Other Migrating data and apps to OnePlus 3T

1. Jon12345
    Donut Dec 6, 2016

Jon12345 , Dec 6, 2016 :
    My OnePlus 3T delivery is due tomorrow (how exciting!), so I want to get ready to migrate my data and apps from my Samsung Galaxy S5 (with SD card) to the OnePlus 3T.

What is the best way to do this? Are there some best practices? Is the OnePlus 3T gonna be much better than my S5? :)

Thanks,

Jon

2. zimcomm
    Eclair Dec 6, 2016

zimcomm , Dec 6, 2016 :
    I will say that I was never able to get the traditional Android approach to work.. ie. new phone and get prompted to restore from a previous phone. So I took it as an opportunity to start fresh.

dbau071101 likes this.
  3. RickyGotSkills
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2016

RickyGotSkills , Dec 6, 2016 :
    I used the Helium app on my old Galaxy Grand Prime, but could not get my 3T to connect with Helium on my laptop. All I really wanted to keep was my text messages so I used Super Backup and Restore. I backed up my messages on my old phone, saved the backup to my Google Drive then imported it on my new phone. Relatively simple process. My photos, ringtones/notification sounds got copied to my laptop then transferred over to my new 3T.

It still takes a week or more to settle into a new phone. But after having it for a week i LOVE my 3T. The dual sim is outstanding!!! I carry one phone now, for both personal and business use.

Cheers to you all!

~Rick.

4. Bartnl
    Lollipop Dec 6, 2016

Bartnl , Dec 6, 2016 :
    Original downloaded apps from the playstore will be put back on your phone during setup.
    Google will ask you this and from which phone you want the apps on your new phone.

All other data, like pics, music etc you can transfer to a PC and from there transfer it to your OP3T.
    Whatsapp mssg you need to backup within whatsapp (settings>chat>backup). This backup will be put back when using whatsapp for the first time.

During setup google will also give you an option to transfer data from another phone. No idea how this works, as I always set up as a new phone.

5. zimcomm
    Eclair Dec 6, 2016

zimcomm , Dec 6, 2016 :
    yes google will normally give you that option.. I tried multiple times with a factory reset an never got it to work :(

6. zimcomm
    Eclair Dec 6, 2016

zimcomm , Dec 6, 2016 :
    For Helium, set your phone to MIDI USB mode (not PTP).. that allowed Helium to work for me (to xfer some saved game data)

7. tt2011
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2016

8. Jon12345
    Donut Dec 7, 2016

Jon12345 , Dec 7, 2016 :
    Just found out I have to change SIMs too. My old phone is a Samsung S5 with a micro SIM. See that nowadays things have a nano SIM. When I change SIMs, will I lose any data? I mean does the Micro SIM store anything apart from the phone number?

9. RickyGotSkills
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2016

RickyGotSkills , Dec 7, 2016 :
    Hey! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers! ~Rick.