1. Cragglexd
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Cragglexd , Sep 22, 2017 :
    also we can't use flash and portrait mode :'(

2. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Sep 22, 2017

Mr. BG , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I've used one of yours, will look for a sample when I have time

Use manual, experiment, standard modes are for Snapshots.

paulissimo and otto2 like this.
  3. Cragglexd
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

I might have to try manual I don't tend to mess with shutter speeds because tripods are no good when I'm tryna make someone my model lol

I dont really know how manual mode works so I will practice , however to create the depth mode it uses both lenses, can we do that in manual??

4. KelvinKamGoon
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2017

KelvinKamGoon , Sep 22, 2017 :
    From casual viewing on my phone screen, the final two shots look best with the portrait mode.
    It seems the software for background blur works best if the subject/model is more prominent or centralised.
    Try doing more headshots.
    Adjust the brightness to the person's face rather than for the scene as a whole.

In terms of getting closer, I submit a casual photo of a friend I took using a camera (not smartphone) a few months ago. I'm guessing that's what Mr BG means?

1506091177103.jpg

Mr. BG likes this.
  5. Cragglexd
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

ahhhhh I didn't actually think of that, when it comes to auto mode I forgot you could do the whole tap to focus, I'm guessing focusing on a face would lighten the face and darken the background.

what if the models aren't central or showing more than a headshot?

Ive only done 3-4 shoots so far lmao

6. KelvinKamGoon
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2017

I've only had a few days with the stock camera app, but so far what I've seen has impressed me.

Try this if you're not already:
    While in camera app, when you click to focus, take note that to the right of the focus point circle there are a few vertical dots, you can drag the indicator across the dots up and down to adjust brightness of the photo to brighten/darken the photo based off that point's exposure.

This ui feature makes it easier to adjust brightness to the model's face. Try it out with objects at hand to practice.
    Have fun!

7. Cragglexd
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

I just had a little go with the slider, not taking images but just having a look... it seems to just work as a brightness slider

so if I was to focus on someone's face and crank it up a little it'll brighten the background too

8. KelvinKamGoon
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2017

Yup it's a brightness slider, but it works off the focus point rather than the entire scene.

I'd suggest adjusting it to slightly brighter but not overexposing. Then adjusting in post processing in an editing program. This allows you to retain details in the shadows if you choose to raise them a little.

Hope you understand what I'm getting at, it's a little difficult to fully explain without demonstrating.

Also look up "exposure triangle" if you are interested in using the pro mode, it'll help inform on what iso and shutter speed are for.

I might try to put together a quick walkthrough on a new thread if I have the time.

Right now it's off to bed for me, goodnight all!

Mr. BG likes this.
  9. Sdc1985
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2017

Attached Files:

10. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Sep 22, 2017

Mr. BG , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Yes, I've changed one of Craigs photos to show what I mean.

IMG_2756.JPG

There are too much shoulders, arms and other distracting elements in the original photo, just look at the difference with some cropping and other post processing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

otto2 and woSch like this.
  11. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Sep 22, 2017

Mr. BG , Sep 22, 2017 :
    yep, but get even closer, there is still too much blurry distraction. Bokeh isn't the solution to everything... Coke bottle cap and unnecessary distractions removed, also a little post process joke with the colours ;)

IMG_2757.JPG

12. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Sep 22, 2017

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

13. kingerkamal
    Froyo Sep 23, 2017

Attached Files:

14. Romain_Daudin
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2017

15. marcusskyfall