Martial Arts Discussion

1. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 4, 2014 :
    This is an area for martial artists (and anyone interested), to gather and discuss styles, training, schools, philosophies, etc.

I enjoy lively discussions, but please refrain from "style X is better than style Y because..." type discussions. It is not just about the style, but also the practitioner that makes a difference:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - Bruce Lee

Be kind, respectful, and have fun!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

akyra77 likes this.
  2. devon28
    Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2014

3. JBCJackson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 4, 2014

JBCJackson , Aug 4, 2014 :
    I did get a black belt in karate and i am currently teaching myself taekwondo.. ILL BE A DEADLY MO'FO

EmmaWATTson and sbtkd85 like this.
  4. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 4, 2014 :
    My background:
    • 20+ years of Tae Kwon Do (Chung Do Kwan & WTF)
    • ~1 year of Filipino Arnis (Garimot)
    • ~6 months of Brazillian Jiu-Jitstu
    • ~2 weeks of Parkour

EmmaWATTson likes this.
  5. JBCJackson

JBCJackson , Aug 4, 2014 :
    TEACH ME MASTA

6. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Haha, actually Karate and TKD have quite a bit in common, so you should pick it up fairly quickly. I highly suggest finding a good instructor as they make all the difference.

I haven't taught in almost a year, so I'm really rusty right now, need to get back to practicing myself, but it is hard when you get interested in learning other styles. :(

7. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 4, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 4, 2014 :
    Why wouldn't you consider fencing a martial art? I do.

I fenced foil for about 2 years. Extremely fun but quite difficult to keep the arm moving through 2h long class. I should look into picking it up again, thanks for the reminder.

devon28 likes this.
  8. Xeph20

9. devon28
    Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2014

devon28 , Aug 4, 2014 :
    People consider it more of a sport than a martial art ;)

10. EvilSpeaks
    Jelly Bean Aug 4, 2014

EvilSpeaks , Aug 4, 2014 :
    3 years wing chun... Wished I didn't start so late I. E. In my 30's:mad:

Got my 6 year old doing karate since the age of 4 and a half, don't want him making the same mistakes I did

11. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 5, 2014 :
    No time! I'd love to learn more styles but I need to work to pay the bills, which doesn't leave much time.

True, but to me the definition of a martial art is broad enough to cover fencing.

Agreed! I wish I'd taken up more styles at a younger age as well. Luckily my parents started me in TKD when I was 5 and I stuck with it, but I would have loved to pick up one or two more as well.

Glad you started your child at a young age, just be sure it is a good school! I always tell parents, start them young, even if they don't stay with it long term, the benefits are astounding as they grow older.

devon28 likes this.
  12. EvilSpeaks
    Jelly Bean Aug 5, 2014

EvilSpeaks , Aug 5, 2014 :
    Yeah, I'm hoping it just becomes a way of life for him (since his been doing it from a early age) and he sticks with it, they do Kick Boxing at his School (in the later years, his too young to go now) and I'm think of also putting him into that (when his at the right age), problem is I don't know if doing 2 sty;es will be good or not, or if I should stop the 1 and move onto the next? Any opinions?

13. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 5, 2014 :
    Opinions? Yes. Answers? Not really.

Multiple styles is both good and bad. One thing I've learned is that you figure out quite quickly things that complement each other between the styles and things that just won't due to different philosophies. The former give you a great way to expand your arsenal while the latter really require you to push yourself on both styles.

Personally, I think it is necessary to get a very strong foundation/basics before trying too much. Adults pick things up quicker usually, so if you've been doing 3 years and want to try an additional style, I'd say you probably have a sufficient base to try something new.

With children it is harder. It can help but it can just as easily hurt their training, especially if they like one style over the other and think one is better/more fun than the other.

In your case, I'd suggest having your kid stick with Karate for now. Kick boxing shouldn't be too difficult for him to pick up later on if he gets a good foundation in Karate. A lot of the kicks and movements will be quite similar to Karate/TKD sparring so with a strong base, it should be minor changes to pick up.

Hope that helps!

EvilSpeaks likes this.
  14. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 10, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 10, 2014 :
    Anyone know a good Martial Arts supplier with an online storefront? I'm looking to purchase some equipment. I know I can ebay most of it, but I'd like alternatives if anyone has experience purchasing equipment.

15. EmmaWATTson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 10, 2014

EmmaWATTson , Aug 10, 2014 :
    I wouldn't mess around with you :p

sbtkd85 likes this.
  16. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Aug 11, 2014

sbtkd85 , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Haha thanks I guess but there are plenty of people who are much better than me.

EmmaWATTson likes this.
  17. EmmaWATTson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2014

EmmaWATTson , Aug 11, 2014 :
    I wouldn't mess with them either :p

18. jokicha
    Jelly Bean Sep 30, 2014

jokicha , Sep 30, 2014 :
    i wanna take kendo classes, but its soo expensive for the gear! sometime later i want to take karate and tae kwon do

i really wanna do parkour someday, but ill have to get in shape first!