Media Storage literally duplicating SD memory usage

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 29, 2021

Dunnow , Jul 29, 2021 :
    I have recently noticed that my Media Storage takes up 52GB and I mean, the "app" media storage.

It seems to literally be duplicating every file I have, not that I see every file twice, but the fact that it seems to be "storing a copy" of every file.

If I take a 2GB video, the Media Storage goes up also 2GB, effectively taking me 4GB out of space on the device.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/mzhpe3/media_storage_app_using_way_too_much_space

Here's a link of other people having the same issues. I also see the same as describen on the opening post in reddit.

Any Idea on how to avoid it? Some people have told me they have the same issue but a phone reboot, or deleting a file triggers this to be solved automatically, not my case.

ChrisDeRidder, the_o2 and G_plusone like this.
  2. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 29, 2021

Dunnow , Jul 29, 2021 :
    How to check yours:

Settings -> Storage -> Other Apps -> (3 dot menu) -> show system apps -> Media Storage -> X used memory.

3. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 30, 2021

4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 30, 2021

the_o2 and G_plusone like this.
  5. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 30, 2021

G_plusone likes this.
  6. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Jul 30, 2021 :
    BTW, what app is that you see the storage that way?

That media storage has been a discussion at some places... And many believe it's some data that needs to be wiped. But it's basically keeping track of the data for user 0 if my understanding is correct. Previously on older phones wiping this or disable it would create strange behaviour. Like "loosing" all pictures. But recovering it after a reboot when media storage indexed the storage again.

7. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Yes I used to clear this data every other day back in the horrendous days of the OP2. It's basically an index, the actual data is safe, and until it rebuilds the index your apps appear as blank. Nothing that didn't solve itself in 2 minutes.

The problem is when it's actually wasting 50% of my storage out of the blue. Both my OP6 and OP6t don't have such large "data" datasets, and I do have +200GB used on my op6t, so, the strange behaviour happens in the op9. Either it's a SW thing or I have a different app (which I do) installed on the op9 that is causing this behaviour (which I kinda doubt tho, but could be I guess)

The app I used to see the storage that way (Similar to what SDMaid does too) is the following https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=es&gl=US if you do have root, this is particularly useful to find out those pesky apps that have logs somewhere taking up space.

I had literally a Samsung Galaxy S2 have 18 gigs log files because a ****** up nightly was left with logging on. Obviously, it was writting it on a system partition so... phone was always full yet apps were less than 2 gigs... Really nice, you can literally pinch in and out of things to see exactly what is in where and how much it uses.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  8. Swejuggalo

My case is pretty small though. I usually don't store that much locally since I sync video and pictures via Onedrive.

1627633558090.jpg

1627633558121.jpg

9. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 30, 2021 :
    but then you have the same issue as I do I understand, if you record 4k 120fps for a couple minutes, the file will take X gb, but the total "used" space, will be X*2 GB really right?

10. Swejuggalo

Before.

1627657241226.jpg
    After.
    1627657241292.jpg

1627657241354.jpg
    If any app counts actual media storage usage but also the app "media storage" usage and combines them as the real usage is wrong.

The video file was about 3GB big.

11. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Well... the phone itself seems to do so... That's the thing, I have 50 gigs used, the storage in settings reports 100 gigs used. 50 of them are in the MediaStorage app as "user data"

12. Swejuggalo

That is kind of wacky of some reasons. System can for example show 24GB. 13GB a other time. And a whopping 1.15GB at a other.

1627659021979.jpg
    Here you see Media Storage as an app still showing around 5GB.
    The video files is deleted and clears from recently deleted.
    So the actual media is back in the 2GB region.

Media storage app will remain at 5GB until it's synced.

The media storage app has been around for long but what it indexes and how it works has changed some over time.
    I have never really paid attention to how it looked and behaved before until people started complaining on it here on the Community.

During the time I wrote this Media Storage removed some other files from the index but not yet the video file.

13. Dunnow

Dunnow , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 30, 2021 :
    Yeh most of the times it's just a matter of time to regain that space, else a reboot would do. My issue is the fact that it literally takes up the same space as media I have.

Not that this does not happen on the op6t for example. Where i have easy 180gigs used and media storage does not reach 2 gigs

14. Swejuggalo

Question is... Is it really or just incorrectly detected that way?

15. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 30, 2021 :
    well, not sure, but as far as I know, when android detects that "storage" is full stops allowing updates on apps, gets the annoying "no storage" notification etc. Reality is, if on an op6t this does not happen, why does it happen in the 9pro

G_plusone likes this.
  16. Swejuggalo

Have you tried the beta and are on Oxygen OS 11? Would be strange is yes and it still acts differently.
    I don't really have a good answer yet. Maybe I can find one.

17. ChrisDeRidder
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2021

18. MirceaForce
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2021

MirceaForce , Aug 24, 2021 :
    A lot of issues

19. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Aug 24, 2021

20. priyank_2707
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2021

priyank_2707 , Aug 24, 2021 :
    Does the storage space occupied by Media Storage, get released if you delete the media?
    So, for instance, you delete a media of 2 GB, does it release an overall space of (2 * 2 = 4 GB)?