OxygenOS Media Storage keeps expanding and storage running out

1. tism30
    Eclair Oct 5, 2021

tism30 , Oct 5, 2021 :
    I've got the same issue as mentioned in OnePlus 9 Pro's Media Storage app is reportedly using up too much space (xda-developers.com) and it's really annoying.
    The notification "Storage space running out" is shown almost every hour.

I've deleted:
    • "recently deleted" in the Gallery app
    • recycle bins from the File Manager, Files and Files apps (Oneplus and Google)
    • deleted most of media in Whatsapp
    • removed apps
    I'm pretty frustrated now because the phone isn't functioning proper anymore. Apps are crashing etc.

Stijnc98, NewazM and BerserkerBrett like this.
  2. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Oct 5, 2021

puccellino and Caomhin like this.
  3. tism30
    Eclair Oct 5, 2021

4. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Oct 6, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 6, 2021 :
    Have you backed up your phone and done a full Erase All Data factory reset to refresh your current installation of OOS to see if that can help.

If this doesn't alleviate the issue, you may have to bring the phone to a OnePlus Approved Service centre and let them investigate the issue.

Xcommunicad0 likes this.
  5. tism30
    Eclair Oct 6, 2021

tism30 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 6, 2021 :
    1633504136624.jpg
    Did a factory reset last night since the phone wasn't functioning anymore. After the factory reset it was using only 24gb and this morning some more already. I'll keep an eye out today for the System usage.

6. Caomhin

My System on OOS 11 uses 23GB, can drop as low as 20GB but doesn't grow beyond that. If it starts getting exponentially larger in a short space of time, definitely bring it to a service centre as mentioned above.

puccellino, Xcommunicad0 and tism30 like this.
  7. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Oct 6, 2021

B_Wrath , Oct 6, 2021 :
    I think this is the buggy media storage app. It is the same for me also. OnePlus is yet to get a solution, I think.
    The media storage counts all the media and takes it as system app data. It's quite irritating.

8. Caomhin

Yes, someone mentioned previously that it may be a hardware controller for the storage, but what you mention has also been stated. But the Service centre should be able to check into it.

puccellino, Xcommunicad0 and tism30 like this.
  9. tism30
    Eclair Oct 6, 2021

tism30 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Oct 6, 2021 :
    1633505771787.jpg
    Half an hour later it's almost using 1 GB more. I'll go and try contact OnePlus since there is no response here and if this continues at the end of the day I have the same trouble.

10. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Oct 6, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 6, 2021 :
    Hi, It may be more but I have not seen more than 25 GB in any case yet. Preferably you should consider visiting the nearest service center at the earliest possible.

Btw this is User forum and as mentioned earlier you would need to report at below link to OnePlus official support for any response from them.

https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

P.S. Some Bug hunter might notice it here too and contact you but should not wait anyway now as you have already tried factory reset too.

Caomhin and tism30 like this.
  11. tism30
    Eclair Oct 6, 2021

13. tism30
    Eclair Oct 6, 2021

tism30 , Oct 6, 2021 :
    The bin section in the Google Files app

faiz.marvel likes this.

15. puccellino
    Lollipop Oct 7, 2021

puccellino , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Thats interesting. I've seen quite a few people complain about this, from the 8T onwards. What makes you believe its media storage causing the issue?

I am aware of a guy from Bangladesh who has to reset his phone every day, as the system files grow exponential and fill his 256 GB.

Did you find a workaround for it?

Caomhin and G_plusone like this.
  16. puccellino
    Lollipop Oct 7, 2021

Perhaps do a little test, do a hard reset at night and then put it into safe mode. See if the system files grow in the morning.

Caomhin likes this.
  17. B_Wrath
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Oct 7, 2021

B_Wrath , Oct 7, 2021 :
    When you check the media storage app consumption, it is same or higher (I guess the thumbnails are added too) to the actual media you have on your phone.
    If connected to PC and the multimedia items are moved, the storage of the "media storage" app also comes down.

18. G_plusone
    Nougat Oct 7, 2021

G_plusone , Oct 7, 2021 :
    when you think things cannot get any stranger with OOS

Caomhin likes this.
  19. puccellino
    Lollipop Oct 7, 2021

Ahhhh......ok thanks.

Caomhin likes this.
  20. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Oct 7, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Oct 7, 2021 :
    Not sure how it is handled, I tried clearing only cache for most used Apps and noticed that Chrome cache(approx 1 GB) immediately reduced the System size.

May be it is the case for all Google apps and most certainly residual files from uninstalled apps as well.