microSD? gather the facts that we have.

1. Rob W
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 9, 2014

Rob W , Mar 9, 2014 :
    I used to care about removable batteries... but then I never used them. I carried around an extra battery back with my OG EVO (I think it was that one), and I never swapped it out.

Now I don't care. HTC One and Oppo N1. No removable batteries here. Don't need one.

2. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 9, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 9, 2014 :
    Just buy the 64 GB version. That's what I intend to do. 16 GB for my wife and 64 GB for me.

GregOrevo and Elisha Siegelman like this.
  3. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Mar 9, 2014 :
    heh:rolleyes:..sorry..

4. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Mar 9, 2014 :
    but either way, an sd would be good for the 16 gb.. i rly dont think an sd for the 64 is neccesary

5. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 9, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 9, 2014 :
    Some users want cost as low as possible and just stream everything so they don't need or want it. If there is no difference in cost then include it but I have to believe there would be some cost increase as well as a drop in performance.

On my Note 3 I do use a Class 10 SD card for pictures/videos but it is still slower than writing to the phone storage itself.

I'm indifferent as I had both 16gb and 32gb versions of the Nexus 5 and got rid of the 32gb as I did not need the extra space. Got rid of the 16gb due to the marginal battery life.

6. KyleVPirate
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 9, 2014

KyleVPirate , Mar 9, 2014 :
    True true, we have opinions. But underwealming if you ask me. With everything going cloud based and with planned obsolescence infecting the market place ala iPhone 4 and iOS 7, its a shame because if they had both of those factors, it would differantiate them from other phones out there

7. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 10, 2014

riffraff81 , Mar 10, 2014 :
    i have a 64GB card in my S3 and i've only used 8GB of it.

no removable battery, no problem.

8. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Mar 10, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Mar 10, 2014 :
    I take a lot of picture, videos, and like having intense games..

9. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 10, 2014

64GB version for you..

Sparkolo and Noel like this.
  10. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 10, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 10, 2014 :
    With KitKat, it seems that I have read about issues with 3rd party apps writing to the SD card. I'm at still on 4.3 (thanks for the timely updates AT&T) so I have no first hand knowledge but it seems Google prefers that all storage be done on the device or in the cloud. Can all games, etc. reside on the SD card?

GregOrevo likes this.
  11. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 10, 2014

the cloud is a good option for businesses that need a ton of storage that is secure and wont be at risk of disk failure from being on physical drives.

not really a viable option for the average user as you have to pay for access to your data eventually after the free trials along with having to be connected to the internet to get access to your stuff.

i hear samsung is trying to kill apps2SD support because of some agreement with google and if you're a heavy mobile gamer you need that extra space as these apps tend to be in the 1GB range.

Noel likes this.
  12. likebutta
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2014

likebutta , Mar 14, 2014 :
    The bottom line is that while there are some issues with Google's trying to get away from MicroSD, it still serves a purpose. Please remember that mobile internet access is not equal everywhere and it certainly is not affordable for many. It is here that MicroSD helps.

13. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 14, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 14, 2014 :
    SD is a good option if you are using it to store pictures, music or videos but with Google controlling what apps that can be moved to SD it almost seems like it is a dying option.

14. Adam Krisko
    NA Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 14, 2014

Adam Krisko , Mar 14, 2014 :
    Or rooted :)

15. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 14, 2014

16. shadymilkman
    Honeycomb Mar 14, 2014

shadymilkman , Mar 14, 2014 :
    the 64GB version does not obviate the need for uSDXC, it enhances it. If they are approaching it from the direction that 16GB is for people that dont require a lot of storage, and the 64GB is, then it would stand to reason they would also want to be able to have more than a paltry 64GB. I have 96GB (32GB emmc, 64GB uSDXC) on my 5 year old N900, its one of the biggest reasons I havent upgraded because storage has stagnated, and its sold for absurd overheard for no real reason other than profit. I have already purchased the 128GB that will be going in my N900 this weekend. uSDXC is necessary for me esp with now ChromeCast/DLNA.

17. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 14, 2014

18. shadymilkman
    Honeycomb Mar 14, 2014

shadymilkman , Mar 14, 2014 :
    ~35 (FLAC) Albums & other music (2500 songs give or take)
    ~350 assorted videos
    I dont know how many photos...

I drive about 1400mi a week, and the FM Tx is one of the best features designed into a device for me. Just tune to a blank station and play anything. the N900 can use use a component cable to connect to TVs, so its great to watch HD instead of streaming on my laptop. Id also rather not use my data plan or wait via WiFi to DL files (that i would have to upload, after initially downloading them... absurdly redundant) from "the cloud". Just easier to have my library with me, worry free.

I can DL 16GB worth of content in one sitting, so its more of a joke than anything else. Its odd to me how 16GB is blindly accepted even as the cameras on devices are starting to record 4K, which cant save directly to uSDXC.

Personally I would willing to pay for 128 + uSDXC.. but I suppose Im a One off ;P

Elisha Siegelman likes this.
  19. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 14, 2014

riffraff81 , Mar 14, 2014 :
    i don't see myself filling out my 64GB card but the 57 music albums i have stored on my card aren't in FLAC(320kbps MP3 sounds great) and my phone isn't my main entertainment center.

20. dmo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2014

dmo , Mar 14, 2014 :
    While I was a long time proponent of microSD, if Google's not going to properly support it and many apps don't play well, I'd say I'm willing to forego it. Now that's on the condition that large capacity phones are available. 64gb is good enough. I would be mad if they stopped at 32gb though. Grrrr Google.