McLaren Icons Display Issue via OnePlus Community App

1. PlusOneAlex , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 7, 2020 :
    Hi all 🙂

(Not clear yet if this belongs in the Suggestions/Bugs sections...)

Preamble: my device is the 7T-Pro McLaren 5G TMO variant.

In the "Suggestions" section of the forums, "OnePlus 7TProNR" is seemingly the correct device option to select - is it understood that 'T-Mobile variant' is implied by "NR" since it's associated with 5G and the only 5G McLaren out there is carried by TMO?

And as a result of selecting 7TProNR, "O2 Stable 200110" is automatically applied, but is that accurate since according to my device's OxygenOS version is "10.0.19.HD61CB"?

-> So anyway, this thread is about not being able to apply the McLaren edition icons. My default launcher is Nova.

This is the recent email I sent to their support dept:

"In Nova's Settings, the "Look & Feel" category, then "Icon style", then "Icon theme" I reverted the selection from "Candy Cons" to "System" (Screenshot #1*) intending to enable the "McLaren" (#2, #3) icons that come with the phone.

But after restarting Nova, then rebooting with a device cache wipe, the icons still haven't changed. (#4)

At least, they haven't changed throughout most of the areas where icons are visible. But there is a minor exception in a separate 'app switcher' found in the phone's drop-down notification window (#5). You can see that "Camera", "Gmail" and "Calendar" appear to be displaying the McLaren styled icons.

Found a couple more instances for "Gallery" in Android's Recents section (#6) and in a file explorer app (#7), but these few exceptions are only found in those specific areas and are not repeated in the home screen or Nova's apps section (#8).

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?"

And the response:

Date: Thu, Feb 6, 2020
    Subject: Re: [Help] Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.9: Icons Display Issue

"Hello,

That's because OnePlus doesn't allow 3rd party launchers full access to those icons. That's exclusive to their launcher and device settings only."

----

➡️ Is that the case?

If so, I've got so many Nova-related adjustments in place that I've become reliant upon and accustomed to, that switching to the OP launcher just in favor of displaying the McLaren icons would be a genuine inconvenience.

If it's *not* necessarily a deal-breaker to have both Nova Launcher remain the default launcher *and* to have the McLaren icons enabled, and someone out there could explain how to make such a workaround, it would be greatly appreciated 🙂.

Lastly, if it *is* accurate that this issue is launcher-related and there isn't a possible workaround, that's where an official Suggestion/appeal to the OnePlus team would come in.
    Please OP-Wan, you're our only hope!

(Only a small fraction of this inquiry would be usable in the Suggestion form though so hopefully this is the right place to ask).

Thanks in advance for considering and/or providing any feedback!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      362.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      158.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020

2. PlusOneAlex
    Donut Feb 12, 2020

PlusOneAlex , Feb 12, 2020 :
    Hi,

Just updated thread with screenshots...

Suggestions on the icon/launcher situation would be appreciated...

3. RobbM
    Gingerbread Feb 12, 2020

RobbM , Feb 12, 2020 :
    This is a Nova Launcher related problem. This doesn't have anything to do with OnePlus.
    I'm currently using Lawnchair Launcher and I'm having zero problems with setting any icons, including the McLaren ones that came with the phone. Oneplus does allow 3rd party lauchers to access the icons but Nova clearly doesn't support them (As lawnchair can access them).

Try lawnchair launcher rather than Nova and report back.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.deletescape.lawnchair.plah&hl=en_GB

Kyle3389 and PlusOneAlex like this.
  4. PlusOneAlex
    Donut Feb 14, 2020

PlusOneAlex , Feb 14, 2020 :
    - Hmm, so we've got parallel 'the problem's on their end' controversies?

- I did notice Lawnchair featured on XDA recently and the consensus seemed to be very positive.

I'm a long-time, paid user of Nova so I was hoping to discover a workaround rather than dropping it cold turkey simply due to an icon compatibility issue...but I will definitely give Lawnchair a try.

5. Big Dog
    Donut Feb 16, 2020

Big Dog , Feb 16, 2020 :
    I personally use Nova launcher, and had no problem at all getting the McLaren icons to display.
    1581877307967.jpg

PlusOneAlex likes this.

7. PlusOneAlex , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Update:

Forwarded message ---------
    From: TeslaCoil Apps Customer Support <support@teslacoilsw.com>
    Date: Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 10:48 AM
    Subject: Re: [Help] Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.9: Icons Display Issue

Hello,

You would need to ask that person how they did it. I have a McLaren device and there's no way that I've found to use the stock icons.
    ---------

[e]27a1[/e]️ Big Dog, you've managed to outwit the dev of the launcher itself! 😋

Please clarify how you enabled the pack with Nova.

8. RobbM
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2020

RobbM , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Feb 25, 2020 :
    I guess Nova will need to add support as every other launcher can use stock icons. Nova support are usually quite good at pointing the finger at someone else imo.

You could try these icons to fix the issue, although it does cost.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cris87.oxygen_mclaren

9. PlusOneAlex , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 26, 2020 :
    1) Nova team themselves said they are unable to apply the icons, that's why I'm asking the chosen one up there how he did it.

2) The icons come with the device, why buy them again?

1582677440140.jpg

10. RobbM
    Gingerbread Feb 26, 2020

RobbM , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Feb 26, 2020 :
    The icon pack from the play store actually includes more icons than the system pack has so more icons will be themed and it's 3rd party so it'll be able to be used in Nova. Was just a suggestion.

PlusOneAlex likes this.