Making friends in the Community – Share your story!

1. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Feb 16, 2021

yashonagori , Feb 16, 2021 :
    1544860-6e05da13368c379ce7711c74e794a580.png
    Banner credits: @Yash Pratap Singh.

*Wholesome Alert*

The tech community is full of debates and disagreements, but one thing we can all definitely agree upon is the fact that 2020 was a tough year, to say the least. Not undermining the efforts of all the frontline workers shedding blood and tears to get the world through this rough phase (A big salute and hats off to every single one of you superheroes!), for those of us who stayed at home, I’m pretty sure being alone and isolated took a heavy toll on many of us.

For me personally, I didn’t meet anyone except my family member at least for the first 4 months of lockdown. All forms of social engagements were completely shut. Being a sort of outgoing person, I found it difficult at times with the pressure to stay shut at home. But there was a silver lining. Around the same time as the lockdown had begun, the Lab program for the OnePlus 8 Pro had just started and I was one of the lucky few who got to participate.

I’ve said it a million times and I still stand by it; getting the phone wasn’t the highlight of the program, but it was definitely the opportunity to interact with people from around the globe and learn amazing new perspectives on shared topics of interest. Many discussions were held for months, a continuous back and forth of brilliant ideas, and of course, pulling each other’s legs and having fun while being miles and miles apart.

Through the OnePlus community, I’ve had the opportunity to meet some of the most intelligent, kind, and like-minded people who’ve inspired me and helped me come out of my shell.

One particular friend who stands out for me would definitely be @AbhilashSaikia, whom I met through the LAB. As soon as the results were announced, Abhilash texted me sharing his excitement. We both were pretty hyped for the journey, but the pandemic had different plans. Due to the lockdown, our shipments got delayed by almost a month, which was painful, to say the least. With this mutual pain, we would often take jabs at everything and vent our frustrations. After we finally received the packages, he helped me out so much through our entire process of the lab and even beyond that. All these past months probably had a few hundred conversations, and somewhere in the middle, I made an amazing new friend. To think that none of this would have been even close to possible with the ease of social media and especially the OnePlus Community makes me ever so grateful
    for the technology that wraps our lives.

By now, my list of online friends and acquaintances has become quite huge, and each friendship has come with its very own unique quirks. If anything, I would love the chance to meet these people IRL and just catch up! While this went on, I had a sudden realization; How lightly do we weigh the positive impact of smartphones and social media on our lives. We, humans, are social animals at our cores, and during a time like we just encountered, technology bridged the gap of thousands of miles and brought so many of us together. From finding a friend in @AbhilashSaikia some odd 3000 KMs away, all the way to the ever so curious mind of @MosheG1 12,609 KMs away in the wild wild west.

How can I miss the opportunity to appreciate my friends from the Writers' Club, all of whom have been nothing short of an absolute delight to work and converse with on so many occasions. With the power that @dsmonteiro has over the community, you wouldn't be surprised if someone in his situation behaved like a dictator and take pride in being feared by all, which he thoroughly ensures. Jokes aside, he is one of the best communicative and expressive leaders I've worked with, and always ensures that all of our problems and requests are heard and acted upon. @dnagpaldg , @YRJ , @suhantm , @Black Forest Ham , @Bhaveee, @Red Bearded BA (Jason C.) , @Texasaggie1 , @Batman360, @CosmicPaladin , @razzor228 and anyone else I might have missed, y'all are some brilliant minds and I appreciate the love and support you guys have shown! <3

As we spent the whole of last year fighting this atrocity and still keep going, I’m sure you all encountered many humans online that you otherwise wouldn’t get the chance to. Especially here in the Community, there are probably a million untold stories of strangers turning to friends, so here’s the opportunity to show your appreciation to your online friends, or maybe a loved one! Feel free to share your stories below, brownie points if it originates from the community but other platforms work too!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021

2. Balaji2828
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 16, 2021

3. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Feb 16, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Feb 16, 2021 :
    I am considerably a new member of the Community. I'm trying to get involved, took part in the OnePlus User Festival as my first event.
    Hoping to meet some people here... Cheers !!

4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Great thread @yashonagori!
    I was a clueless cupcake in the beginning...till I entered the ideas contest 😬
    I went all around the community for publicity...then I gradually came over to Wormhole and realised that it was a place filled with great and helpful people.
    @Dresa91 was the first person to talk to me and still I'm grateful that I found a friend like him.
    Then I accidentally revealed something in a thread which I wasn't supposed to do...and so I contacted @Aarav Sahni on PM...he was really helpful and so kind! Still we talk almost everyday but we both are gradually getting busier, so it's tough to stay in contact.
    I was introduced to a majority of my community friends in the WoHo, @Abhishek654 @Helder_DAlmeida @McJader @Oreo. @luigimario were my oldest friends... @McJader was really humorous, and so I couldn't take any of his post seriously lol🤣
    @BeingIncog was really similar to me, he loved cute animal pictures and horror movies (exchanged some on PM also👀)
    @YRJ and @dsmonteiro @Venky61 were my early mentors who helped my create my first thread (with @KaranRIyer and @Shubham_Ag.)...and I still ask them to check my draft before publishing because I feel safe after they've given it an approval 😉
    @tilak_gr.stark and @Bittoo06 were new members, but gradually became really close friends. @Batman360 is a foodie like me (but a higher level foodie lol).😜

And there are a lot of special people to mention, but that would increase the length of this post😬

Anyways, this community is like a second home with all my friends!

5. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Feb 16, 2021

Dresa91 , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Hey @yashonagori :)
    This is an awesome thread:)
    I am looking forward to all the stories:)

Awwww 🥰❣️thank you:)!

Well:)
    I have to say I found a second family here in the community:)
    I found soo many friends - if I would tag them, I know I am going to forget to tag people.
    But for example @Cheetosdust, @Starcommander, @Batman360, @Oreo., @the_o2, @YRJ, @B_Wrath, @Yash Pratap Singh. And all people in WoHo and in the German threads:)
    It is great to know all the people, to have them in my life:)

sorry for everyone I forgot to tag 🙈🙈🙈❣️

6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Feb 16, 2021 :
    There's a small part of me always wondering and guilty for those I forgot to tag🙈

7. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Feb 16, 2021

Starcommander , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Aye, thank you so much brother for remembering me ❤️❤️❤️

8. McJader
    KitKat Feb 16, 2021

McJader , Feb 16, 2021 :
    I've been wanting to post something like this since whenever but was waiting for an occasion. Thanks for the thread @yashonagori
    I joined back in September, with no idea of how forums work, in the hope of getting selected for the LAB. I had no clue I'd set in motion a chain of events that keeps me happy to this day. My first conversation ever was with @SoniaB who guided me like only she can. I started discovering the community, found @MosheG1 and @dsmonteiro idk how. They guided me further, and I started to get familiar with the forums. Moshe then told me about a place called Wormhole. I posted about my dog, Orio and he helped me start the conversation. I found friends in @Tokolozi, @Dresa91 .....and all the other wormies. Soon became friends with @Yash Pratap Singh. @tilak_gr.stark and Aarav Sahni.....
    All these friends have helped me so much, whether in uplifting my mood, passing time, or sometimes even giving serious advice
    I am forever grateful I discovered this place

YRJ, KaranRIyer, Bouncer71 and 18 others like this.
  9. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Yeah🙈🙈 like @BeingIncog , the best and friendliest ghost 🙈🙈
    Always ❤️❤️
    :)❣️

10. BeingIncog
    Nougat Feb 16, 2021

11. McJader
    KitKat Feb 16, 2021

McJader , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Damn among all this I forgot to mention @YRJ , I thank myself for the day I first talked to you. You've been the best friend and mentor to me online and I can't thank you enough for that.
    Also special mention to @TheGadgetGirl , @Starcommander @SRD. @Bittoo06 @BeingIncog and all other friends I made on twitter through the forums, you guys are awesome

YRJ, KaranRIyer, Bouncer71 and 17 others like this.
  12. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Feb 16, 2021 :
    ❣️❣️

13. Helder_DAlmeida
    Lollipop Feb 16, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Thank you for the tagg my friend! It's more than a tech comunnity it's family! 😀 🙏

14. Starcommander

Starcommander , Feb 16, 2021 :
    [​IMG]
    ❤️

15. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2021

16. IamIRONSman

IamIRONSman , Feb 16, 2021 :
    The most Active user @Dresa91 was my first interaction, I was looking around the community and spotted the Wormhole. Drawn towards it I introduced myself and the rest is history...

To think who were the first people I spoke to other than @Dresa91 was @Helder_DAlmeida , @SJBoss , the legendary @script and @Cheetosdust I believe.

@Starcommander , @Oreo. , @fragargon , @Rusty NZ , probably missing some.

As the months have rolled on I have spoken to a lot more of the community and would happily call a majority friend who once this is all over would happily fly to meet in person.

I know I have missed a few out but If I tagged you all I'd be reported for spamming probably.

17. McJader
    KitKat Feb 16, 2021

McJader , Feb 16, 2021 :
    Sigh, one more post
    Also thanks to @luigimario @sfomin @puccellino and others for trolling me at times, a dash of humour is always welcome even if slightly offensive ;)

18. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 16, 2021

sfomin , Feb 16, 2021 :
    slightly?! ok i need to crank it up a little :rolleyes:

19. McJader
    KitKat Feb 16, 2021

McJader , Feb 16, 2021 :
    :rolleyes::p
    And how can I forget the old bear @Mr. BG ....

20. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Feb 16, 2021 :
    :)