Microphone issues.

1. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 15, 2020

SwagnikDas , May 15, 2020 :
    Hi,
    I am opening this thread asking for help and advice and some support.

I have a OnePlus 7 Pro under warranty until May 2021.
    I am unable make use of it!

I recently did a factory reset of the phone as there were too many apps, files and junk (cache, unwanted files and empty folders) and I wanted to clean it out.
    Ever since I did the factory reset, my microphone stopped working.

I am able to answer calls and I can hear the person talk but I am not audible. However, if I connect my phone via a bluetooth headset, I am audible and can talk just fine.
    Another thing - I am unable to record audio, no audio if I record a video as well and this is while I am connected via Bluetooth.
    Bluetooth only works on phone calls but on no other apps that needs mic access like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, PUBG etc.

From what I understand, it seems to be like a software issue.
    I am unable to go to any repair center as all are closed due to the lockdown.
    I looked up on the Internet as and it says that I gotta flash the OS again via TWRP; I am paranoid to do that because I fear that my warranty will be void since the flashing needs root access.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions or any troubleshooting steps for me, please let me know. I'll be eternally grateful!

Thank you!

2. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 15, 2020

pgrey , May 15, 2020 :
    Have you tried Safe-Mode yet?

What about app(s) with microphone-permissions, what's in that list, on your phone? If you could share that list, it'd be a lot easier to get an idea here (if it's h/w or s/w related)...

3. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 16, 2020

SwagnikDas , May 16, 2020 :
    No, I did not try safe mode yet. Should I try it?

Okay and here is an example:
    1. I connect my wired headphones with the adaptor, I can hear everything but cannot record anything.
    2. I connect my bluetooth headphones, I can hear everything and the person I called can hear me too. But, if I log on and play PUBG with the same bluetooth headphones, my mic does not work.
    3. Similarly, audio and video recorder with or without mic does work.
    4. All apps have full permission for accessing microphone. Amazon Music's built in Alexa does not work with or without headphones, both wired and wireless.
    5. OK GOOGLE also does not work with or without headphones, wired or wireless.

Just to give you a gist - I can use my wireless headphones only for phone calls, it does not work anywhere else. This tells me that it is S/W.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Any insights?

4. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 16, 2020

No, I did not try safe mode yet. Should I try it?

Okay and here is an example:
    1. I connect my wired headphones with the adaptor, I can hear everything but cannot record anything.
    2. I connect my bluetooth headphones, I can hear everything and the person I called can hear me too. But, if I log on and play PUBG with the same bluetooth headphones, my mic does not work.
    3. Similarly, audio and video recorder with or without mic does work.
    4. All apps have full permission for accessing microphone. Amazon Music's built in Alexa does not work with or without headphones, both wired and wireless.
    5. OK GOOGLE also does not work with or without headphones, wired or wireless.

Just to give you a gist - I can use my wireless headphones only for phone calls, it does not work anywhere else. This tells me that it is S/W.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Any insights?

5. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 16, 2020

Tried safe mode, did not work. I tried to record a video, no sound but there is a weird noise like 'kich kich kich' kinda like an incoming signal.

6. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2020

pgrey , May 16, 2020 :
    - Disable or un-install ALL the (user-installed) apps that have microphone access.
    - Test the mic, and see if it works, now.
    - One-by-one, start adding apps back in, and you'll find the culprit

PubG is known to have issues, with overriding other app(s) mic access, plus you have Alexa, and who-knows-what-else.
    You can't have multiple constant microphone monitor apps, concurrently, or things don't work too well. Think of it as a stage, and 12 performers are fighting over the mic, how great is the "performance" going to be? ;-]

7. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 16, 2020

HAHAHA you have put it really nicely. So I called OnePlus support and they asked me to wipe data from Recovery. I did so, eventually led to another factory reset.
    I set the phone and recorded a video as soon as it was up. Still no sound. I don't have any apps installed other than a few important ones. Cannot find a particular app causing this issue per say.

8. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2020

pgrey , May 17, 2020 :
    Yeah, I'd still look at the app(s) that have microphone-access, even the "few important ones", that's how I'd chase-this-down (I've written a LOT of h/w and s/w tests, over the years, at least tens-of-thousands of lines of code in this regard ;-]).
    My OP7 Pro has never had a single microphone issue, in almost a years' ownership, for reference. Maybe there's a weird-one-off h/w issue here, or an odd s/w one, on the OS side, but I kind of doubt it.

I will say though, that ALL of the microphone-access apps I have installed (mostly the stock ones, but I have a couple of others) are highly-restricted, in that they can't run/access the mic, as a background-process.

Sorry if I'm a bit direct, it comes from working cross-device-team, on Win-OS, for the bulk of that time. Being cordial-direct is my modality, I've long given up on trying to "dress up the problems/issues"... o_O:D

If you want to share a screenshot of the app(s) that have mic-access, it might help here, in terms of diagnosis, but no guarantees (no real loss though, or security risk, really)...

9. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 17, 2020

SwagnikDas , May 17, 2020 :
    As of right now, I have only the default apps and Facebook, WhatsApp and Outlook. Nothing else.
    Maybe it is indeed H/W. I don't know.

10. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 17, 2020

SwagnikDas , May 17, 2020 :
    Guess what? I had to download and use Zoom for a meeting and voila it works in Zoom via Bluetooth.

11. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2020

pgrey , May 18, 2020 :
    Bluetooth can change the effective microphone input stack, particularly in Android 10.
    This gives some insight, without too much technical depth: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/sharing-audio-input
    Both Facebook and WhatsApp are known to grab the mic; some apps simply behave better than others, in this regard.
    I would be willing to bet that if you restricted background, on all the apps that have microphone access, that the phone would start to work, just fine (unless of course it's a h/w issue, but it sure doesn't seem like it, from what you're describing).
    There are lots of mic-tests out there, some decent, some not so great, but any of them should "try to put themselves at the top of the stack", and at least you could see if mic-input is s/w or h/w related (make sure to un-install afterwards, or disable it, or you'll have ANOTHER app competing for your mic-input).

It's super-easy to "make a mess" of any Android phone/device, by simply installing a bunch of apps, with competing access to given resources, it's just part of the inherent design...

BTW: A member of the OP bug-hunters team reached-out to me (I've helped them trace/debug some other issues, previously), on this topic, so I've redirected them to you, in terms of acquiring a trace/log of the issue.

Last edited: May 18, 2020

12. SwagnikDas
    Donut May 19, 2020

SwagnikDas , May 19, 2020 :
    Thanks! I will try this out and update.
    And yes, someone has asked me for the logs. Preparing that now.

13. TacoJames
    Cupcake May 26, 2020

14. Amayapradeep , via OnePlus 7 Pro Almond , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Hai
    I also have the same issue. Is it fixed?
    Whenever I record audio all I can hear is some loud noises also when calling someone. The receiver can only hear these loud cracking like noises.

15. Amayapradeep
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

Amayapradeep , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Hai, is your problem fixed ?
    I also have this same problem.

16. SwagnikDas
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

SwagnikDas , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Yes, I got it fixed after getting my motherboard replaced for my OnePlus 7 Pro.

17. Amayapradeep
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

So it was a h/w issue?
    I was also planning to register for repair
    But my warranty got over and also due to the current situation I cannot do so.

18. SwagnikDas
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

SwagnikDas , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 11, 2020 :
    As it turns out, it was hardware.
    After many factory resets, cache wipes etc, I had to take it to the store.
    My phone is still under warranty and that helped the repair. The process took long, almost 2 weeks because the part wasn't available due to the lockdown.
    They said there was water damage in my phone as one of the LDIs had turned red. This wasn't true because there is no way I could have dropped it in water. I did my homework well and hence I could debate with the engineer.
    Eventually, they honoured the warranty and my motherboard was replaced for free.

If you stumbled upon my post with the same issue then please visit the store and get it checked. They will help you out!

Good luck!

19. Amayapradeep
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

I was also struggling with issue for the past few months.
    I thought it will be a software issue,so I waited for updates.
    But still the problem occured. They also told me that there may be liquid damage or you may have dropped the phone and all.Which there wasn't anything like that.
    Anyway thank you for the response.
    I'm gonna register for service.
    Thank you!

SwagnikDas likes this.