Metalenz and the fascinating tech to obliterate the camera bump

1. Wasim1998raza
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2021

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 18, 2021

dsmonteiro , Feb 18, 2021 :
    All the cool amazing near-commercially-viable battery techs over the years made me quite skeptical about this kind of breakthrough.

This bit

The first consumer device won’t be a smartphone and, it is said, will arrive in early 2022. Later that year, we’ll see the first solution implemented on a consumer-ready phone. For now, we don’t know the company that will use Metalenz technology next year, but it is a company “active in 3D sensing”.
    makes me think inside-out VR headsets.

otto2, Tokolozi, BetiK and 3 others like this.
  3. Sagnizard
    Gingerbread Feb 18, 2021

Sagnizard , via OnePlus Nord , Feb 18, 2021 :
    I think Detachable lenses is gonna be a possibility of furture camera tech. There was a device called Samsung Galaxy Camera. If that device had at least some "smartphone-ish" features, it could have been a thing back then.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  4. BetiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 18, 2021

BetiK , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 18, 2021 :
    Thank you Cheetosdust for bringing us this sofisticated technology news.

Although I am already considered an elder, I cannot help expressing my satisfaction with this novelty.

One of the biggest concerns I have with my dear 7 Pro is the cameras. This bulge in the flat back is always a vulnerable place needing protection and care.

It's great to know that we already have technology to reduce the stack of lenses and sensors. Anxious to see this new tech here, after all "never settle" is the motto isn't it?
    Hopefully there will be no reason to make the smartphone inaccessible because of the price.

otto2, dsmonteiro and Cheetosdust like this.
  5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Feb 18, 2021

Cheetosdust , Feb 18, 2021 :
    Thank you for your kind words and for reading. :)

While I was researching this thread, I found two articles that I didn't include. You can read this paper published in Harvard's website, perhaps it can provide a little bit more of information about their origins. And this one published in IEEE Spectrum. ;)

It can be, VR headsets will always need better tracking hardware and cameras are a key-component. Not only that, but VR is fighting against space within the kits, so it’s a good fit.

If this solution is indeed small and flat, I wouldn’t be surprised to see companies trying to put a camera on their smartwatch. Don’t know exactly how people would react to conduct a video call with the wrist, but perhaps it can work somehow.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021

6. KhanAamer

mallu.achayan likes this.
  7. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Feb 18, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 18, 2021 :
    Nice thread @Cheetosdust! There is no doubt that one of the departments where most brands try to evolve is in the cameras. It seems to me to be a very interesting technology, let's see if any brand will adopt it. Stay safe my friend. Abc

mallu.achayan, otto2 and Tokolozi like this.
  8. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Feb 18, 2021

9. siddiquianas
    Honeycomb Feb 18, 2021

10. Abdul Basith2
    Honeycomb Feb 18, 2021

11. Ferdinand Kulman
    Froyo Feb 18, 2021

12. Priyanshu_01
    Froyo Feb 18, 2021

13. kushal__12

14. mallu.achayan
    Froyo Feb 18, 2021

mallu.achayan , Feb 18, 2021 :
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️WELCOME to the 'new' FUTURE 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

15. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Feb 18, 2021

16. Webclone
    Cupcake Feb 19, 2021