Medicine or dentistry

1. yamanmalik
    Froyo Sep 26, 2015

yamanmalik , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Im in grade 11 and i live in on, canada. i really cant decide between dentistry or medicine. a general practinioner requires 12 years, 4 bachelor 4 med 4 residency or 3, dentistry requires 8 years 4 bachelor and 4 dental school, dentists in canada also have a higher median pay, but then again i dont care about the money too much? is dentistry harder? i really dont know which to do, and dont say do whichone i like more or whatever because im tied, in high school im like a high 80s student
    any insight is appreciated

2. Knicks7
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2015

Knicks7 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    i also live in canada, city of mississauga and i am considering medicine also, particularly a doctor or pharmacist. my advice to you is to just decide between whatever that interests you more. and what province are you from?

3. yamanmalik
    Froyo Sep 26, 2015

yamanmalik , Sep 26, 2015 :
    i live in mississauga too lol and the thing is im tied mann idk which one to pick or which interests me mroe

Knicks7 likes this.
  4. Knicks7
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2015

Knicks7 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    true, but if you do health sciences in university or life sciences than you can choose to go into either of the careers.i go to The Woodlands School, what school do you go too?

5. bgizzle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2015

bgizzle , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Getting into med school in Canada is hard as hell. Also, I believe medical school is harder than dentistry. In medical school, you will be required to learn the oral pharynx as well as the whole human body.

Knicks7 likes this.
  6. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Sep 26, 2015

rphlfjrd , Sep 26, 2015 :
    The only advise I could give is choose the one you think you'd enjoy and still alongside with your passion or what you're good at.

I personally could have gone with Engineering but I chose to be in the Multimedia field. (I love Math so much I hate dealing with it anymore. No joke)

Satchel9000, yamanmalik and Knicks7 like this.
  7. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Sep 26, 2015

Dr. Indest , Sep 26, 2015 :
    ^ This.... I say dentistry. Better hours for better pay? Think long term... you may want to start a family eventually.

8. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Sep 26, 2015

Dr. Indest , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Pharmacology sucks :(

/me gonna give everyone either ibuprofen, tylenol, pepto bismol, beta-blockers, ARBs... and that is about it... oh and the blue pill.... If you want more meds aside from that, go see a real doc that did not attend Hollywood school of medicine.

mwayner and rphlfjrd like this.
  9. Navraj96
    Froyo Sep 26, 2015

Navraj96 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Perhaps take a gap year and try and get some experience in those fields under your belt i know this is easier said then done. Also research the hell out of the courses available at university that are local if you plan to stay at home. Lastly research the jobs available and salary which i think you have already done. Money is not the end all but it is a factor for sure next time you go to the hospital or dentist see if they are friendly enough to talk about there experiences.

10. bgizzle

bgizzle , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Gaps on a CV looks bad. Not sound advice IMO.

11. MaxLikesTurtles
    Jelly Bean Sep 26, 2015

12. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Sep 26, 2015

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Sep 26, 2015 :
    All dentistry advices gave the good paygrade in this thread.
    As a dental student i can say i dont care about the somewhat different paygrade (med vs dent) and neither did you. And it shouldnt be.
    Try to find out what you like (fast). Its important to do what you like, and that was the main reason why i chose this profession.
    Iwouldve liked medicin too, so i might do a lotta medicin-like courses in the future aswell.
    As i find out in general, Dentistry really is quite a practical (handwork-like) study and not that theoretical as medicin. (Most will be a Dentist, and not like, a researcher or will follow through other specialities like maxo-facial surgeon or something. Which are stil mostly practical orientated).
    In medicin its firstly, and mostly, theoretical and you'll get to choose along the way if you want to do more "practical" work. Its still ver wide branche and will get you in-depth lated.

Thats how it goes in Netherlands (+EU maybe) in my opinion.

Good luck on your choice and you can always ask me info, altho i already can see there are small, but maybe significant, differences in education system.

I also dont think money isnt important. But you should also not only look at your age, but at the life-phase you want to be in, in the next periods of your study. Do you want to "settle" (lol) soon with your own family and higher starting paygrade.
    12yrs later with steadily but longer increasing paygrade
    Vs.
    8yrs later with a bit higher paygrade as startsalary

(Im sure you wont care about your salary in about 25+ years after graduating, and thats a good thing)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

rphlfjrd likes this.
  13. Navraj96
    Froyo Sep 26, 2015

Navraj96 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Oh sory ok its not that case in the uk.

bgizzle likes this.
  14. Texan21

Texan21 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    Pay is meaningless if you get paid a lot and hate what you do. If you like/love both then I would go with whichever provides the most benefits (pay, length of time to complete a degree, etc.) I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either or.

Satchel9000 likes this.
  15. Satchel9000
    Froyo Sep 26, 2015

Satchel9000 , Sep 26, 2015 :
    I don't live in Canada and italiab system is really different as far as I can tell, but my sister is a dentist and according to my parents I should have become one too. Luckily I choose something else. I always thought that medicine gives you more satisfaction, plus you don't have to hurt people (usually at least). XD
    Try to focus on your future carreer: would you like to do that ALL your life? If the answer is yes for both, than think about which would you like the most (I mean, which you'd prefer doing for 40 years).
    My father was a dentist and my mother is a doctor, so it was natural for me to have strong opinions on this Jobs before having to choose. You should probably talk to your doc and you dentist, maybe they could 'open your mind'.

16. GlobeAround
    Cupcake Oct 24, 2019

GlobeAround , Oct 24, 2019 :
    I always wanted to study medicine but it's extremely complicated for me. You have to remember tons of information and it's not what I do well. I can calculate, solve equations, I know physics, and so on but medicine is much harder. I read about IVF ICSI treatment on adamandevenoida.com and I could hardly understand what it is all about.

17. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 24, 2019

meatandy , Oct 24, 2019 :
    Orthodontist .;)

Yikes , a thread from 2015 :mad:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019