixed. :)

Richard