Manufacturing Costs

1. kristofpetho
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2014

kristofpetho , Apr 6, 2014 :
    I have to say @Carl, that is a very good marketing approach! Hats off to you guys, I have not seen any manufacturer before who would dare pull off something like this!

2. infernowheels
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2014

infernowheels , Apr 6, 2014 :
    If I'm not mistaken, Silk and Sandstone would come included with the phone already.

3. viraaj11
    Community Veteran Apr 6, 2014

viraaj11 , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Is it? Honestly I don't like the sandstone. If only we had an option to choose 2 free covers or as a matter of fact 1 free cover just for the forum members :D

4. nebsif
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2014

nebsif , Apr 6, 2014 :
    If were at it already, some innocent questions:
    • Would u settle for a phone w/o a mSD card slot?
    • Im doing a statistics research project, showing people a pic of bewbs with a phone between them for 1 second, the test subject then has to identify the brand of the phone, and if he thinks he did, the model of the phone. Would you care to provide me such pic of 1+1? its crucial for my academic future. (I can Photoshop the bewbs if necessary its k)
    • Research has shown that fans of certain products, including smartphones, tend to fall into depression and cut themselves when they discover said product is not available in their country. Say if u were the CEO of a company, would you allow them fans to purchase the product directly from ur site to avoid blood on ur hands?
    :)

5. infernowheels
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2014

infernowheels , Apr 6, 2014 :
    That's actually not a bad idea, to have a unique styleswap cover specifically for forum members would be a very awesome addition :)

6. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2014

Chinda , Apr 6, 2014 :
    A red limited edition never settle styleswap cover, id pay for that :)

7. GregOrevo
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2014

GregOrevo , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Hehe, i didn't understand this one fully, i'm not sure if we will can choose one of the two, of if they will be both included. :)

8. nguser
    KitKat Apr 6, 2014

nguser , Apr 6, 2014 :
    The low-end version of the iPhone 5s with 16 gigabytes (GB) of NAND flash memory has a bill of materials (BOM) of $191, according to the preliminary results of a physical dissection of the device conducted by the Teardown Analysis Service at IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS), a leading global source of critical information and insight. When the $8 manufacturing expense is added in, the cost rises to $199. Source: http://goo.gl/pjzYal

iPhone 5s 16GB selling price (unlocked and contract-free): $649

It will be very interesting to know how much does it cost to produce a OnePlus One ;)

Akki, GregOrevo and viraaj11 like this.
  9. only1butfun
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2014

only1butfun , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Tons of accessories buy I will.

Good thing to know that you will look after their availability through you online store.

So I conclude that even those caseaholics will get served even if its not completly in line with your design philosophy of the phone itself.

binal likes this.
  10. BensonBomb
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2014

BensonBomb , Apr 6, 2014 :
    The reason why apples production costs are so low is because of their mass production. If they buy in bulk that means they can get the parts cheaper, esecially parts that are made in house from apple. Unlike apple samsung buys in bulk from distributors like qualcomm and sony. Bigger orders mean more security for the distributors and they can buy them cheaper than rivals. Small companies like OnePlus often struggle to get the latest components like the latest processor or camera since the distributors do not know how sucessfull or dependent the companies will be. So frankely it is amazing to see OnePlus having the option to have the latest compoenents and still maintaining a cheap price. So i believe it when they say their profit margin will be very low. Lets say the cost of the phone is $300 (realistically) and they sell it for $350, those $50 goes towards the profit margin, payment of employees, and marketing. So the company will be gaining almost nothing, what they are relying on is the purchase of accessories. This is the meat of the buisness at the moment if they want to keep their cost down.

11. Sparkolo

Sparkolo , Apr 6, 2014 :
    How can you do not love him when he comes up with these comments? Just tell me.
    Looking forward to this infographics, so some friends who are skeptical about this won't have any other argument about it ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

Valture, oaklandnative, Otelo and 3 others like this.
  12. kristofpetho
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2014

kristofpetho , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Agreed, these guys are truly incredible!

13. viraaj11

viraaj11 , Apr 6, 2014 :
    The fact that OnePlus is going for zero or negligible profit margin, makes sense for they are heavily relying on the word of mouth of consumers. If this ONE goes a hit (which I am pretty sure will), then the next ONEs will bring in decent rewards for all the hardwork by the employees.

14. nikunj
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 6, 2014

nikunj , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Agreed With @Carl Cost Breakdown is the Only Important Factor In Start Any Business...!!!

15. Martinrm
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2014

Martinrm , Apr 6, 2014 :
    I have to say this company is honest in their ambitions. They are not playing the game for themselves like most other OEMs, rather they are changing the rules of the game. Rules that previously stated that the consumer are always at the feet of the producer, now the consumers are being relied on to the drive the company forward. You have my admiration OnePlus.

yonoshiro likes this.
  16. Maciej
    Froyo Apr 6, 2014

Maciej , Apr 6, 2014 :
    That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed both for you guys as well as for myself (to be able to buy an awesome phone soon) :D

nebsif likes this.
  17. Juiceman

Juiceman , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Me too!

nebsif and Chinda like this.
  18. Raphael Castle

19. Otelo
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2014

Otelo , Apr 6, 2014 :
    Me 2!!!!

Chinda likes this.
  20. SoulTribunal
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2014

SoulTribunal , Apr 6, 2014 :
    And a limited edition cyanogen mod cyan blue styleswap cover! Because I'm not a fan of red ;)

Chinda likes this.