Make your phone faster while you wait for the OnePlus One

1. viraaj11
    Community Veteran Apr 21, 2014

viraaj11 , Apr 21, 2014 :
    So, I suppose a lot of people complain about lag and they are unaware of few existing workarounds which are magical. Really, it is magic.

So either you're not in the first list of launch countries or maybe you haven't saved up enough yet or who knows if you're not going to get your hands on those autographed invites, you still need to run your old device for quite sometime and many times, the lag pisses you off. You think you can "settle" but why? I say, NEVER SETTLE

Here are a few tips and tricks which I use for killing lag on my trusted Galaxy Nexus. Now, the few things you require are A ROOTED PHONE, SOME TIME PROBABLY HALF AN HOUR FOR SOME METHODS and lastly some COMMON SENSE.

I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, so please TAKE A BACKUP before you begin even though there should be no problems as such.

The time has come to kill LAG!!!

1. [APP] SEEDER: This app works wonders on all phones I've tried it with (Gnex, Arc S, a couple of chinese mediatek phones and a Samsung Galaxy Pop). Basically this is an entropy generator which increases the available entropy. I'll just pass on the link, you can read more about what it does over there (I'm doing this in order to keep the post clean)
    It is a paid app, but you can download it for free as an apk, there is no license verification so there won't be a need to patch it as well.
    Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lcis.seeder

2. [SCRIPT] V6 SuperCharger: This is used by tons and tons of users and everyone says it makes lags go away and you can see the difference. It is visible. I used it on all of the devices and bloody hell this is fast. This is especially useful when you do not want to flash a new ROM but aren't happy with the performance of the current. this basically works with your MINFREES and the rest can be read in the thread. One of my personal favourites along with SEEDER. You will need Script Manager to run it (free on google playstore).{Keep 45 minutes reserved for this if doing for the first time }
    Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991276

3. [MOD] Turbo Boost: This is another cool mod which i happen to use, it is relatively less popular as compared to V6 SuperCharger, but it is very efficient as well, it is easier to set up as well. It isn't as efficient as V6 as a standalone, but when you couple both of them, you get a sinister beast of a device. You just need to flash this in the recovery and follow the instructions on the Aroma Installer... not all devices are supported, so please do check the post in the link before flashing.

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2145133

4. Overclocking: Not the safest option, but works well if you care less about your battery and not going to use the device for more than a year from the time you overclock it. It basically increases the frequency at which your CPU operates, which gives you a boost in performance, at the cost of battery and some stability if taken to extremes. For this to work, you need a kernel that supports Overclocking (almost all custom kernels) NO STOCK KERNEL WILL ALLOW OVERCLOCKING. Along with the kernel, you need an app like Trickster Mod or SetCPU to overclock the CPU.

5. Reduce Amount of Storage: I know this is a no go for most of the people, but keeping a lighter system helps the processor work more efficiently as it has to process less stuff. Duh!

6. Disable Google Now: I don't have any explanations as such for this one, but phones lag due to Google Now, turn it off and wham, you're free of lag.

7. Disable Animations: Now this isn't going to give you any performance improvements as such, but it'll make your phone look visually faster as animations do two things, add a few milliseconds of effects before the app loads and adds a little load on the cpu to play the transition. So all transition and animation off, will give you a smoother looking device.

8. Reduce Apps on Startup: Many a times, our phone lag for about 2-3 minutes when we switch it on. It is due to the fact that almost all apps request run at boot permission, which does 2 things, firstly i increases the time it takes to boot up and secondly lags the device in the start, So, download an app called Startup Manager from the playstore (free) and disable any apps which are not required to launch on startup.
    Note1: Don't turn any system app off unless you want problems.
    Note2: Don't turn any Instant Messengers off, there's a fair degree of chance that you may not receive messages till you open that app.
    Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.startupmanager

9. Uninstall Bloatware: By uninstalling bloatware, not only will you ease off some pressure off your processor, but also feel peaceful from inside that those pesky apps don't exist anymore. Use apps like RootAppDelete to get rid off them.
    Note: Don't delete system apps whose use you cannot identify or else soft brick, lol.

10. [APP] LagFix (Fstrim): Now, this app too works like a charm. One of the best combinations to use along with seeder and V6. This, trims your data and keeps the system light, similar to how we defragment our hard drives. A paid version is also available, which allows you to run it at a schedule (like every monday at 1800) and is ad-free. But, the free version works great too. Again, no license verifivation is there, so you can download an apk and install it on your phone, but here is the PlayStore link for more reading.
    Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix

11. Flash a ROM: Now, this is not only for those who run rooted and stock, but for those on ROMs but not getting the max out of their phone as well. Now don't get me wrong, CM is better than most stock ROMs, but is it the best? Probably not. It is a more likely to be considered a stable AOSP ROm and not a lethal fast ROM. It's great, but not very speedy. Great for latest flagships, but not for anything more than 2 years old. I know a lot of people think of me to be biased to the Vanir ROM, but according to me, it is by far the speediest ROM that I've ever used. What you can do is lookup your device name on Google and type 'fastest ROM'. For example: "Fastest ROM for Galaxy Nexus".

12. Flash a new Kernel: Now, more than the ROM, your speed depends on your kernel. If you choose the right kernel, you'll get more battery life AND performance than the stock kernel. Most custom ROMs come with their own kernels, but you can flash kernels just like ROMs. I suggest Faux, Franco(very stable) and well, it depend on your device availability actually. SO do give it a shot, but don't under any circumstance flash another devices kernel on your device, it'll mostly softbrick your device.

That's it guys, in case y'all have anymore suggestions, please tag me in the post, I'll add it to the OP :) Cheers enjoy you new like device.
    P.S. I'm not responsible for you dropping your phone because it is too buttery
    . :)

Last edited: May 19, 2014

2. viraaj11

And speaking of benchmarks, I don't have screenshots, but earlier my Galaxy Nexus would score 8500 in antutu and now it scores around 11119(Yup it increased from the original 10950 due to a better kernel). Boy That's white some difference. Mainly improved performance in CPU and RAM.
    Galaxy Grand(WIN): Before: 9200, After: 11500.

Last edited: May 19, 2014

3. viraaj11

4. angeliou
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

Deactivated User and benluca like this.
  5. Ripa
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2014

Deactivated User likes this.
  6. Kernell_
    Gingerbread Apr 21, 2014

Kernell_ , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Nice post @viraaj11
    For Xperia Users: Boost my Xperia (available in Play Store)
    I use SWAP partition and SWAPPER2.

:D

I have used Seeder and V6 Supercharger... and I can tell you: they Really Work!!!
    Of course it's an important difference in a Qualcomm 1 core, runing at 1Ghz with 512mb of RAM, like the one inside my Xperia Pro. I don't know if the difference could be visible if your phone has a SnapDragon 400 or 800.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

Deactivated User and viraaj11 like this.
  7. simon16
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

simon16 , Apr 21, 2014 :
    But if phone's hardware isn't good enough even software hacks won't help much.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

8. reinierkramer
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

9. januso
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

januso , Apr 21, 2014 :
    I wish to but there is no CM on MTK device (I have Jiayu G3S) :(

10. viraaj11

Lol, honestly, Cm is one of the slowest ROMs. If you think CM is fast, you don't know the real definition of fast :p Te speediest ROM I've tried till now is Vanir.

Deactivated User and 007m like this.
  11. viraaj11

You can try others, most of them will work with a rooted device :)

12. angeliou
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2014

angeliou , Apr 21, 2014 :
    Define fast :p

13. viraaj11

Deactivated User and jewjitsu117 like this.
  14. viraaj11

If the hardware's good why do you need speed? :p
    No mate, you're wrong. These are majorly tweaks for the way your system runs. My Gnex sometimes behaves faster than my Girlfriend's Nexus 5. It isn't all on the hardware mate, software is very crucial to speed. That's why, you get better performance on Custom ROMs as compared to stock ROMs even though both use the same hardware.

Deactivated User and Davast like this.
  15. Noel
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2014

Noel , Apr 21, 2014 :
    That's some great information well done unfortunately my phone is an antique the only way to speed it up is to get out and push :-(

16. viraaj11

Hahaha Which phone you got there mate? Fancy them flips, eh?

Deactivated User and Davast like this.
  17. Deactivated User
    Apr 21, 2014

18. Noel
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2014

Noel , Apr 21, 2014 :
    HTC wildfire it was my backup phone but I busted my Newman n2

19. viraaj11

I had a wildfire too. The Turbo Boost has an edition for your wildfire as well, do check it out. It'll really ease up the lag. :)

20. Noel
    Jelly Bean Apr 21, 2014