OxygenOS Messed around with substratum and now in a bootloop... help!

1. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 14, 2017

arvindbadri , Mar 14, 2017 :
    Hi,
    I'm on the open beta 3 for oneplus 3t.
    I tried to add some substratum themes and then I didn't like the incomplete installation, and so I tried uninstalling them. It asked me to reboot. I said "OK" and then ever since that, the boot animation keeps going round and round for 10+ minutes and it doesn't start up.

I've tried dirty flashing ROM again and wiping cache+dalvik, but nothing seems to work.

I can access recovery and fastboot just fine.

Is there any way I can boot without having to wipe data?

2. Mizart
    Froyo Mar 14, 2017

Mizart , Mar 14, 2017 :
    Substrutam should've put some rescue files on your Internal Storage.

Go to TWRP > Install > Substratum and flash the SubstratumRescue.zip or SubstratumRescue_Legacy.zip depending upon whether you were using a rom with Legacy or OMS.

3. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 14, 2017

I don't see anything of that sort... Can I use a SubstratumRescue.zip found on the internet? Or should it be my file?

4. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 14, 2017

Wait, found it. I'm using Oxygen OS Open Beta 3 -- so should it be SubstratumRescue.zip or SubstratumRescue_Legacy.zip?

5. Praty_28
    KitKat Mar 14, 2017

Praty_28 , Mar 14, 2017 :
    its rescue zip not the legacy one! Just flash it boom no messed up themes!

6. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 14, 2017

Okay, I flashed both just in case, considering that they only try to remove their respective overlay files. Sigh. I wasn't supposed to apply themes on top of settings, apparently.

Fingers crossed, it's again entering a long boot animation, hopefully this animation will end.

7. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 14, 2017

Update: it doesn't work.

Any alternatives?

I even tried dirty flashing the latest open beta.

8. Praty_28
    KitKat Mar 14, 2017

This is weird as that rescue zip always worked for me when i applied a wrong theme.... Afaik dirty flash does not fix substratum overlays you either have to restore an older backup or do a full wipe! Could it be something other than substratum you did before reboot like some changes in build prop or anything related to changes in system?

9. dinjesk
    KitKat Mar 14, 2017

dinjesk , Mar 14, 2017 :
    go to /system/vendor/overlay/ in your recovery and delete all the files inside

theshinybeast likes this.
  10. Praty_28
    KitKat Mar 14, 2017

Im using substratum too but i cant find any overlay folder in /system/vendor is it there for you?

dinjesk likes this.
  11. dinjesk
    KitKat Mar 14, 2017

dinjesk , Mar 14, 2017 :
    indeed your right.

your using rootless substratum? maybe it's because of that

Praty_28 likes this.
  12. Praty_28
    KitKat Mar 15, 2017

Best Answer
    Praty_28 , Mar 15, 2017 :
    Yaa rootless substratum it is. But the rescue zip deletes those overlay files right which are stored somewhere. so the op has to do a clean flash to come out of that bootloop as he had already flashed the rescue zip.

dinjesk likes this.
  13. Minoharu
    Mar 15, 2017

14. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 22, 2017

arvindbadri , Mar 22, 2017 :
    I did clean flash the ROM afterwards. I didn't have a recent backup, so I lost a lot of data. :mad:

Praty_28 likes this.
  15. Minoharu
    Mar 22, 2017

Minoharu , Mar 22, 2017 :
    That's your fault that you didn't backed up data, I just wrote you the solution for your problem

16. kebabrulle
    Cupcake Mar 22, 2017

kebabrulle , Mar 22, 2017 :
    I accidentally soft bricked my OP3t and it's now in a fastboot loop (can still access TWRP Recovery though) and my original OS seems to be wiped.

I am on a mac and I have tried everything to re-install the latest Oxygen via TWRP and Android File Transfer but while installing it says:

"no MD5 file found"

and then it reboots into TWRP Recovery again, endless loop and can't seem to find any solution.

All help appreciated!

17. Steps Parku (DJ STEPS)
    Gingerbread Mar 23, 2017

Steps Parku (DJ STEPS) , Mar 23, 2017 :
    No MD5 File Found sounds mostly like you are flashing the wrong zip file.
    try to check if what you are trying to flash is an OTA or a standalone zip, signed file. as far as i know, you cannot take OTA if you are on a custom recovery like TWRP which has your system modified.
    just search and download full signed zip file here and you will be good.

18. kebabrulle
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2017

kebabrulle , Mar 23, 2017 :
    Alright, but I am pretty sure I have been trying to flash a full signed zip..I will try again with this, which is a full signed zip. Do I need to run SuperSU also?

"OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_013_all_1608061823_765c081a5c8e4dad.zip"

19. kebabrulle
    Cupcake Mar 23, 2017

kebabrulle , Mar 23, 2017 :

I downloaded this from the oneplus support page:

http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-3t/oneplus_3t_oxygenos_4.0.3/

Still not working, just reboots into TWRP recovery..can't seem to boot into normal system.

*UPDATE*
    Installed this file, when I boot normally now it starts the stock loading with the red dot in the middle and the 2 white dots circling it. But is stuck here on some sort of endless loop. Is there something else I've missed to install?

*UPDATE 2*
    Fixed. Not sure exactly what made it work this second time I tried installing (same file)..perhaps because I transferred SuperSU Beta and ran that before? So it kept it rooted? But that shouldn't really be needed..anyway, works now :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

20. arvindbadri
    Eclair Mar 24, 2017

arvindbadri , Mar 24, 2017 :
    Yes, yes, it is my fault, I never said it's yours or substratum's or OP's or Carl Pei's pet dog's.

Robson likes this.