Menu button issues when using capacitive buttons

1. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2015

yahiroz , Sep 21, 2015 :
    So even with the latest Oxygen OS 2.1, I'm having issues with the 3 dot menu menu button appearing in some apps. A good example is Firefox, next to the tab counter should be a menu button, but nothing appears there. A workaround is to set one of the button gestures as the menu key but not all apps works with this (such as this app that relies on a menu button). The only way I can force the button to appear and have the normal menu button behaviour is to have on screen keys, but that just wastes screen space.

Will there be a fix for this, or perhaps an option to trick apps thinking it needs to display the menu button?

2. Zulian
    Eclair Sep 22, 2015

Zulian , Sep 22, 2015 :
    This is a material design in lollipop to remove the 3 dot what you should do is bind it to a button for long press to open menu.

This is working as designed because google is moving toward on screen software buttons.

kkmillennium likes this.
  3. dolbymark
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

4. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2015

yahiroz , Sep 22, 2015 :
    I'm fully aware of that, but Oxygen OS doesn't seem to tell the apps that there is no menu button, I shouldn't need to bind a button gesture just to work around this. Plus, as I mentioned before, some apps that don't have a 3 dot menu button don't always react to the binded menu button like the Sodoku app I linked in the first post (a menu should pop up while you're in a game when you press the menu button).

5. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2015

yahiroz , Sep 22, 2015 :
    This is the menu that should pop up, and works fine with on screen buttons:
    [​IMG]

The very same menu does not pop up if I used a binded key, I have tried double tap/long press back/home/recent but they do nothing. Firefox works fine, but not this one.

On my HTC One Google Play edition (basically stock Android) which also uses capacitive buttons, this is the native solution it has:
    [​IMG]

As you can see it uses a floating movable menu button, even if I have binded a menu gesture onto a key, which the app does react to. This allows old apps like these to function normally. It's part of stock Android but Oxygen seems to have removed this.

6. Zulian
    Eclair Sep 22, 2015

Zulian , Sep 22, 2015 :
    I understand what you mean. It is a bug and should be logged to be fixed. I think they have a long list and how it stand this might be set to low priority.

7. daroota
    Donut Sep 24, 2015

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

alroger likes this.
  8. 1960
    Honeycomb Oct 14, 2015

1960 , Oct 14, 2015 :
    +1 Same issue with me... The long press recent button (open/close menu option) doesn't work on all the apps... Really need this bug to be fixed...

Zounds likes this.
  9. amvrao
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2015

amvrao , Oct 19, 2015 :
    I see the Same issue. With older apps where the menu (...) button is not present in the app. the long press does not work.
    This seems to work with SW buttons but not with the HW(capacitive) buttons.
    This should be fixed. Using this is wasting the screen space.

10. buddychrist
    Cupcake Oct 22, 2015

dhanninacs and yahiroz like this.
  11. Ardadev
    Froyo Nov 1, 2015

Ardadev , Nov 1, 2015 :
    Any solutions to this without root?

I'm using Oxygen OS 2.1.1 and cannot use my bank's app efficiently.

12. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2015

yahiroz , Nov 1, 2015 :
    Nope, we're still waiting for a solution...

Ardadev likes this.
  13. Ardadev
    Froyo Nov 1, 2015

Ardadev , Nov 1, 2015 :
    Thank you, I hope this is solved as soon as possible :-/

14. satuday
    Cupcake Nov 3, 2015

satuday , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Its ridiculous that this issue still has not been solve. The OPT would be so much better if it were running Cyanogenmod. Never had any problem with my OPO.

15. Zounds
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2015

16. Jay Gajjar
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2015

Jay Gajjar , Nov 19, 2015 :
    Hmmm

Trevor Hawkes likes this.
  17. Jay Gajjar
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2015

18. Jay Gajjar
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2015

19. Jay Gajjar